Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was ok today, yeah missed a few goals, would rather that than not having any shots.
But players were lining up to take a mark around him for his last shot at goal. It ended up in the wrong hands.
As soon as he took the mark I was like "oh s*** it's Wright, he'll miss fosho" the only person I would prefer him to take the kick over is Petrie. Point is both players are not clutch in the slightest.

Not a bad game, unfortunately unreliable shot for goal especially when the game is in the balance, didn't he also miss a sitter right in front against the Eagles at Subi which would have just about sealed it?

Was good.

Missed a key shot but is a good player and will be part of our side for a long time.

His goal kicking has gone missing. That's the only issue. Apart from that he's been very good the last two weeks. Some very odd replies in here.

I like him down back anyway. Needs to get his fitness back up and have a decent run with injury.

Wright is a liability at the moment. Really costing us.

Not saying he can't play, not saying he should be delisted - clearly has skills. But to play a plodding and slightly soft outsider, then finishing must be his speciality. He isn't, and needs to.

IMO he is very lucky to still be playing in the 1s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nullified Birchall and is finding his way back to form. Expect him to be a regular contributor next year.

Sam Wright is about as soft as Chuck Norris

Nullified Birchall and is finding his way back to form. Expect him to be a regular contributor next year.
And he may even be able to undertake a proper upper body weights regime this summer too.

He did a really good job on Birchall, but the misses hurt when we had momentum. He wasn't the only culprit though. I mentioned a while ago I would have him working on his kicking at goal, not sure if he is getting enough practice in given he is probably in the defensive group. He used to be a beautiful kick on goal when he first came to the club, has been shithouse since playing as a defender.

Sam Wright is about as soft as Chuck Norris

I disagree.

He picks and chooses his battles. He would be first to back up a Nth player in strife, but he regularly waits out and doesn't go for the hard ball, or doesn't back into packs when he needs to.

Agree to disagree.

terrible player getting sick and tired of him

Yeah, nah.

He was solid today. He is lacking in fitness this season, and he has plenty to work on over the next 4-5 months.

Hopefully for him, he gets an uninterrupted pre-season and he can forge to full fitness, because he still has a role to play, at-least in the short term.

Guys like Wright are why we aren't a top team at the moment. He could have had 4 goals today - so many crucial misses and passes to team mates in a worse position in the forward 50. I had high hopes for this guy, but am starting to wonder if he maybe just isn't quite up to the standard ...

Is there any truth to the rumour he is looking elsewhere? I thought someone posted he was a bit miffed at being dropped back to the VFL? I'm not against a trade if he wants out, don't think it will be a massive loss if he did go. If guys like Garner and McDonald come on, he may be surplus to requirements anyway?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back