Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Upon reflection I reckon Short was always this bad he was just very well hidden. Never had to be accountable for a man. Was fed the ball on the outside so he could wind up and kick long to a contest. Problem we have now is there's no contest, so the ball just sails into the hands of an oppo defender. The dude won a b&f doing this as it was the crown jewel of Dimma's game plan. Completely goes to shit when not propped up by guns and has to do the hard stuff.

Fair to say I am not a fan of Jayden's "efforts" lately. Watching him pre-game, he seems to really struggle in all the ground ball drills they do. I suspect he may be carrying a back injury. If so, he has become a liability and needs to be rested. There are plenty of kids who can play in his place. On the otherhand if he is not injured and this is his standard, then he needs to be jettisoned asap.
The Richmond Back , better than the leg

Upon reflection I reckon Short was always this bad he was just very well hidden. Never had to be accountable for a man. Was fed the ball on the outside so he could wind up and kick long to a contest. Problem we have now is there's no contest, so the ball just sails into the hands of an oppo defender. The dude won a b&f doing this as it was the crown jewel of Dimma's game plan. Completely goes to shit when not propped up by guns and has to do the hard stuff.
Best described in cricketing terms as a flat track bully.

I wonder if Short was advised that he’ll no longer be considered for senior selection, would he then try to get to another club?
Who is going to do that? Seriously we aren’t Chelsea

richoatthedisco?

zero tackles and 9 turn overs is not AFL standard
I'm not even sure if it's VFL standard.

Surely we can't be the only ones who are seeing this?

I'm not even sure if it's VFL standard.

Surely we can't be the only ones who are seeing this?
It’s so frustrating and why I keep saying Yze sets low standards. Senior players continue to be gifted games after constantly failing, yet younger guys are dropped the minute they have a bad game. Smith should be playing before Short no matter what as long term is more important than Short term.

Disagree. He was always a clean enough player and one of his worst flaws this year is fumbling and over running the ball which has resulted in I don't know how many goals. He never used to turn the ball over as badly as he has and he's having his worst tackling year of his career. There's been a drop off from his game.

Upon reflection I reckon Short was always this bad he was just very well hidden. Never had to be accountable for a man. Was fed the ball on the outside so he could wind up and kick long to a contest.
I think you're right. He was doing it in 2017 and late in the season, he was dropped and we improved immediately. Nothing's changed. He was never accountable then and he's not now. He didn't put his head over the ball then and he doesn't now. The only thing different is now he's vice-captain and won't be dropped. The icing on the cake was a) when he had a go at Cumberland for costing us a shot at goal against Adelaide. Fair enough it was really dumb by Noah, but coming from Short...and b) when he had a go at Nank for kicking across goal when he could have at least made a contest but pulled out.

He's made slipping over under the slightest pressure an art form.

I would happily replace him with anyone else on our list.

Last edited:
Disagree. He was always a clean enough player and one of his worst flaws this year is fumbling and over running the ball which has resulted in I don't know how many goals. He never used to turn the ball over as badly as he has and he's having his worst tackling year of his career. There's been a drop off from his game.
He was always a vanilla footballer and low on defensive pressure. His disposal was always appearing better as Lynch and Jack with the three amigos scrapped , defended and locked the ball in. Then all our gun mids with Houli covered for him in the BL. He was always a role player in a champion side and would capitulate in an average side. Brandon Ellis says hello at the Suns.

He was always a vanilla footballer and low on defensive pressure. His disposal was always appearing better as Lynch and Jack with the three amigos scrapped , defended and locked the ball in. Then all our gun mids with Houli covered for him in the BL. He was always a role player in a champion side and would capitulate in an average side. Brandon Ellis says hello at the Suns.
Ellis had more heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said this months ago, the problem is further up the field, otherwise change his role.

You're describing most HBFs in the AFL though. For some reason his kicking has turned to dogshit and that was his 1 wood. Without it he's an absolute passenger.

I wouldn't be writing him off yet though. Yze needs to get him out of the backline. He started as a small forward, I reckon he could play a role as a HFF comfortably.

Last edited:
I agree , but that wouldn’t be hard to eclipse. 😂
Think that's a bit unfair on Brando, perhaps not the most courageous player, but he ran hard both ways, not something I can say with any conviction about Short.
In general Short is a better kick than Brandon, but that's been failing him this year so all of his other deficiencies look worse.

Whenever I see short trying to pinpoint a pass
Shocked Oh No GIF

Its concerning with his form and our lack of small forwards this year that he hasnt been tried up there

Dont know what his future holds but if we get heaps of picks in the first round this year, the first rounders arent the ones I wanna see in the vfl next year.

HBF and HFF is where the new kids get their start

Just wanted to show a bit of love for Shorty.

Yes, he hasn’t had a good season on field. But in a year where every second bloke has been rumoured to “want out” (including a lot of his close mates), Jayden continues to front the media and talk about the club in such a glowing and positive way- something we have really needed in a tough year this season.

I appreciate him for everything he’s done so far in his career for our great club.. and characters like him are going to be vital in this next 2-3 year period as we develop young talent.

Go easy on him, he’s a good egg!

Just wanted to show a bit of love for Shorty.

Yes, he hasn’t had a good season on field. But in a year where every second bloke has been rumoured to “want out” (including a lot of his close mates), Jayden continues to front the media and talk about the club in such a glowing and positive way- something we have really needed in a tough year this season.

I appreciate him for everything he’s done so far in his career for our great club.. and characters like him are going to be vital in this next 2-3 year period as we develop young talent.

Go easy on him, he’s a good egg!

He was a good egg, he’s rotten now

His one wood of a big kick has disappeared.

It's an absolute blight on our football club if Jayden short is on our list next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back