Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

ALYwsQmF.jpg

Will Gould

Player Profile

A hard-running key defender departed South Australian club Glenelg for the Sydney Swans at the 2019 AFL Draft, joining the club via pick 26. Will Gould averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s per match as South Australia’s captain in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, a glowing campaign resulting in back-to-back All Australian selection. He also averaged 19.7 possessions, 5.2 marks and 6.5 rebound 50s per match for Glenelg in 2019, while he recorded a match-high eight rebound 50s in his side’s SANFL Grand Final victory over Port Adelaide.

Will Gould

DOB: 14 January 2001
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Glenelg (SANFL)

Last edited:
Fair call. I’d forgotten about the sub element (it’s early and I haven’t had my coffee).
With both McCartins out we will be incredibly short with just Rampe. Gould and Francis should both come in and debut. Otherwise, what's the point of depth. The Fox discussion is separate. He isn't a KPD.

With both McCartins out we will be incredibly short with just Rampe. Gould and Francis should both come in and debut. Otherwise, what's the point of depth. The Fox discussion is separate. He isn't a KPD.
Fox to play medium / small where he blitzed it at the end of last season.

Swing Campbell to HF, bursts on wing.

Francis and Gould in for the Macs. Francis has added flexibility of being able to swing forward if we only go with 2 tall forwards.

Fair call. I’d forgotten about the sub element (it’s early and I haven’t had my coffee).
However, others have mentioned that Francis has been trialled up forward also so your call could be right even without a caffiene hit.

I wouldn't mind a surprise forward move to see if we can find something.

I'd prefer Gould over Francis, but as an aside, Fox can absolutely be a KPD. Has before, was our BOG on Cameron in the GF. I think Rampe, Gould, Fox will be fine, and since Buddy is out, I'd bring Francis in as our best VFL KPF so far, but can also go back if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact he hasn't had a run yet isn't as shocking as everyone makes out. Was probably never going to get a look in the first year or 2 on the list as a developing KPD. Then the past 2 years we've had a pretty good run with our lack of injuries in defence. The opportunity just never really presented itself for him at the right time.

Would be a little stiff not to get a call up this week though you'd think.

I think Gould is ready. He had a really strong year last year where he would've played senior footy if injuries happened. I didn't love his most recent VFL game, and it doesn't sound like he's exactly starring, but that's basically the norm when playing in defence in the reserves. It's a bit of a graveyard spot and hard to prove how you'd fit into a cohesive back six filled with talent.

Aliir & Melican didn't look much better when they got their call-ups (though Melican did have that dominant NEAFL grand final to end the year before.) They both found their feet at the highest level fairly seamlessly.

So I agree with others that if he doesn't get his chance now, then I think the writing would be on the wall.

Shouldn't we have had the obligatory mid-week phone call to parents social media content by now?
If we don’t have something by midday tomorrow I’ll start to get worried.

Chances are we have quite a few headaches when it comes to this weeks team and strategy so I would assume that it’s not high on the agenda for both Will and the team. The amount of team meetings going into this week would be gross.

Someone camp out at the airport and see if he gets on the plane!

If we don’t have something by midday tomorrow I’ll start to get worried.

Chances are we have quite a few headaches when it comes to this weeks team and strategy so I would assume that it’s not high on the agenda for both Will and the team. The amount of team meetings going into this week would be gross.

Someone camp out at the airport and see if he gets on the plane!
Qantas will know our team long before we do.

I can't remember the last time the swans did one of those cheesy phonecalls.
Roberts had one.

Every debutant since 2020 has had one, except for Sheldrick.

Sheldrick also didn't get an interview ahead of his debut. Nor an interview after his debut. It's like it never happened according to the club.

Roberts had one.

Every debutant since 2020 has had one, except for Sheldrick.

Sheldrick also didn't get an interview ahead of his debut. Nor an interview after his debut. It's like it never happened according to the club.
Fair enough.
I don't pay much attention to that sort of stuff.

Fair enough.
I don't pay much attention to that sort of stuff.
I didn't either until I was excited for Sheldrick's debut, and waiting for some content celebrating it, and waiting, and waiting, and nothing came.

Then I compulsively went back to look at each debutant in recent times to see if that was unusual. And it was.

Situations like this are why I get so shitty with our inconsistent media department. You only get one debut. We'll never get to know how Sheldrick felt about it now, all because our media team couldn't get their shit together enough to make one 90 second video that week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

Back