Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like Sammy Wright. He's a great bloke at the club, has the skills and flies the flag.

Today - in isolation - I hated Sammy Wright! **** **** **** **** !!!!

Let's not get silly. I don't want to trade him and he's part of our plans. But today he broke our hearts. Sammy plz!

I really like Sammy Wright. He's a great bloke at the bloke, has the skills and flies the flag.

Today - in isolation - I hated Sammy Wright! **** **** **** **** !!!!

Let's not get silly. I don't want to trade him and he's part of our plans. But today he broke our hearts. Sammy plz!

We smashed his confidence to pieces earlier in the year.

We need to make a decision on a position, let him have the preseason there and play him there for the entire year.

We smashed his confidence to pieces earlier in the year.

We need to make a decision on a position, let him have the preseason there and play him there for the entire year.

Nah come on OF he's a professional footballer. He had some shots and fluffed em today. Can't put that down to being a utility.

Nah come on OF he's a professional footballer. He had some shots and fluffed em today. Can't put that down to being a utility.

Yeah he did, the missed shots are confidence, its related that why I brought it up.

We are on a path to screwing Sammy around as much as we screwed Lachie around.

What is his position? Defensive forward? run with? offensive half back?

settle on one, have him train there and play him there and stop f***ing him around.

When he is on a bloke like Hurn who is cutting him to shreds, move him and make a positional change. He was completely hung out to dry in the match. We should have moved Spud on to Hurn and subbed Sam out if required.

Really confusing sort of stuff on here sometimes.
We get angry when our team isn't defensive and gives up big leads because we play off our man, and let teams run the football from our defense without pressure - and yet here we are lambasting Wright, for doing an absolutely stellar job on probably the best in the business at doing just that!

He can't kick clutch goals, and that is get frustrating. But the negating role that he did on Birchall today was great, and he's extremely adept at it. Go watch as he stands Heath Shaw next week, and blankets him as well. I needed a replacement for Scotty Thompson in my supercoach and deliberately went against Birchall because I knew Wright would line up on him and do a job.

Shizen kicking loses matches. He is a better forward than back, he is a good defensive half forward. He must do whatever needs doing to get better near goal. Back to the 2's worked for LT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I thought in the last quarter when Sammy had it was, what if this was a final. . 3 gettable shots missed is bad football. He needs a real spark for 2014.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Is there any truth to the rumour he is looking elsewhere? I thought someone posted he was a bit miffed at being dropped back to the VFL? I'm not against a trade if he wants out, don't think it will be a massive loss if he did go. If guys like Garner and McDonald come on, he may be surplus to requirements anyway?

He was actually relieved when he got dropped he knew his form was out of wack. So no truth in that.

Sammy needs to look the way David Zaharakis wins games of his own boot and how Shannon Grant used to do it for us.

Mate last night scores were level when he kicked that goal with 27 seconds left.

A Sammy Wright slice for a behind would have one that game also and he would have been the hero.

He was actually relieved when he got dropped he knew his form was out of wack. So no truth in that.

Not surprising.

We played him till he was devoid of confidence.

I expect a Lindsay type turn around from Sammy.

West Coast, Adelaide, Hawthorn x 2.

Other than blowing guilt edge chances to win crucial games, his overall play is getting back to the form he displayed against Collingwood and Essendon last season.

I rate him significantly above MacMillan and Gibson.

Wright is a liability at the moment. Really costing us.

Not saying he can't play, not saying he should be delisted - clearly has skills. But to play a plodding and slightly soft outsider, then finishing must be his speciality. He isn't, and needs to.

IMO he is very lucky to still be playing in the 1s.
sam wright is a good player who can kick both feet-not 2 many can now days needs to put on weight
if he does look out because he is not cscared of anyone.

Though he was ok against the Hawks. Like most of our players, needs a lot more composure. He really should have nailed those crucial chances in the last.

Disappointing that he didn't kick the goals but then he has had a bad year in front of the goals.

Previous years I would have trusted Wright to kick a goal above any other player.

Fact is he is tall for a midfielder, goes in hard and when on-form can be a match winner. People need to settle. He will play another hundred games for North and only get better. I saw mentioned in an article a month ago that he had another disrupted pre-season. Will learn a lot from this year and will make his emergence all the more sweet.

Think of all the tall mids that we currently have coming through Gysberts (190), Macmillan (188), Ziebell (188), Wright (188), Atley (189) and Harper (187) and then blokes who play taller like Cunnington (185), McKenzie (186) and I expect Garner (186) will be similar - as they get stronger its really going to improve our kick and mark game and our contested game. That's finals footy. Not the pretty witches hat stuff that sees teams rack-up easy wins during the season.

People say that Scott played Wright until he was devoid of composure but he really didn't regain that composure in the reserves he was simply a lucky late call-up for the Geelong Game. He obviously went in with real intent and turned it around himself.

Scott has real belief in the future of the club and the sort of footy that will see us win our next flag. The engine room is building, the polish is the next step.

When you have space, time to steady and then steady some more, you have to kick the goal. If he had kicked the goal we would have almost broken the spirit of Hawthorn and made them panic. Then the set shot his missed :/ He played well on Birchall and kicked and an early goal which was a positive

Might be down on confidence, I thought he showed some good signs, but yeah crucial misses.

sam wright is a good player who can kick both feet-not 2 many can now days needs to put on weight
if he does look out because he is not cscared of anyone.

Yep, certainly can play off both feet. Needs to use his kicking far more than he is currently as will never be a high stat player.

He does need to put on weight so he can approach the contest without fear of getting hurt. He does sometimes and pays the penalty, some bulk will help that (however his shoulders are an issue, hence weights are compromised)

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back