Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude here guys but interested about the compensation we get if you guys do land Dal...what are you all thinking? Delaney and 2nd rounder? Will that suffice? The Saints don't have to let him go as a free agent due to the trigger clause so I'd say we have the upper hand here...thoughts?

You guys will let him go as a free agent, take the compensation and the Delaney trade will be heavily weighted in your favour.

If the compensation is end of 1st round the Delaney trade will be more even.

Sorry to intrude here guys but interested about the compensation we get if you guys do land Dal...what are you all thinking? Delaney and 2nd rounder? Will that suffice? The Saints don't have to let him go as a free agent due to the trigger clause so I'd say we have the upper hand here...thoughts?
Your best bet and what came across on the footy show last night is we get dal as a free agent. Pay him accordingly and use should get a reasonable pick.

Well i can only talk for myself, and all im talking is NDS as a free agent. In the 10 years on this forum (and more on the old north forum) ive never been for selling the farm. If convincing StKilda to deal with Nick as a FA takes selling Keys cheap, then im up for that. If we have our first 2 picks and an upgraded 3rd or worst case no third i can live with that and certainly dont think we're selling our future.

I agree grabbing players before you're ready and inflating your position is poor management. If possible just look through my own form, i ripped shreds off our recruitment/ trade policies pre Brad Scott. I remember having many an argument over this sort of thing. Last year (either Caddy or Boak) and this year (Thomas or NDS) are the first years ive been for it. Admittedly i favored Caddy, but how might of a year with 10 loses below 16pts (i think it was) mightve ended up with Boak? Apart from Hawthorn and Freo most teams look like rolling over.

Its time for us to top up a little, not sell the farm. First time since the 90s.

I'll go with that sensible approach in regards to NDS

Would likely get end of first round via FA for NDS. Not even sure where Delaney wants to go atm.

So the consensus is we let Dal go via Fa and pick up the compo...what do we see the value of the compo as? We got 13 for BJ last year but its a given we aren't getting near that for Dal and rightly so. So where does the pick lie? If its mid to late second round I sense the saints would rather hold onto Dal. The risk is we don't know the compo until after the player leaves, not sure that is a plus for us either...

Given his age I would say he has 3 years of solid footy left. In that time you guys should be shooting for top 4 finishes. Is it a case of North wanting him more than we necessarily want to see him go...his value will be determined by how much North is willing to pay. It should be an interesting month or so ahead.

For what it's worth is rather see him in blue and white stripes than black and white...

So the consensus is we let Dal go via Fa and pick up the compo...what do we see the value of the compo as? We got 13 for BJ last year but its a given we aren't getting near that for Dal and rightly so. So where does the pick lie? If its mid to late second round I sense the saints would rather hold onto Dal. The risk is we don't know the compo until after the player leaves, not sure that is a plus for us either...

Given his age I would say he has 3 years of solid footy left. In that time you guys should be shooting for top 4 finishes. Is it a case of North wanting him more than we necessarily want to see him go...his value will be determined by how much North is willing to pay. It should be an interesting month or so ahead.

For what it's worth is rather see him in blue and white stripes than black and white...

The public probably won't but I guarantee you the club will.

Would think you would get an end of first round pick which is more valuable than what you would get from a trade with us. A club like GC and GWS will value that compensation pick a lot higher and you would likely be able to trade that for a much better pick or higher quality player. Cats got Caddy with a compensation pick, the new clubs want to get access to good quality picks at a later stage.

So you could effectively get something a lot more valuable with that compo pick if you trade it.

Would think you would get an end of first round pick which is more valuable than what you would get from a trade with us. A club like GC and GWS will value that compensation pick a lot higher and you would likely be able to trade that for a much better pick or higher quality player. Cats got Caddy with a compensation pick, the new clubs want to get access to good quality picks at a later stage.

So you could effectively get something a lot more valuable with that compo pick if you trade it.

I certainly see your point. However if we get our hands on a first round pick it is not going anywhere other than to the draft table with us. Can't see us getting a first round pick in FA though...Hawthorn got nothing for Young last year...hope I'm wrong.

I certainly see your point. However if we get our hands on a first round pick it is not going anywhere other than to the draft table with us. Can't see us getting a first round pick in FA though...Hawthorn got nothing for Young last year...hope I'm wrong.

Collingwood didn't have much cap space, I think he took a pretty light contract and he was a rookie, I think the 3rd rounder they got was pretty decent. It is all guesswork until we find out more, Saints will obviously ask what compensation they would receive for Dal Santo by the AFL if he was a free agent.

I am guessing you probably don't want to pay him that year and we would know this.

I think the FA and we only deal with you re: Delaney is still the likely outcome.

the problem is we don't have a first rounder as it will be used on LMac and even if we did, I doubt highly (even taking into account NDS is the greatest St Kilda player of all time) at 30 NDS is worth pick 8 in the draft, for all concerned an end of first round compo pick would be the best all could hope for, my understanding is a lot of weight in this decision is the length and value of the FAs contract at his new club, so it may even be in St Kilda's best long term interest to pay some of NDS's contract through a donation to North so instead of us writing $400K on his contract we write $600K, just a thought;). is that draft tampering? pretty sure Melbourne would get away with it.

What exactly is the point of getting Luke for a second round pick, if we then trade our first pick for another second rounder? We would still end with Luke and a second round pick, and therefore still essentially be getting him for a first round pick...
Quit adding logic to this thread you are upsetting the mood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year Port received compensation picks 30 & 31 for Chaplin and Pearce.

Surely Dal is worth more than those two?

What is NDS, 30? That has to have a serious impact on value both in free agency and trade terms.

Yeah but so would being a much better player.

I'd say it would be an end of first round pick or a second round pick that comes immediately after the Saints' current one. Either way, it's more valuable than what we can offer them, plus I'm sure we'd very gladly move Delaney onto them if they were willing to let Dal Santo go to us.

I'd say it would be an end of first round pick or a second round pick that comes immediately after the Saints' current one. Either way, it's more valuable than what we can offer them, plus I'm sure we'd very gladly move Delaney onto them if they were willing to let Dal Santo go to us.

That's what I said earlier Dal will go as a free agent and the Delaney pick will be weighted either way depending on how good the compo pick is.

Age needs to be looked at in a different light with FA's. your not going to get a 24 yr old free agent. The minimum would be 26, the max 33 say. Therefor Dal is about middle of the road.

Free agent and we get saints 3rd for Luke . :thumbsu:

FA compensation is weighted heavily towards the yearly salary. Age and length of contract are still considered but not as much as you might think.

would st.kilda take liam anthony to sweeten the deal? i think thats a fair deal!
Anthony is a decent backup player, I see no need to include him unless he wants to go and at 26 I doubt he would be what St Kilda is after during a rebuild phase, but not really fussed either way.

Last year Port received compensation picks 30 & 31 for Chaplin and Pearce.
Surely Dal is worth more than those two?
I agree Harris10, surely, greatest St Kilda player to pull on a pair of football boots, mid first round easy.;)

What is NDS, 30? That has to have a serious impact on value both in free agency and trade terms.
no. I have been told many times 2 years of NDS is worth more then 12 years of BMcK, and he was a first rounder.

Age needs to be looked at in a different light with FA's. your not going to get a 24 yr old free agent. The minimum would be 26, the max 33 say. Therefor Dal is about middle of the road.
so 30 is the new 25:thumbsu: would Dustin Fletcher be 38 or 33 if he was a FA?;)

Free agent and we get saints 3rd for Luke . :thumbsu:
if we really have to have him, I doubt very much we will be selecting any more then 3 selections at the draft table, so we could exchange our 3rd, 4th and 5th draft picks for St Kilda's 2nd (very hopeful) or 3rd selection.

This window period people keep referring to is a bit concerning to me because we need to address some major problems we have failed to address since Scott came to the club and not sure they will be resolved just because of +1 or +2 or +3 years.

It is a fallacy to just believe it is going to happen. What if it is not? What if our window is a lot further away because we have been circle jerking and haven't addressed major issues. If we can't play on the road, can't play in the wet and can't be competitive against teams who flood then it is going to be a major roadblock to success.

I just hope we don't sell the farm on a false promise of success. Sound recruitment has given us a good list, I just hope we don't get it wrong because bad calls during late in the Pagan and during Laidley's era made us a poor side for over a decade, what you do has an impact for a long period of time.

Apart from the Semi-Final we won in 2007, we were not a poor side just a bit limited but we had a great shinboner spirit! It worries me that we are going to take a player based on the fact JB likes to say 'the smooth-mover' when commentating ffs. I dont like the fact we are giving up our only true key-position 'play on the gorillas' backman build-wise, Thompson great but not key nor Grima nor Hansen. Food for thought I would say.

Apart from the Semi-Final we won in 2007, we were not a poor side just a bit limited but we had a great shinboner spirit! It worries me that we are going to take a player based on the fact JB likes to say 'the smooth-mover' when commentating ffs. I dont like the fact we are giving up our only true key-position 'play on the gorillas' backman build-wise, Thompson great but not key nor Grima nor Hansen. Food for thought I would say.

Yes he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back