Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, you DO NOT berate a heart and soul man like Nank.
Nank would have more contested efforts in one game that Short has over his career.
Ok not everyone plays with Nanks desire, but a little respect!!
He also in the last quarter berated banks for not dishing out a backwards handball
Even though banks hit up a target 45 meters up the ground. Was really sooking big time

Pulled out of a marking contest in the last quarter and sprayed our captain for his kick.

That shit is cancer for the youngsters in the team.

Forget bigger bodies to protect the kids we HAVE to move him on.
got a bit off attude about himself
yet, can't back it up
little bit of B.Deledio at the end of his time with us

A few arguments based on the idea he’s injured, if the fact is he’s not injured then he is a waste of money.
At least Vickery could play in two positions this guy has only one game and if he’s going act like he’s important enough to chastise the Captain in front of tens of thousands people watching the game then he needs the hairy eyeball from the Coach or Nank.
He’s contracted for three more seasons after this on good money and if you look at his Cont Poss numbers, tackles, 1 percenters compared to Rioli or any other small def over the age of 25 this year..
He is a waste of money.

Look forward to seeing if Yze can turn this around into something that benefits the team and the club, one way or another.
IMO no Coach can let this slide by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played up in the preseason and was made VC a few weeks later. Now we’re seeing his true colours as a leader. Indefensible his last quarter squib.
Was that the incident in Mildura when the flea had to pull him up?

A few arguments based on the idea he’s injured, if the fact is he’s not injured then he is a waste of money.
At least Vickery could play in two positions this guy has only one game and if he’s going act like he’s important enough to chastise the Captain in front of tens of thousands people watching the game then he needs the hairy eyeball from the Coach or Nank.
He’s contracted for three more seasons after this on good money and if you look at his Cont Poss numbers, tackles, 1 percenters compared to Rioli or any other small def over the age of 25 this year..
He is a waste of money.

Look forward to seeing if Yze can turn this around into something that benefits the team and the club, one way or another.
IMO no Coach can let this slide by.
The problem and it’s a big one, he is in the leadership group, JDM, and three years so if Ouzo doesn’t turn him around he won’t be dropped so three more years of mediocre output , drank his own bath water when he won the JDM

Kaleb Smith should’ve replaced him, but only got half a quarter when he played as a starting sub. Then dropped the next week. Smith plays a tough brand of footy and has the leg speed and would be a perfect replacement and there’s no way he’d pull out of a contest . Yesterday in the VFL he had at least three similar contests as the Short one and he nullified every single one of them. Also Green was treated similarly and again showed what you can do when you start on the ground and room into the pace of AFL footy. Short should’ve been dropped months ago, but bc of his leadership role nobody has the guts to make the tough calls and the kids get pushed out first. I don’t care who you are if you’re out of form and constantly letting the team down with a lack of defensive effort and one percenters you should be dropped to get your mojo back.
I remember Houli being dropped in 2016 for similar efforts and he went to the VFL and absolutely killed it. Speaking to him in 2018 i cheekily mentioned it to him and he said it was embarrassing for him , but laughed in saying it. Then added it was his best medicine to prove that he belonged in the team. History tells us if you play out of form players regularly not only does it weaken the team it leads to players confidence dropping. Castagna was a recent classic example of this.

Short took a massive backwards step yesterday. He showed the exact reason why I want Baker to have a greater leadership role AND be moved back to the defensive line. If that was Baker in that position you can be as sure as boomer's increasing housing prices that Bakes would of worn the contact and made Ward either earn the mark with a contest or nullified it.

If I were Yze, before any of the group debriefs of this game I would pull Short into my office and go through that contest and say how it is unacceptable and as a leader he can't do that. I would then say that even if he doesn't believe he didn't do anything wrong I want him to put his hand up in front of the group and say it was a mistake and something he wishes he could do over.

By forcing Short to "Offer" his regret Yze is able to get the standards to come across well without the negative of being seen as picking on a player. It also shows the group that the Leaders are putting their hands up to when they don't go hard enough.

For me he needs to be out of the Defensive line and put onto the wing or into the VFL.

Short took a massive backwards step yesterday. He showed the exact reason why I want Baker to have a greater leadership role AND be moved back to the defensive line. If that was Baker in that position you can be as sure as boomer's increasing housing prices that Bakes would of worn the contact and made Ward either earn the mark with a contest or nullified it.

If I were Yze, before any of the group debriefs of this game I would pull Short into my office and go through that contest and say how it is unacceptable and as a leader he can't do that. I would then say that even if he doesn't believe he didn't do anything wrong I want him to put his hand up in front of the group and say it was a mistake and something he wishes he could do over.

By forcing Short to "Offer" his regret Yze is able to get the standards to come across well without the negative of being seen as picking on a player. It also shows the group that the Leaders are putting their hands up to when they don't go hard enough.

For me he needs to be out of the Defensive line and put onto the wing or into the VFL.
Yze will probably just laugh over it and have a joke with him. I love your concept, but it won't happen as that's a bit too old school even for Yze.

Yze will probably just laugh over it and have a joke with him. I love your concept, but it won't happen as that's a bit too old school even for Yze.
It is funny you say that is is old school as this was management techniques I was taught in my masters about 5 years ago. I am early 30's as well and this is what they said about dealing with younger generations.

Basically just said that you can have hard conversations but you shouldn't do it publicly and you need to also be constructive and have some positive.

It is funny you say that is is old school as this was management techniques I was taught in my masters about 5 years ago. I am early 30's as well and this is what they said about dealing with younger generations.

Basically just said that you can have hard conversations but you shouldn't do it publicly and you need to also be constructive and have some positive.
I said for Yze mate. Old school was Barrassi days where all sorts of expletives were uttered out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back