AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we see two Archies. The CB attending forward mid who can power out of the front and has lovely execution finding an i50 target. That guy breaks tackles - strong core and hips and looks like a beast.

Then there's the guy who still has that mindset when he attends a regular stoppage and doesn't check his man closely enough. He could spend a bit of time watching Caldwell tapes in this regard. It's exceedingly frustrating because you can see the player he could be but the penny hasn't dropped.

I'd really like to see him take on a strong defensive game and endurance running program during his next preseason.

He’s such a weird mix. Not a natural midfielder but has a great athletic profile and tags well. More a forward but not a massive goal kicker. Good overhead but not amazing. Not a crumbed per se, but ok with the loose ball. Clearly very talented but never really dominant.

In some ways that’s a utility profile but we all hope for much more.

Of recent players he is most like Zaharakis IMO, with a bit more power and X factor, and a bit less run.

So I guess his best role will be unrewarded decoy fat side defensive winger

I feel like I read this exact same paragraph about LDU 2 years ago.

Mids and especially physical mids just take time

I feel like I read this exact same paragraph about LDU 2 years ago.

Mids and especially physical mids just take time
Yeah was thinking same, all the power mid/forward hybrids seem to have inconsistent starts to their career (especially when it comes to shifting into midfield).
We've seen what he's capable of this year, and before the injury I think he strung a number of good games together. Unfortunately since coming back I think hes only performed well vs GWS.
Maybe a stint in the 2s would be good to help him find some touch?

Last edited:
Seems to me that he needs a clear role at stoppage. Clearly not elite at first touch. But when it does go his way, the confidence and strenght in the hip shake and the deliver i50 is elite and clear point of difference in our mix.

Not sure if they are hoping/developing the clearance because of the upside they see IF it does come together.

I've always liked and defended him.

He is going to be THAT player who shows up 1-2 times to tantalize us all, then nothing for 2+ months. Repeat.

If WCE ask for him in any Reid dream trade, I'm walking him there myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back