Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat with Michaels for half the game. We both were shocked to see that Short went at 96% near the end of the last quarter. His ball use was shocking. Often he'd gather, turn and bomb long, without looking and turn it over. Statisticians having a laugh at him going over 90% DE.

Bloke is the weakest link in the chain down back and with Rioli likely gone, we desperately need someone to step up (Hopefully we draft Travaglia.)
Travaglia would be a great get.

Always liked Short, but gee wiz, he needs a major change up next year.
Don't know if he was carrying something or was just plain sh!thouse. Maybe a mix of both - but he was putrid this year.
He’s not going anywhere, and the club will back him in to turn it around.
He’s no dud, but he had an annus horribilus.

He’s not going anywhere, and the club will back him in to turn it around.
He’s no dud, but he had an annus horribilus.
He wants the ball every time and calls for it in the wrong places then has to work extra hard to extract himself from places he should never be in the first place.

There was one on the weekend, early in the game where we had the ball central backline, Short calls for it 20m 90º away hard up agains the boundary with nowhere to go. Might have been a young player who gave it too him because he is young and Short is senior, but does my head in. Get him off the half back and he will be fine, he is a good player overall, but tries to do too much run and linking up. He is no Daniel Rioli.

Short will stay and play as a mentor and to take on mature bodies. Hopefully he turn his form around. But right now we need his leadership
Do we? What example is he setting by going to ground every time a sees a contest coming up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short will stay and play as a mentor and to take on mature bodies. Hopefully he turn his form around. But right now we need his leadership
Mentoring, Leadership and taking on mature bodies are not on Short’s resume’.

A horrendous example of leadership for any youngsters at the club.

Doesn't bring others into the game.

Doesn't lead by example.

Doesn't break the lines.

Plays back but isn't naturally defensive.

Takes the unaccountable option of dump kicks down the line or handballing to others who are about to be wrapped up in a tackle.

A horrendous example of leadership for any youngsters at the club.

Doesn't bring others into the game.

Doesn't lead by example.

Doesn't break the lines.

Plays back but isn't naturally defensive.

Takes the unaccountable option of dump kicks down the line or handballing to others who are about to be wrapped up in a tackle.
And otherwise just average

‘Take on mature bodies’.
The guy is the most bruise-free player in the AFL.
Surely you’re taking the piss?
So much evidence of him pulling out of contests and not wanting to tackle or take contact this year.
You’d be pissed being a Richmond defender watching this bloke run around and chase kicks while at the same time failing to man up or apply pressure.
You don’t find courage at 26 or 27!

‘Take on mature bodies’.
The guy is the most bruise-free player in the AFL.
Surely you’re taking the piss?
So much evidence of him pulling out of contests and not wanting to tackle or take contact this year.
You’d be pissed being a Richmond defender watching this bloke run around and chase kicks while at the same time failing to man up or apply pressure.
You don’t find courage at 26 or 27!
Look mate, all I am saying is that Short can be used as someone to take pressure off the young kids. Never said he was hard a cat's head.

I also said that hopefully Short gets some form again, cause hsi form has been patchy at best this year.

Basically we need these older guys to set standards, provide mentoring, and to act as a physical shield for the young guys. Get that balance right and we don't end up like North. We get the class in and rebound quickly with a strong young list. That is what Short et al do for us now.

Where do you hide Shorty? he has been a massive liability...
He was questioned about being soft when he missed the Premiership in 2017.

Was great for a few years but has been horrible the last few years no dare, no great kicking.

Look mate, all I am saying is that Short can be used as someone to take pressure off the young kids. Never said he was hard a cat's head.

I also said that hopefully Short gets some form again, cause hsi form has been patchy at best this year.

Basically we need these older guys to set standards, provide mentoring, and to act as a physical shield for the young guys. Get that balance right and we don't end up like North. We get the class in and rebound quickly with a strong young list. That is what Short et al do for us now.
I'm sorry, but he doesn't take the pressure off anyone, let alone kids.
His absence of pressure and tackling and want to play 'bruise-free' footy exposes his teammates.
I would hate to play alongside him as I know he desn't have my back an das soon as the avalanche starts, he'll be off chasing kicks instead of being accountable.
'A physical shield'. Blokes like Short ar far from a shield, they're leaky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back