AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes - Re-signs until 2026 - 24/7

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think he signed up for Weideman playing key defense over him in a fixture that he could gain something meaningful from.
I think you overestimate how much the average player cares about the difference between playing and not playing. He's got a contract so he's happy with whatever.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think he signed up for Weideman playing key defense over him in a fixture that he could gain something meaningful from.
If he was genuinely hard done by I'm sure other clubs would have come asking questions and offering greater opportunity

Must be shaking his head and wondering what he has to do
Personally dont get the incessant love. Hes consistent but consistently 6/10. He certainly hasnt put in a pick me performance.

Personally dont get the incessant love. Hes consistent but consistently 6/10. He certainly hasnt put in a pick me performance.

Is this not the worst case scenario?

Weideman takes a game off him he could easily play now and if by some miracle he goes ok we probably give him another deal and then he potentially gets in the way next year.

He deserves a taste and a chance this year and this is the perfect time to do it against an out of form McDonald or McLean. Should have pulled the trigger this week and not gone for the coward option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weideman takes a game off him he could easily play now and if by some miracle he goes ok we probably give him another deal and then he potentially gets in the way next year.

He deserves a taste and a chance this year and this is the perfect time to do it against an out of form McDonald or McLean. Should have pulled the trigger this week and not gone for the coward option.
He'll get a chance next year, Weideman deserves a farewell game

If Weideman gets a one year extension it's not the end of the world. He has honestly been excellent down back at VFL level. We have two draft picks and I could easily take 5 off the list without blinking. This isn't a case of Archie Roberts who was playing AFL standard football. Hayes is not at the level. Rushing Cox and Reid has done them absolutely no favors.

If Weideman gets a one year extension it's not the end of the world. He has honestly been excellent down back at VFL level. We have two draft picks and I could easily take 5 off the list without blinking. This isn't a case of Archie Roberts who was playing AFL standard football. Hayes is not at the level. Rushing Cox and Reid has done them absolutely no favors.
I don't mind giving him a shot again. For some reason he reminds me a bit of hooker. He's been good in the vfl. I watch that coz I enjoy it more than the firsts

I suspect he knows exactly where he stands and was happy to have another 2 years.

So I’m going to come back to this quite strongly, he could have been a positive on a grim night, we chose for him not to be, decision was in our hands.

I walked away thinking Bryan is our ruckman of the future and Roberts is class.

I would have walked away happier if I walked away thinking Bryan is our ruckman of the future, Roberts is class and Lewis Hayes showed a couple of really nice flashes and had a couple of good moments.

I can see a world where this bloke plays 10+ games in 2025

Depends where he's at physically, there's no reason he or Reid aren't playing most weeks if they're physically fit and AFL ready. Reid was clearly the choice ahead of Laverde at the start of the season. Plus Heppell is now gone and was passing through the backline at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes - Re-signs until 2026 - 24/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back