Preview Round 18 - Essendoomguys VS Melbourne Demons, MCG, Saturday 13/7/24, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Heppell is happy to mostly play VFL and be injury cover I’d love for him to be back.

If he’s wanting more then that then someone has to tell him he’s not that player anymore and it’s time to hang it up

Some players can keep going longer than anticipated. That might not count if we are in full rebuild mode but realistically we’re now looking at winning finals this year. Heppell is showing us that he is that guy, so it’s time to adjust I guess

I think it was a likely option along with a Hind or Cox being omitted

The only issue i have is i wouldve liked Kelly to play on Kozzie. This now means Kelly gets Fritsch and Mcgrath goes to Kozzie. Not diabolical by any means

If things go poorly but we have no injuries and we lose then i expect a Heppell will be the sub or Kelly omitted with Lav back in the following week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both lav and dys have exceeded expectations this year and both looked like they needed a spell in the cats game.
Think its a good way to keep them fresh but I do think when it comes to pointy end of season we need to make tough call of which one out of those 2 and kelly is dropped as can't have all three in the 23 as its one defender too many.

Really happy shiel and Caddy stay in and we go with one ruck.

Both lav and dys have exceeded expectations this year and both looked like they needed a spell in the cats game.
Think its a good way to keep them fresh but I do think when it comes to pointy end of season we need to make tough call of which one out of those 2 and kelly is dropped as can't have all three in the 23 as its one defender too many.

Really happy shiel and Caddy stay in and we go with one ruck.
Not sure why people thought after last week a Caddy or Shiel would be dropped

Heppell has also played good footy on the wing this year

Heppell was really ordinary against West Coast, I recall mentioning it to a couple of people.
It got overlooked because we won, and then obviously the build up to his 250th.

I thought we looked better without him in the side last week.

Having said that - we don't win or lose this game based on whether we have Heppell or Laverde out there.

I'm a little nervous as Melbourne's forward line these last 2 weeks looks the best I've seen it in a long time. At the very least, it's more versatile/mobile.
I also probably would have done what they did too in regards to the ruck. No point bringing in a ruck that you think will get beaten anyway. Go smaller, read the taps of the opposition ruckman, and you can be no worse off.

But I give us a good chance. Play the style we played last week, we'll be okay. We match up well against Melbourne.

Yeah didn't think they would be but had a nagging worry in my head that heppell and goldy come straight back in for them :D

Id hope Hind is sub again, can pinch hit in multiple positions and has natural pace. Probably hates it but i think he's the best candidate for the job week to week. Heppell and Cox the other options if they want to rotate.

Well it definitely wasn’t omitted because I thought he was great last week. I guess we aren’t used to having enough available to “manage” anyone.
It's a brilliant team change. Head scratcher at first then you look at the Melb forward line and its all short people
We've been so bad for so long that managing players at this time of the year confuses us.

We're usually playing "elimination finals" or "8-point games" by now to scrape in the top 8 with a lengthy injury list. Nice to have the luxury of managing players.

Yeah, there was zero chance of Caddy or Shiel not getting a full game. Shiel really gave the midfield a boost that has been crying out for.

Heppell been in the best form of the last 4 years or so. Lav has been good too. Still has heart in mouth moments 1 on 1 near goal, but on the whole has been important.

Hayes isn't quite ready for a team like Dees. Maybe a chance against Crows but only if he performs in VFL.

Just glad they didn't rush Goldy back. Draper played one of his best games for the club last week and Cox did ok as a backup.

Hind probably needs a full game after only 5 minutes last week. Maybe Perk sub?

What's going on with Melbourne's selection? Petty for Gawn? Is Van Rooyen supposed to ruck? Isn't he their most dangerous forward? Or is Petty rucking?

Bit surprised by that. Maybe there's something I'm missing but I really can't understand the logic behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back