AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

What I don't understand is why there is no gameday change up. If, for whatever reason, he is struggling in the middle, we are better off with his talents elsewhere.

Why Merritt sat in the foreword line and Perkins stayed in the middle is beyond me.

I don't mind the big picture experiece etc, but there has to be room for game day changes.

His lack of defensive effort is most concerning.
For the first time in his career there is pressure on spots and I think he is fortunate parish or Hobbs isn’t fit.
However tsatsas may put pressure on him as well as setterfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should of subbed him after he dropped the soda mid of the last. Give him a vfl block before the (hopefully) finals. Find some form come back in the last bit of the reg season. He needs it, we need it

He did do some good things kicking wise, he has the tools so I'm ok if they keep pumping games into him.

I am curious though if his spot went to Setters how we look with Shiel and Setters running through the midfield.

If he didn't drop that sitter of a mark that directly led to a pies goal I don't think people would be so negative. He was playing predominantly high half forward not midfield this week, had half the score involvements of gresham but more tackles and pressure acts. He's still out of form but if they're playing him in high half forward role I'm happy for him to stay in, a big performance will come.

Hopefully we see more and more kicks like the one to caddy for his goal.

I thought he was okay. Great intercept mark late to stop their momentum, a goal assist. If hed kicked that goal and not had the blunder it would have been good for the half forward role. Putting up similar numbers in a similar role to Caldwell last year. Think hes struggling with fatigue a bit. A rest without VFL might do him good, but straight back in.

Last edited:
Everyone wanting to drop him but for who?
Archie for Archie.

Having Caddy and Shiel in freshened things up to a side that was looking prettt stale for the last month or so. I think its good for the side at this time of year to spread the work load and some more youthful exuberance would be nice.

I thought he was okay. Great intercept mark late to stop their momentum, a goal assist. If hed kicked that goal and not had the blunder it would have been good for the half forward role. Putting up similar numbers in a similar role to Caldwell last year. Think hes struggling with fatigue a bit. A rest without VFL might do him good, but straight back in.
This is very generous

For one, Caldwell was always a star mid in the making.. was showing elite clearance skills. Perkins just does not have that in his kit bag.

I said it a few pages back but Perkins is a stronger Zaharakis. His best skill is getting into scoring chains between wing and half forward and converting a few himself. Which makes him an old school half forward flank.

He has nowhere else to go on the ground aside from maybe wing (and I don’t think he’s ever going to be elite there).. can’t play back, can’t play deep forward, isn’t a mid unless tagging / negating.

And as Ant says, that HHF role is now a crucial one in transition defense. If Perkins is to make it IMO his key metric is tackles / pressure acts. He would need to be an endurance brute who gets games (and gets his 20 touches) on the back of fierce competitiveness.. because he’s not involved enough or elite enough to just swan about focusing on offense.

There were some knocks on his AFL lifestyle? (Or was it just that hat he wore on draft night 🤣)

For his sake I hope he is partying too much because it will give him a few more percent of upside

Interesting game. Thought he got back to blocking and holding his ground at center bounce and stoppage a lot better . They had been moving him off his line and out of the contest too easily. However the phase two follow up defending was all over the place .
I had previously thought he could be a good half forward. He probably can and kick 30 to 40 goals but his lack of defense will hurt the other way.
Maybe he is more a wing where the defense is simpler and you hold your side of the ground or even a half back where you can simply follow and defend and then link in.
To me he is a player who does not handle a role that has too much defensive transition. He plays a lot on instinct and not defense. Good in traffic. Decent vision when he has the footy.
Certainly not a natural midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back