Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack, seriously wrong on this occasion, it isn't possible to be sitting third on the AFL list 'for marks taken' and be a no one special. 294 disposals as well. No wonder we over looked Selwood.

Hansen has taken off.

Without an opponent......I stand by all comments made and will be proven correct in the long run.

Without an opponent......I stand by all comments made and will be proven correct in the long run.

bb8-have-you-gone-crazy.gif

You severely under rate intercept marks by the sounds of it.

And you seriously underrate tackling, spoiling and manning up by the sounds of it, lol. What the hell is an intercept mark and when did this become part of AFL footy, it is a MARK, by your reasoning any mark taken in front of an opponent is an 'intercept mark' its just another Americanism in our game that doesnt belong. "Intercept marks and intercept possessions are buzz phrases in the industry"

And you seriously underrate tackling, spoiling and manning up by the sounds of it, lol. What the hell is an intercept mark and when did this become part of AFL footy, it is a MARK, by your reasoning any mark taken in front of an opponent is an 'intercept mark' its just another Americanism in our game that doesnt belong. "Intercept marks and intercept possessions are buzz phrases in the industry"

There are reasons why intercept marking has become a buzz word and you obviously do not understand them, so I'll go back in time to try and explain it for you. Basically the game can be broken down into 3 parts-We have it, they have it, the ball is in dispute. When they have it and they kick it into the forward line and they mark it they have a shot on goal and can score. The team with the biggest score wins. If they have it and it is kicked into the forward line and there is no mark then the ball is in dispute and we might win it back, or they might get it and kick a score. (see point before about team with biggest score winning). If they have it and they kick it into the forward line and we mark it, the game can stop, we have it and they can't score! Getting my drift yet? Fast forward to the future (ie now) when teams take control of the ball in the back half this is the chance to rebound and kick a score (and the team with the biggest score wins). Given we are the best team at scoring from our back half in the competition then an intercept mark in our back half could be the most valuable stat to our team. Hope that clears it up.

There are reasons why intercept marking has become a buzz word and you obviously do not understand them, so I'll go back in time to try and explain it for you. Basically the game can be broken down into 3 parts-We have it, they have it, the ball is in dispute. When they have it and they kick it into the forward line and they mark it they have a shot on goal and can score. The team with the biggest score wins. If they have it and it is kicked into the forward line and there is no mark then the ball is in dispute and we might win it back, or they might get it and kick a score. (see point before about team with biggest score winning). If they have it and they kick it into the forward line and we mark it, the game can stop, we have it and they can't score! Getting my drift yet? Fast forward to the future (ie now) when teams take control of the ball in the back half this is the chance to rebound and kick a score (and the team with the biggest score wins). Given we are the best team at scoring from our back half in the competition then an intercept mark in our back half could be the most valuable stat to our team. Hope that clears it up.

1000 intercept likes.

Given we are the best team at scoring from our back half in the competition then an intercept mark in our back half could be the most valuable stat to our team.
I'll leave the quibbling with non-entities to those who care.

But, as to your quote, Big H, is that true? I thought Geelong were kings of that this year, and that we'd swung back to focusing on scoring from clearances. I know we scored 90% or something from turnovers yesterday. :)

Thanks for that insight into AFL, i've only been playing, attending and watching for 40 years, lol, I think I know the game pretty darn well actually;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an absolute disgrace that someone would rather a negative opinion of a player be right than be wrong.

I dont have a negative opinion of Hansen at all i just dont think he is as good or as valuable as you make him out to be, as the Meerkat says "simples"! He has come a long way with his attitude and involvement in games this year I have already acknowledged that:thumbsu:

Geez I thought he was ok again. Daniher may be a kid but he has enormous talent and does stand as high as a light tower. I thought Keys competed well, helped others by spoiling in pack situations and generally assisted with the backline's functioning as a unit in Scooter's absence.

So did I , I like him and Hansen together gives us a different dynamic, one floats like a butterfly the other stings like a bee.

I have always had a bit of a different view of Luke as a player. I think he is a very sound ball user and decision maker whose disposal issues have just been a player with less than 20 games adjusting to the speed of AFL. Athletically, I don't think he's a dinosaur either.

But defensively he has a lot of work to do. The last two weeks have only confirmed that. For such a big unit he can be outbodied by younger, smaller players.

I thought he had a solid game. The whole backline was a little disorganised with Grima injured and no Hunter.

Geez I thought he was ok again. Daniher may be a kid but he has enormous talent and does stand as high as a light tower. I thought Keys competed well, helped others by spoiling in pack situations and generally assisted with the backline's functioning as a unit in Scooter's absence.

He's fine in the pack situations. But when he's one out or has the ball, it just doesn't seem to be improving fast enough.

He's fine in the pack situations. But when he's one out or has the ball, it just doesn't seem to be improving fast enough.

A week's a long time in footy then as he was fine in either situation last week I would've thought.

Keys was solid against * but yesterday's game (and post-match) showed just why Narni should be kept. Not just important onfield, but you can see from anywhere you looked how important he is to the team culture. I hope Luke stays, but it will still be as a backup/successor to Grima and Thompson (and Hansen), as all three are still a class above him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back