Game Day 1st Semi-final: Geelong vs Collingwood, Sat 10 Oct GABBA @ 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here it is.
Once again using the double chance.

Pies will be hungry and formidible.

What will we bring? Hardness, first to the ball and good skill execution? Or like last week which was not so much the aforementioned

One thing that is for sure - GAJ could be donning the Hoops and the boots for the last time.

Win - and he keeps going. Lose and its tears like that PF loss to the Pies in 2010 all over again - and no one wants to see that.

Lets give GAJ at least one more crack at it. He's given us so much over the years. Let it roll on a little longer.

Not to mention HT as well - a true servant of the club who may, and likley will be, in the same boat.

This is a winnable game. Pies will be good but if we bring our best and deliver it for 4 quarters will can win and make another PF.

Lets clear this hurdle now.

Go Catters

Last edited:
We have played Collingwood 24 times in Finals, twice as often as any other club.

They truly are the one and only Old Enemy.

We have dominated our contests, with 12 wins, whereas Collingwood has only scraped together a mere dozen or so.

It would be nice to see this dominance continue.

Smacking this mob is what the League was set up for.

Happy enough with Simpson for Atkins but not what I'd call a match winning selection,I'm still worried about our forward line hopefully Hawkins gets on the board early and with no Sav or (Jenkins my choice as support) we will need big games from Stanley when he rests forward and Rohan must hold marks and hit the score board as well if we are to kick a winning score,11 goals 6 behinds could win this,6 goals 11 behinds won't.
This is going to be a long 10 hours.

1st step is to not allow the Pies a fast start cant be 4+ goals down after 1st Q
2nd step stop their diagonal over lapping run from defence to attack they are the best in the business at it
3rd Our forwards need to fire too many times they have gone missing in big finals
4th step is to take the game on when we have the ascendancy
5th step We win

Happy enough with Simpson for Atkins but not what I'd call a match winning selection,I'm still worried about our forward line hopefully Hawkins gets on the board early and with no Sav or (Jenkins my choice as support) we will need big games from Stanley when he rests forward and Rohan must hold marks and hit the score board as well if we are to kick a winning score,11 goals 6 behinds could win this,6 goals 11 behinds won't.
This is going to be a long 10 hours.

I think to a certain extent you are highlighting that what matters here is less the structure and more that the players selected perform. We know the players selected can do the important things you suggest, so perhaps we don't need to smash the coach at the selection table and ask more of those individuals.

Weather wise we have a perfect night for footy coming up,Winning the toss could be worth a goal or 2 but that easterly breeze will fade out early to next to nothing.
That's it. Get this person a job stat!!!! Weather people can't even determine rainfall 1 or 2 hours out and you are calling wind strength 10 hours away. I like the confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1st step is to not allow the Pies a fast start cant be 4+ goals down after 1st Q
2nd step stop their diagonal over lapping run from defence to attack they are the best in the business at it
3rd Our forwards need to fire too many times they have gone missing in big finals
4th step is to take the game on when we have the ascendancy
5th step We win

First step is we kick straight. Everything else is secondary because if we don't do that I doubt we are good enough to dominate the game so much we can waste heaps of chances and still win. Pendlebury was asked pre-finals what he has learnt is the most important thing. He simply said taking your chances in front of goal is by far the most important thing you need to do to ensure you win finals.

Colliwobs did well last week against an uncharacteristically flat West coast who got gazumped a bit in the first quarter. They only won by a point.
I don’t think they can take much out of their previous win against us. The match played in atrocious conditions, dubious umpiring and one guy played a blinder out of his backside.
However, we aren’t setting the world on fire either so it’s anybody’s guess who wins this.
What‘s weird for me is that I dont really feel the usual pre final apprehension.
Still want the Cats to win of course, but there is a bit of reduced care factor that I have never experienced before a big finals game.
Hopefully that is remedied by 3/4 time..:cool:

Colliwobs did well last week against an uncharacteristically flat West coast who got gazumped a bit in the first quarter. They only won by a point.
I don’t think they can take much out of their previous win against us. The match played in atrocious conditions, dubious umpiring and one guy played a blinder out of his backside.
However, we aren’t setting the world on fire either so it’s anybody’s guess who wins this.
What‘s weird for me is that I dont really feel the usual pre final apprehension.
Still want the Cats to win of course, but there is a bit of reduced care factor that I have never experienced before a big finals game.

THis is also true for me. It's like you can't touch it or feel it because we haven't been able to attend all year. Therefore it seems less daunting or real. Although I was there last week and realised not being there wasn't so bad after all. However it definitely doesn't feel the same as a normal year for me where I would already be sick with nerves. I am sure the nausea will kick in 5 mins out though. Oh the joy of caring way way way too much about a sporting team!

I think to a certain extent you are highlighting that what matters here is less the structure and more that the players selected perform. We know the players selected can do the important things you suggest, so perhaps we don't need to smash the coach at the selection table and ask more of those individuals.
Yeah it's up to the players now.
That's it. Get this person a job stat!!!! Weather people can't even determine rainfall 1 or 2 hours out and you are calling wind strength 10 hours away. I like the confidence
45 years of fishing these waters you pick up on weather patterns,doesn't mean I've never got it wrong but pretty confident about tonight.

Expect Razor Ray to double down tonight,and I don't view Stevic as a cat person either, I don't know anything about Fleer.

The team deserves a finals win to reflect great form it showed this year, mostly on the road, away from the KP fortress - show us that footy that was played in the purple patch. Goes without saying that Gaz and Harry deserve a win.

If we keep the ball out of Moore’s hand’s we’re halfway there IMO - We will be sunk by high bombed delivery and smashed the other way. Forwards have to spread and delivery needs to be quick and direct. If crowded forward line then forwards need to lead up to 50 plus or try crazy ball.

Going to need goal kickers other than relying on Hawk and Danger. Rohan must take his angry pills.

Please - the A grade game, including off the charts running and pressure.

Winning tonight means also that we deprive Collingwood of being the team that has twice ended the Geelong career of GAJ. Their supporters are chuffed about that. Much as I respect Collingwood and its history etc, this game I really hope we can win.

As I say almost every time we play this mob, I just hope we are switched on from the opening bounce. I'll lose my s**t if we're 3-4 goals down at quarter time tonight like we have been so many times against this mob since 2011.

THis is also true for me. It's like you can't touch it or feel it because we haven't been able to attend all year. Therefore it seems less daunting or real. Although I was there last week and realised not being there wasn't so bad after all. However it definitely doesn't feel the same as a normal year for me where I would already be sick with nerves. I am sure the nausea will kick in 5 mins out though. Oh the joy of caring way way way too much about a sporting team!

im the opposite
Seem way more invested this year as I haven’t been working and feel like I’ve consumed every single milligram of footy this season!
Already antsy 9 hours before the game

going to be a long day.. considering the wife and in-laws are all Pies supporters Winning is the Only option for me!

As I say almost every time we play this mob, I just hope we are switched on from the opening bounce. I'll lose my s**t if we're 3-4 goals down at quarter time tonight like we have been so many times against this mob since 2011.
Being close at quarter time is the key. Collingwood are fast starters and then seem to slow up. Can’t let them get ahead early cause we won’t catch them.

Tell Rohan if he doesn’t play angry and kick a few, they will leak the story to the media, and it will be front page of the addy on monday.

Kind of like a superpower eh ?
Sadly for me I suspect it is more than just the weird season.
Could be the FFF factor (finals failure fatigue), could be the never ending Scott era and corporate BS, difficulty connecting with a team that is continually cobbled together rather than grown organically. The crowded chaotic game styles that take the aesthetics from the game .I dunno.

Yes be in the game at qtr time. We managed it last week, but it’s still a final and we just can’t get blown away in the first qtr and a half.
both forward lines have low possession players, so I wouldn’t mind a bit of chaos going inside F50 to have the ground players involved.
Mitch Cleary good piece on the AFL website about our finals record under Scott. Players don’t perform, we kick down the line more often and not standing up when the heat is applied.
Can’t have that and we can’t have straight sets or a prelim loss. It’s go time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back