AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes - Re-signs until 2026 - 24/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Tall 19 year old understands that it takes time to break into seniors. Glad to see he isn't as dumb as others in here.

Tall 19 year old understands that it takes time to break into seniors. Glad to see he isn't as dumb as others in here.

Imagine fans wanting to see an in form young player get a chance at the big time! And in a ‘development’ year too. Very dumb indeed.

He wouldn’t exactly be the first KPD to play AFL within 2 years of being drafted.

Andrews, Moore, Wilkie, Barrass, Taylor, Lever, Collins, Weitering, May, Pearce.

Imagine fans wanting to see an in form young player get a chance at the big time! And in a ‘development’ year too. Very dumb indeed.

He wouldn’t exactly be the first KPD to play AFL within 2 years of being drafted.

Andrews, Moore, Wilkie, Barrass, Taylor, Lever, Collins, Weitering, May, Pearce.
Imagine saying he should leave the club cos he's never going to get a game due to the fact he's not before he turned 20. Jeremy McGovern is probably the second best KPD of the past 15 years and didn't debut until his 4th year. Aliir Aliir until year 3. Alex Rance had a handful in year 2. I love how you include Collins and Wilkie when they were picked up older than Hayes is currently.

You were saying something stupid and got called on it. Just own that.

Last edited:
Imagine saying he should leave the club cos he's never going to get a game due to the fact he's not before he turned 20. Jeremy McGovern is probably the second best KPD of the past 15 years and didn't debut until his 4th year. Aliir Aliir until year 3. Alex Rance had a handful in year 2. I love how you include Collins and Wilkie when they were picked up older than Hayes is currently.

Who said he should leave the club?

Oh of course, McGovern! Was there any reason for him not getting a game? Or does it suit your argument to leave that part out?

You’re wrong. Own it. Most quality KPD’s play within their first 2 years of being on a list. I named a lot of them. Fans wanting to see him play aren’t ‘dumb’.

You’ve literally had to go back to Rance to try and prove your point - who retired 5 years ago. And even then, he debuted in round 2 of his 2nd season.

Anyway, I’m thrilled he’s staying. Good luck to him

Who said he should leave the club?

Oh of course, McGovern! Was there any reason for him not getting a game? Or does it suit your argument to leave that part out?

You’re wrong. Own it. Most quality KPD’s play within their first 2 years of being on a list. I named a lot of them. Fans wanting to see him play aren’t ‘dumb’.

You’ve literally had to go back to Rance to try and prove your point - who retired 5 years ago. And even then, he debuted in round 2 of his 2nd season.

Anyway, I’m thrilled he’s staying. Good luck to him
Someone did. Might not have been you but it was still stupid.

Your whole argument is dumb. I can see that plenty of top level key defenders debuted before they turned 20. Yet you leave the second best one of the past 15 years off the list. Why? Because it proves you wrong. You added two players that were originally drafted at an age older than Hayes is currently.

I never said wanting him to debut is dumb. I said panicking that he will leave or should leave because he hasn't debuted as a teenager is dumb.

Your examples boil down to Harris Andrews (who was an academy player that they oversaw the development of), Darcy Moore (who played forward for his first 2/3 years), Tom Barrass (when all their KPD's were injured and he got pasted by T Lynch and Jenkins and West Coast admitted it was a mistake), Sam Taylor (literally your first hit), Jake Lever (not a key defender, just plays loose), Jacob Weitering (#1 pick in a side devoid of KPP talent. Very compelling argument), Steven May (zone selection that played TAC Cup and VFL for them the two years prior) and Alex Pearce (your second real hit).

Most had exceptional circumstances under which they played early. You ignored the second best defender of the past 15 years. You included two mature age pick ups. I mean, come on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now make a list of the KPDs who haven't played in their first two years.
These current key defenders didn't debut as teenagers, some of them weren't even on lists until they were over 21:

Callum Wilkie, Sam Collins, Harry Taylor, Jeremy McGovern, Aliir Aliir, Leek Aleer, Jack Payne, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Dane Rampe, Nathan Broad.

But all good KPD's debut when they're teenagers.

There are about a million different ways you could have made your point. Why choose the most confrontational, aggressive option?

Do we really need to be calling each other dumb?

There are about a million different ways you could have made your point. Why choose the most confrontational, aggressive option?

And there are plenty of other options approved on this board.
Passive aggressive is always nice.
Sniping insinuations often gets likes.
Gaslighting with musical references is underplayed.
I could and probably should go on

I call a spade a spade. Better that than passive aggression or anything else hurlygurdy listed.

Good re-signing.

Deserved a game or two this year but may get one befoe the year is out still. For a non finals playing side, playing a out of form or hobbled at times laverde is not a smart decision.

However, still time in the year left to get some games in. Or if not and he or Reid replace laverde next year hopefully it doesn't matter.

Some of these non selections just mean we could of used a development year a little better but oh well it's not drastic if kpd doesn't play in first 2 years.

Also laverde been much better last few weeks.

I believe aggressively stupid posts should be called out in the hope it becomes an educational experience and encourages better posting moving forward

I don't think Hayes has missed a game playing VFL in 2 years?

Comparing him with Zach Reid who is perennially injured, I'd get more AFL game time into Hayes over Reid.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Reid ends up a ruck. Give him that buildup to become indestructible at 24-26

Would be pretty hard to score against with McKay, Hayes and Ridley with Reid dropping back as ruck.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Reid ends up a ruck. Give him that buildup to become indestructible at 24-26

Would be pretty hard to score against with McKay, Hayes and Ridley with Reid dropping back as ruck.
agree with the notion but his body can't hold up in normal conditions, it'll be ruined by the ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes - Re-signs until 2026 - 24/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back