Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously, part of the "unofficial" agreement around the Dal Santo deal, but I can live with that.
A trade of Dal Santo for Delaney, with pick 25 being sent their way by the AFL works a lot better for us, than having to come up with the pick ourselves.
So as much as it seemed tempting to use Delaney for some quality pick upgrade, it is clear this wasn't an option.
We move on.

Obviously, part of the "unofficial" agreement around the Dal Santo deal, but I can live with that.
A trade of Dal Santo for Delaney, with pick 25 being sent their way by the AFL works a lot better for us, than having to come up with the pick ourselves.
So as much as it seemed tempting to use Delaney for some quality pick upgrade, it is clear this wasn't an option.
We move on.
Yep!

Good luck Keys.

Good trading by the sounds of it. Weird that the agreement couldn't have been made day 1, but that's always been felchin's MO.

but then we wouldn't have had the hype, the suspense and the thrilling last minute signing and all the publicity that went with it. Shrewd marketing by the nmfc imo.

Good trading by the sounds of it. Weird that the agreement couldn't have been made day 1, but that's always been felchin's MO.

I think we wanted to get NDS as a FA before we would give Delaney away for nothing. If the Saints made us use pick 26 on NDS we may have shopped Delaney around. It all worked out in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still kind of annoyed by this. I now it's not a huge deal but I would have thought they have shown they value Luke enough to give us something of value for him. Don't the Saints have, like, 4 picks before 40? Seems like they could have thrown us a courtesy upgrade in the 40s. Unless they're still planning to on-trade some of those 20-something picks I suppose.

Happy with the trade, don't think Luke had any future at the club. If a Delaney does play regular seniors footy it'll be his brother.

St Kilda have done really well out of the NDS deal. Delaney is no chump.
He is no champ either. We all know his strengths and weaknesses really well, and it's no secret that his two main weaknesses are his lack of closing speed on the lead (think back to Port Adelaide game in 2012 or Essendon game in 2013 as examples) and his decision making with the ball is average at best. He also hasn't got the confidence to catch the ball deep in defense, when he is in the best position. I can recall a number of times when his dropped marks lead to goals against us. His main strength is his size and his one on one work against big power forwards, but to me, he is not a complete defender and will never be one. He can do the job for a side that lacks any size down back, but given how the game is played today with all defenders being required to find targets out of defense consistently, and with few genuine quality power forwards around, I think Luke was always going to be a back up option for us. Good luck to him.

We picked up NDS for nothing, plus traded a player we wont use for a pick we wont use. Gotta be satisfied with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back