Preview Round 18 - Essendoomguys VS Melbourne Demons, MCG, Saturday 13/7/24, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's going on with Melbourne's selection? Petty for Gawn? Is Van Rooyen supposed to ruck? Isn't he their most dangerous forward?

Bit surprised by that. Maybe there's something I'm missing but I really can't understand the logic behind it.

I kind of agree with it.

No point playing a raw or poor ruckman who is just going to get beaten anyway.

Better off to do basically what Geelong did, and almost concede the ruck - prepares you to rove to the opposition ruck as well as give you maybe an extra midfielder at every stoppage.

I would have preferred that they play an under developed ruck instead of Petty.

I kind of agree with it.

No point playing a raw or poor ruckman who is just going to get beaten anyway.

Better off to do basically what Geelong did, and almost concede the ruck - prepares you to rove to the opposition ruck as well as give you maybe an extra midfielder at every stoppage.

I would have preferred that they play an under developed ruck instead of Petty.
Except it's either Petty, McDonald or Van Rooyen taking the ruck duties which takes away from other parts of the ground.
What's the point of conceding the ruck with an injury-prone player like Petty when Fullarton is on the list?

It's a weird selection.

Except it's either Petty, McDonald or Van Rooyen taking the ruck duties which takes away from other parts of the ground.
What's the point of conceding the ruck with an injury-prone player like Petty when Fullarton is on the list?

It's a weird selection.

Fullarton is emergency so I’m guessing the Demons are just hedging their bets and he may well be a late inclusion

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I'm Melbourne I'm loading up on Turner as the first ruck. Play him 80% minimum. You're conceding the ruck anyway.

JVR and Petty are more dangerous. Force Ridley to basically play on Petty.

Feel for Dee’s supporters with the non selection of a recognised ruckman.

Didn’t think after all those years that Knighta would revolutionised the game, Goodwin must’ve watched a replay of the success Nat Rat had as first ruck (supported by Cale) against Adelaide in the 2009 Elimination final - conceding 64 hit outs to 18 and losing by 96 points.

Here we are 15 years later. Cheers to you Mr Knights.

Sometimes I read the comments in here and feel like I have been watching a different team.
giphy.gif

Having doubts about the Hepp selection this morning. Melbourne can move the ball quickly when they're on, and while Heppell finds good position, he has as much chase as a washing machine. Hopefully doesn't leave us exposed.

If Draper decides to eat his oppo ruck they might not see as much of the ball anyway. Hoping to see Cox in the ruck again this week.

Yeah, there was zero chance of Caddy or Shiel not getting a full game. Shiel really gave the midfield a boost that has been crying out for.

Heppell been in the best form of the last 4 years or so. Lav has been good too. Still has heart in mouth moments 1 on 1 near goal, but on the whole has been important.

Hayes isn't quite ready for a team like Dees. Maybe a chance against Crows but only if he performs in VFL.

Just glad they didn't rush Goldy back. Draper played one of his best games for the club last week and Cox did ok as a backup.

Hind probably needs a full game after only 5 minutes last week. Maybe Perk sub?
Hind sub for me

Crows going about aswell as dees at the moment, wouldnt take them lightly

Lav will be required for their 3 headed forwards

Nothing against Hepp, but I do imagine a future where he isn’t the first player picked each week (2026 maybe?). Also, the guys could’ve really pulled their finger out to honour his 250th against Geelong but the team put in an absolute Barry Crocker - and instead put in their best effort of the season the following week ….without him in the side…. 🤔

Having doubts about the Hepp selection this morning. Melbourne can move the ball quickly when they're on, and while Heppell finds good position, he has as much chase as a washing machine. Hopefully doesn't leave us exposed.

If Draper decides to eat his oppo ruck they might not see as much of the ball anyway. Hoping to see Cox in the ruck again this week.

Heppell looked best when the team defence was doing its job further up the ground allowing him to better read the play rather than be led by his player.

To be fair all defenders look better when the team defence is on song. Heppell's issue, as you say, is he's exposed massively for pace when it's not.

Nothing against Hepp, but I do imagine a future where he isn’t the first player picked each week (2026 maybe?). Also, the guys could’ve really pulled their finger out to honour his 250th against Geelong but the team put in an absolute Barry Crocker - and instead put in their best effort of the season the following week ….without him in the side…. 🤔
surely you're not suggesting it's some conspiracy cause his teammates don't like him.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what happens next week when Laverde is fresh ? Is Heppell going to be omitted like he should be ? or are we going to drop Nate Caddy again.

So what happens next week when Laverde is fresh ? Is Heppell going to be omitted like he should be ? or are we going to drop Nate Caddy again.
How about we just get through the Melbourne game. The rest will take care of itself.
Enjoy your second post!

Heppell looked best when the team defence was doing its job further up the ground allowing him to better read the play rather than be led by his player.

To be fair all defenders look better when the team defence is on song. Heppell's issue, as you say, is he's exposed massively for pace when it's not.
Agree, and was thinking this this morning too. I wondered if Brad might have played a bit of devil's advocate with this too, to extract commitment from those guys. So glad Shiel is playing.

Let's not forget we had the upper hand in that match against Geelong until the umpires intervened.

Happy with the selections.
Hind sub. Caddy and Shiel keep their spots.
Cox showed he can chop out in the ruck and Gawn isnt playing.

Salem in the mid is an interesting one for them. I havent watched much of them play this year though.
Durham vs Viney is a great head to head match up!

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Laverde, Parish, Phillips, Snelling, Setterfield, Zerk-Thatcher, Menzie
ESSENDON INS: Wright, Guelfi, Caddy, Duursma, McKay, Gresham, Cox

MELBOURNE OUTS: Grundy, Petracca, Hunter, Tomlinson, Brayshaw, Jordon, Spargo
MELBOURNE INS: Lever, Salem, Windsor, Tholstrup, Woewodin, Turner, Moniz-Wakefield

Jeez that is a ton of class missing from the Dees

Happy with the selections.
Hind sub. Caddy and Shiel keep their spots.
Cox showed he can chop out in the ruck and Gawn isnt playing.

Salem in the mid is an interesting one for them. I havent watched much of them play this year though.
Durham vs Viney is a great head to head match up!
Pickett attended some CBs as well I think, maybe to escape his forwardline match-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back