Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat with Michaels for half the game. We both were shocked to see that Short went at 96% near the end of the last quarter. His ball use was shocking. Often he'd gather, turn and bomb long, without looking and turn it over. Statisticians having a laugh at him going over 90% DE.

Bloke is the weakest link in the chain down back and with Rioli likely gone, we desperately need someone to step up (Hopefully we draft Travaglia.)

Sat with Michaels for half the game. We both were shocked to see that Short went at 96% near the end of the last quarter. His ball use was shocking. Often he'd gather, turn and bomb long, without looking and turn it over. Statisticians having a laugh at him going over 90% DE.

Bloke is the weakest link in the chain down back and with Rioli likely gone, we desperately need someone to step up (Hopefully we draft Travaglia.)
Let's not hear this bs his carrying something to herd it a fair bit. To many excuses for this bloke soft as butter.

Let's not hear this bs his carrying something to herd it a fair bit. To many excuses for this bloke soft as butter.

He's carrying a torn heart muscle...

Is it just me or does he go to ground every single time there is even the slightest chance of a physical contest?

We seriously need to find some way to get rid of this guy.

Long kicks to a contest are considered an effective kick.

Is it just me or does he go to ground every single time there is even the slightest chance of a physical contest?

100%. Something I noticed this season too. It’s a defence mechanism for him. “I couldn’t contest it, I lost my feet”, when in actuality, he’s doing it intentionally every single time.

Like the tackle in the last v Hawks on Chol runnig into goal.
First he tried to not have to tackle and when he eventually half -committed, he hang on for a second and went to the ground.
Feeble.
And not an example to younger teammates.
Surely jettisoned from the leadership group next season.

Last edited:

Yeah we had to triple check that!

100%. Something I noticed this season too. It’s a defence mechanism for him. “I couldn’t contest it, I lost my feet”, when in actuality, he’s doing it intentionally every single time.
How can the coaching group not notice this? I'll admit, it probably took me until halfway through the year to notice he does it every single time, but I would have thought our coaches could have spotted it earlier than me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Nank with the ball deep in the back line and short free.

"TOBY TOBY" he yelled, Nank kicks long, to a contest, "****ing hell" short screamed in frustration.

Nank reluctant to kick the ball to a free Jayden Short shows the disharmony in the group. The trust is gone.

Shorts not there to defend (he doesn't know how), yet even guys like Miller and Nank were avoiding him today.

Anytime Rioli was within 15 metres everyone was looking to give it to him

Saw Nank with the ball deep in the back line and short free.

"TOBY TOBY" he yelled, Nank kicks long, to a contest, "****ing hell" short screamed in frustration.

Nank reluctant to kick the ball to a free Jayden Short shows the disharmony in the group. The trust is gone.

Shorts not there to defend (he doesn't know how), yet even guys like Miller and Nank were avoiding him today.

Anytime Rioli was within 15 metres everyone was looking to give it to him
Wasn't it Nank that tried to pass it to him in the backline a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't a great kick but short just sat under it and let an opponent sail over him for a goal.
Obviously Nank learnt from that time not to trust his own kick and certainly not to trust Short if he had to contest for the ball.
His role is a sweeping half back, not to defend (which he can't anyway) and use the ball going forward in attack.
I don't remember his disposal being so putrid, but perhaps when he had some decent targets up forward they made him look a better player.
While we have another pea heart in Kozi or worse still Ryan as a target, Shot is going to look terrible in our backline.
He won't get traded and if we lose Daniel there is no way they will move him from the backline for his "experience and leadership".
Agree with others it might be better if we could hide him forward. Perhaps a wing, but I prefer others there.
Going to do our heads in for a year or two more yet I fear.

Prefer Xavier Lindsay much better kick

Wasn't it Nank that tried to pass it to him in the backline a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't a great kick but short just sat under it and let an opponent sail over him for a goal.
Obviously Nank learnt from that time not to trust his own kick and certainly not to trust Short if he had to contest for the ball.
His role is a sweeping half back, not to defend (which he can't anyway) and use the ball going forward in attack.
I don't remember his disposal being so putrid, but perhaps when he had some decent targets up forward they made him look a better player.
While we have another pea heart in Kozi or worse still Ryan as a target, Shot is going to look terrible in our backline.
He won't get traded and if we lose Daniel there is no way they will move him from the backline for his "experience and leadership".
Agree with others it might be better if we could hide him forward. Perhaps a wing, but I prefer others there.
Should not be at our club next year

Yeah, it was. Same game I think, where a (poor) pass from Taranto (I think) landed just short of him and rather than get the head over the ball and pick it up he tried to stop with his foot.

Didn’t control it, ball bounced away and the opposition took it away and goaled. An appalling effort.

Had he been dropped by Round six he could’ve pulled his finger out . Injuries saved him a lot , but it still needed to happen as Smith was often available. We needed games into him and Short needed to be back in the vfl improving the defensive side of his game. I blame Yze as he sets low standards and seemed to put a few senior players under his wing.
With such a disgusting season Yze’s only gain from it was to just put games and more games into kids as we were getting smashed with the senior players anyway. Kmac, Short,Graham and Kosi were a disaster all year.

Last edited:
Agree with everything. Problem is you can no longer afford to hide guys because of deficiencies. If they tried to bury him forward, you are still basically playing a man down. His lack of defensive skills and effort means his direct opponent will just rebound out of the backline. The romance people used to see because he ran past a teammate 60 out, and bomb a long goal, faded long ago. Has to go.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back