Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes you get into these negotiations to drive up the price for the other club. Our dealings over Figjam has turned Collingwood from a premiership club to a basket case. Geelong ended up giving away the farm to retain Cook. Same goes for Betts. And if Dal Santo ultimately would prefer to play out his career with 3 wooden spoons rather than a shot at a premiership, then he is not North Melbourne material.

This issue is massively exaggerated , but I will buy in anyway.

I think one part is money. We dont have a lot to cover if something goes wrong, so we make fair and reasonable offers and dont pay overs, which is good. But as a consequence we dont put an offer down that makes people have no other choice ala Buddy, scully, goddard.

And clearly we have a habit of choosing people loyal to a specific club.

We're a proud club with good people. Adam Simpson, John Longmire, Alastair Clarkson. I think we're good enough for Nick Dal Santo.

This issue is massively over-exaggerated , but I will buy in anyway.

I think one part is money. We dont have a lot to cover if something goes wrong, so we make fair and reasonable offers and dont pay overs, which is good. But as a consequence we dont put an offer down that makes people have no other choice ala Buddy, scully, goddard.

And clearly we have a habit of choosing people loyal to a specific club.
Brad Scott Contract.

Been thinking about why Petrie would discuss a potential player we are trying to lure. I'm thinking it's to get the word out to ease saints fans when the actual trade/free agent happens.

Let's see how Adelaide go resigning Dangerfield if they keep
paying overs for the likes of Betts.
North got many deals over the line. Remember? Nathan Thompson, Jon Hay, Leigh Brown.
That went well for us...
In fact, that "landing of a big fish" put our list back 3 years.
Look at the quality we have signed! Aaron Black on a long term deal when the grand finalists were coming hard at him from his home state.
How would people feel when we could only offer Atley 350,000 rather than 450,000 because we have stacked up on Betts and co.
If Dal Santo wants to come, great.
If he doesn't, who cares? He is a 30 year old, outside player who has as small wang and is such a moron
he would rather stay at a club with a dreadful coach, where players light up dwarfs and will win 10 games for the rest of his career.

Ok ok ok ok...... I thought a few might take this the wrong way so lets go back to just facts.
AFL is about winning Grand Finals so....

2012 Sydney - Kennedy, Mattner, Mumford, Richards, Shaw, Morton (Ok Forget him), McGlynn.

2013 Hawks - Burgoyne, Guerra, Gunston, Lake, Gibson, Hale.

This is the new model to win flags now that you can just get up and leave a club.

Some of you on here don't like change but those of you with that mindset are already 2 years behind the system.

I am one right now think we are as marketable as any side in the comp, but if people don't want to come now.....

God help if we were on the way down like poor Saints and Dees !!!!

Some times you have to pay "Overs" to buy a Melbourne Cup winner at the sales !!!!

From the Hun:

St Kilda midfielder Nick Dal Santo wants out, but no blood on his hands

St KILDA'S internal upheaval has stalled a decision on Nick Dal Santo, with key club chiefs unable to agree on his future.
The Saints, who were yesterday forced to fend off speculation about coach Scott Watters, have left Dal Santo in limbo.

The Herald Sun understands that members of the football department are butting heads over whether to let the 29-year-old leave Seaford.

Dal Santo wants to join North Melbourne after last week meeting with the Roos’ leadership group, however he doesn’t want to be the one to pull the trigger and be seen to be jumping ship.

But Saints fans can breathe a sigh of relief over the future of Leigh Montagna, with St Kilda yesterday insisting the contracted midfielder would stay.

Asked yesterday about Dal Santo, St Kilda head of football Chris Pelchen said: “There has been much speculation surrounding Nick Dal Santo’s possible move from St Kilda.

“It should be emphasised that neither Nick or the club has committed to trading him and while there has been some interest received from other clubs, any move would only occur through mutual agreement.”

Pelchen said Montagna would play out the rest of his contract.

“Leigh is contracted for 2014. Neither he or the club has expressed a desire to part ways ahead of next season and he is absolutely a required player,” he said.

“We look forward to having ‘Joey’ play an important role for the Saints again next year.”

Despite not getting a consistent message from the Saints on Dal Santo, North Melbourne remains confident it will eventually get its man to Arden St.

Essendon also had some interest in the three-time All-Australian, but that is believed to have cooled.

North Melbourne forward Drew Petrie left the meeting with Dal Santo hopeful he could soon call him a teammate.

“He wanted to find out about North Melbourne and we wanted to find out about Nick’s intentions and how much longer he thinks he can play and where he can play positionally,” Petrie said.

“It was just a mutual discussion about him wanting to know about North and about us asking him about his intentions going forward.

“It’s still his decision and it’s up in the air and it has to be done through the right processes.”

The Roos could yet get Dal Santo for nothing if the Saint revoked his right to a final year on a contract that has a trigger clause and became a free agent.

With Dal Santo well paid, the Saints could then be given a first-round pick as compensation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok ok ok ok...... I thought a few might take this the wrong way so lets go back to just facts.

2012 Sydney - Kennedy, Mattner, Mumford, Richards, Shaw, Morton (Ok Forget him), McGlynn.

This is the new model to win flags now that you can just get up and leave a club.

Some of you on here don't like change but those of you with that mindset are already 2 years behind the system.

I am one right now think we are as marketable as any side in the comp, but if people don't want to come now.....

Some times you have to pay "Overs" to buy a Melbourne Cup winner at the sales !!!!
I like your thinking Wellsfan......next year we will seriously leap frog some of this years finals teams, then watch what happens.....theyll be cueing up next year, so it will be smart to think ahead even get our list managers to look who's available now for next year.

Buckley was always going to go to Collingwood ... both times. Collingwood was and is his dream. We would be silly (in the extreme) to take it personally.

Cook was always a thought bubble but never a serious proposition. He has built Geelong into a powerhouse and was never seriously entertaining a shift. Not seriously.

Eddie Betts wanted more money. Adelaide offered more. So you could say that we rejected Eddie (by not offering more) rather than feeling upset that Eddie rejected us.

We're fine.

A: If you follow whats happened in the past your always behind the 8 ball.

B: Cant count Sydney with their extra $1m golden pass cap space.

C: Hawthorn tanked

D: Geelong have been the best model for 10 years and have been largely home grown.

All I want to hear from Pelchen is "She sells seas shells by the sea shore" for the lols, followed by "we'll be supporting Nick's move to North Melbourne as a Free Agent and both Nick and ourselves are happy with the first round National Draft selection we'll receive as compensation."

Pay him well North :)
a week ago we were all on board and more then happy to help your mob secure a decent compensation pick in return, now I understand why it is 1 flag in 117 seasons.

get your act together saints, just let him go like a bird.
will never happen we are talking St Kilda here

free agent that shit and well throw in the keys on the cheap
F*** that, send keys and third rounder to Brisbane for their second rounder, at least a deal will get done, btw memo to Brisbane "don't think about bidding on Duke"

Pay him enough and on a 4 year deal and we gladly will. :) :thumbsu:
heard it all before, I doubt your club has a clue what they will do. I don't care NDS can have a chance at a flag and St Kilda can look after a favorite son or he can rot at Seaford on $600Kpa and not play finals again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back