Player Watch #17 James 'Don't forget the O' JordOn

Remove this Banner Ad

James Jordan.jpg

Player Profile:

At just 22 James Jordon can call himself a premiership player after appearing in the 2021 Grand Final for Melbourne as the medical substitute, the same year he made his debut for the Dees. The midfielder was initially taken as pick 33 in the 2018 draft and joined the Sydney Swans on the opening day of the 2023 AFL Free Agency Period. He played just 18 games in 2023 with the hopes to improve and grow in the red and white.

James Jordn
Born: 20 December 2000
Draft: 2018
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers >> Melbourne

Last edited:
I think we were really fortunate to snag Jordon. I'm not sure why he found himself on the outer at Melbourne, and I'm sure if they had their time again they would have kept him. Particularly with Brayshaw's retirement. And now Petracca being injured and their midfield depth being tested, a player like JJ would have been exactly who they needed.

Seemed like he had a bit of a down year last year given the dees as a whole had regressed after 2022, and given he's a young player, his form / output would be more reliant on the team's performance, and perhaps Melbourne thought he'd stagnated or regressed.

I dont really know how or why he fell out of favour but this was definitely a fortunate signing on our part. He's slotted straight in and has done everything we could have hoped for and then some.

Edit: being an unused sub in a GF may have something to do with it. Really poor choice by Goody. JJ's medal was effectively made worthless by that move.

Last edited:

I think we were really fortunate to snag Jordon. I'm not sure why he found himself on the outer at Melbourne, and I'm sure if they had their time again they would have kept him. Particularly with Brayshaw's retirement. And now Petracca being injured and their midfield depth being tested, a player like JJ would have been exactly who they needed.

Seemed like he had a bit of a down year last year given the dees as a whole had regressed after 2022, and given he's a young player, his form / output would be more reliant on the team's performance, and perhaps Melbourne thought he'd stagnated or regressed.

I dont really know how or why he fell out of favour but this was definitely a fortunate signing on our part. He's slotted straight in and has done everything we could have hoped for and then some.

Edit: being an unused sub in a GF may have something to do with it. Really poor choice by Goody. JJ's medal was effectively made worthless by that move.
I think for the simple fact that he was surplus to requirements for Melbourne. As many holes in their line-up as their might've been, the wing wasn't one such area. Brayshaw & Langdon had been just about the best wing rotation in the comp over the past 2-3 years, and they also had Sparrow in that mix, who had shown more than Jordon. (To be fair, I still think Sparrow could be a gun.)

It's probably easy to say, "Look how they could've done with Jordon now!" after Brayshaw was forced to prematurely retire, Oliver had a diabolical off-season for the ages, and Petracca is now injured. But they were absolutely right to prioritise those guys over Jordon. It's just bad luck it hasn't worked in their favour. No club's immune to it. We traded Aliir because we prioritised getting a ruckman but then had to prioritise a key defender to replace him. (And then had to prioritise a ruckman again when the ruckman we prioritised over Aliir ended up cooked. Le swings & roundabouts.)

I think Jordon's been solid and I for one am just glad to see some luck swing back our way with a few of these trades, which is not to take away from the astute scouting and trading by our staff to make them happen.

I think for the simple fact that he was surplus to requirements for Melbourne. As many holes in their line-up as their might've been, the wing wasn't one such area. Brayshaw & Langdon had been just about the best wing rotation in the comp over the past 2-3 years, and they also had Sparrow in that mix, who had shown more than Jordon. (To be fair, I still think Sparrow could be a gun.)

It's probably easy to say, "Look how they could've done with Jordon now!" after Brayshaw was forced to prematurely retire, Oliver had a diabolical off-season for the ages, and Petracca is now injured. But they were absolutely right to prioritise those guys over Jordon. It's just bad luck it hasn't worked in their favour. No club's immune to it. We traded Aliir because we prioritised getting a ruckman but then had to prioritise a key defender to replace him. (And then had to prioritise a ruckman again when the ruckman we prioritised over Aliir ended up cooked. Le swings & roundabouts.)

I think Jordon's been solid and I for one am just glad to see some luck swing back our way with a few of these trades, which is not to take away from the astute scouting and trading by our staff to make them happen.
Very early call here but Jordon looks like Melbourne's JPK

To be clear, Melbourne didn't choose to let JJ go. They had no choice because he was a delisted free agent from the time when list cuts had to be made at the front end of the pandemic.

Of course, they could have tried harder to keep him but they didn't have the runs on the board in terms of playing him consistently in the 22; plus he was a Swans supporter growing up (well bred). So when we came hard, they were kinda screwed.

In his interview on True Bloods I think it was, Kinnear Beatson was slightly apologetic about nabbing JJ off Melbourne for nothing in return but said those were the rules and you have to take these opportunities when they come. Nice move Swans! (We've certainly been on end of some rough trading manoeuvres ourselves - hello Adelaide & co.)

Both Grundy and JJ are careful not to bag the Dees' culture (✅) but given a few things that have come out about interactions between players and Grundy's comments about life at the Swans it strikes me as possible that the environment wasn't great.
In any case he seems to be living his best life.
Certainly playing good footy!

(We've certainly been on end of some rough trading manoeuvres ourselves - hello Adelaide & co.)
I've often wondered if & when the Crows have come calling during draft night for pick swaps etc if we've requested something so absurd as to be impossible.

If it's to our advantage then we would do it, but if it is zero-sum for us then we will politely hold up a photo of Dawson to them.
Yeah, we're not the type to cut off our nose to spit our face - but I do imagine we're not bending over backwards to assist unless it benefits us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How could Melbourne, arguably still in the frame for a flag, let a player of this quality go?
How do Sydney,with Parker available, still keep JJ in the side?
How do Sydney enable players like JJ to shine when their former clubs are happy to let them go?
Did Melbourne enable JJ to do the to do the types of roles JJ is now performing with aplomb?
Did JJ show the abilities he has at Sydney when he was playing at Melbourne?
Who created this unique role for JJ?

How could Melbourne, arguably still in the frame for a flag, let a player of this quality go?
How do Sydney,with Parker available, still keep JJ in the side?
How do Sydney enable players like JJ to shine when their former clubs are happy to let them go?
Did Melbourne enable JJ to do the to do the types of roles JJ is now performing with aplomb?
Did JJ show the abilities he has at Sydney when he was playing at Melbourne?
Who created this unique role for JJ?
He was an unrestricted free agent.
Parker isn't available.
Good coaching.
Nope.
No idea. Probs not.
Horse from Clamps.
😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back