AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

I say keep him and move him forward, the position he was drafted as to play.

I thought he showed promise as a forward early days but his body continually let him down.

He's one of the few who cracks in and how many would have lost all confidence after the beatings he's taken and dropped their bundle?

There's a reason a few clubs are interested and it's not to play him down back !!

I'd be getting rid of a few others before him, namely Kelly, Cox, Davey x 2, Weideman and Gresham.
Absolutely not. He didn't make it as a forward or a midfielder earlier, and he isn't going to make it moving back there now. Particularly when he is a shocking kick.

He's also the same build as Langford, Stringer and Caddy. We don't need another mid-sized forward when we're crying out for better pressure small forwards and a stronger aerial presence from tall forwards.

Dons make call on Jayden Laverde​

Jayden Laverde has also attracted some rival interest from multiple Victorian clubs about a potential move.

Laverde remains contracted at Essendon for next season but could consider his options if he feels his spot in the senior side will be taken by injury-prone youngster Zach Reid alongside Ben McKay and Jordan Ridley for next season.

Laverde, 28, is a required player at the Bombers after managing 21 matches this season, following Brendon Zerk-Thatcher’s move to Port Adelaide last year.
That would be pretty random. Lifelong bombers fan yada yada. Guessing he was told he might not be in the team every week at the exit interviews and the rest is up to him.

That would be pretty random. Lifelong bombers fan yada yada. Guessing he was told he might not be in the team every week at the exit interviews and the rest is up to him.
He's been looking elsewhere for a while. You only have to go as far back as the last couple of games when he was just gazing up at the stands as his direct opponent got the footy.

Last edited:

Don't rate him at all but if we're losing Kelly and Heppell, probably would make the most sense to keep him for another year. Doubt we can fill up all these spots over one off season.

He will look pretty good in a better side.
He's a limited footballer but he's played out of position and out of role here and we certainly make our defenders jobs harder with the way we play.

He's been looking elsewhere for a while. You only have to go as far back as the last couple of games when he was just gazing up at the stands as his direct opponent got the footy.
It was the prince of seagulls.
8c5a7578db07a424b796c1fe4ea8bbbe.gif

Don't rate him at all but if we're losing Kelly and Heppell, probably would make the most sense to keep him for another year. Doubt we can fill up all these spots over one off season.
Even more so given Reid and Ridleys injury history. IF he goes then it is really only Weideman behind Hayes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we delist Kelly and get another one or two experienced defenders, then it'd be good to keep Laverde as a backup. Depends whether he's happy to be a backup though.

Obviously if everyone's fit he's unlikely to be in the starting 22. However we have injury prone defenders so it's pretty much guaranteed he'll get games in the seniors, just like he did this year.

I don’t mind when we trade out players because I have a somewhat morbid fascination in finding out whether the club was the issue or the player is just bog average.

So we have Carlton and Geelong interested in him.

Flip of a coin.

Is he shit (Why Carlton are chasing him)

or

Is he actually secretly good (Why Geelong are chasing him)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back