Player Watch #17 James 'Don't forget the O' JordOn

Remove this Banner Ad

James Jordan.jpg

Player Profile:

At just 22 James Jordon can call himself a premiership player after appearing in the 2021 Grand Final for Melbourne as the medical substitute, the same year he made his debut for the Dees. The midfielder was initially taken as pick 33 in the 2018 draft and joined the Sydney Swans on the opening day of the 2023 AFL Free Agency Period. He played just 18 games in 2023 with the hopes to improve and grow in the red and white.

James Jordn
Born: 20 December 2000
Draft: 2018
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers >> Melbourne

Last edited:

Looked to me he was playing a close checking role on Noah Anderson - was that what others saw? If so, Anderson had no real influence on the game so Jordon did a quality job.

Can't see him losing his place ahead of Campbell or Fox. He's also been better than Lloyd but Lloyd has runs on the board so it's tough to see him being dropped.
Jordon seems to have done pretty much all that has been asked of him to a good standard. If indeed he subdued Anderson for most of the match yet still made an impact then that's an excellent performance whatever the stats say and he won't be out of the team any time soon.

Jordon seems to have done pretty much all that has been asked of him to a good standard. If indeed he subdued Anderson for most of the match yet still made an impact then that's an excellent performance whatever the stats say and he won't be out of the team any time soon.
One could say it’s a bit like Clamps with Benefits ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that I think is of most value for Jordon is his versatility. Not just positional versatility - he can play inside, wing, half forward - but the mix of his athletic traits. Because he’s such a good runner we’ve now got a very disciplined player who can defensively play on the best and most dangerous running midfielders and half backs. He’s taking Clarke’s old role and doing it effectively in terms of defence but being far more damaging offensively because he’s a far more skilled and confident player with the ball. He’s been a great addition and I don’t see him losing his spot for Parker or Mills.

Just hope they don’t make him that clamps player week in week out

Even if he is given more defensively minded duties than others I don't see that being a problem for team balance when we have McInerney, Gulden, Heeney and Warner in the middle.

Either way though Horse has been pretty flexible with players and positions he's chosen to lock down on this year. We've seen Fox go forward to lock down on Lever and Quaynor but then used elsewhere and outside of his lockdown roles on Anderson and Whitfield, Jordon hasn't seemed to have what you'd call traditional tagging roles on anyone else I can recall.

Just hope they don’t make him that clamps player week in week out
Agreed. He's way better than that. But I have noticed when the opportunity takes itself he's quiet attacking so I think he's well aware of what he can offer and does so.

Whilst I am hoping Hayward stays, the way the Jordan has settled into the side has softened the prospect of him leaving. Clearly they don't play the same role but Hayward has previously been asked to play some of the same defensive nullifying roles on attacking or intercepting half backs.
I wonder if looking ahead from the list management that there was some doubt about Hayward staying and Jordan was picked up as a bit of an insurance player who could potentially fill some of his roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17 James 'Don't forget the O' JordOn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back