Player Watch 2. Dylan Grimes

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been one of Grimes’ biggest fans over the years and he played such a vital role in our era of success and am very grateful we got his body right when it was looking shaky early days.

But

Today may have been the day where he really lowered his colours and stood out like a sore that he really needs to reconsider his future.
Some of the errors he made today are literally rookie errors and it cost us significantly.

Sorry to say it Dylan but I think it’s time to hang them up 😥

Last edited:

I’ve been a huge fan of Dylan over his career. He’s played on talls & smalls, been an excellent intercept marker and solid decision maker with ball in hand.
But he’s not the player he was. Really poor kick, can no longer mark the ball and is actually not providing the team with any assets at the moment.
He is contracted for next year but really should be encouraged to retire on his terms or spend plenty of weeks in the VFL. If he stays on, it’s should be a break glass in case of emergency basis only.

Should've been dropped round 2-3, but still mopes around costing us goals = games. Can't believe he has another year left. Surely where do we draw the line with our diminished champs? It's getting embarrassing watching them fumble and kill us.

Last edited:
clark-griswold-turkey.gif

Having seen the club carry Edwards, Cotch, Riewoldt a year too many can only picture Grimes 2024 season being as hard to swallow as Clarke W Griswold's turkey based on its downward trajectory.

FB: Tylar Young, Noah Balta, Dylan Grimes
HBF: Nathan Broad, Nick Vlastuin, Daniel Rioli

Moving forward we've got to squeeze Gibcus (surely replaces Young when fit), Short, Banks, Brown and occasionally Baker in the back 6. Trezise?

Don't think Astbury got the full respect he deserved for knowing when he'd had enough (he said he couldn't stomach the required anti- inflammatory pills his body required to get out on the paddock and fair enough they destroy your kidneys and make you physically ill). He was still in pretty good form, and no one was even considering him needing to retire.

clark-griswold-turkey.gif

Having seen the club carry Edwards, Cotch, Riewoldt a year too many can only picture Grimes 2024 season being as hard to swallow as Clarke W Griswold's turkey based on its downward trajectory.

FB: Tylar Young, Noah Balta, Dylan Grimes
HBF: Nathan Broad, Nick Vlastuin, Daniel Rioli

Moving forward we've got to squeeze Gibcus (surely replaces Young when fit), Short, Banks, Brown and occasionally Baker in the back 6. Trezise?

Don't think Astbury got the full respect he deserved for knowing when he'd had enough (he said he couldn't stomach the required anti- inflammatory pills his body required to get out on the paddock and fair enough they destroy your kidneys and make you physically ill). He was still in pretty good form, and no one was even considering him needing to retire.
Humm Young after Rioly was our best defender so he drops out while the other 4 who were putrid stay in makes sense.

2nd best one-on-one stopper in the league this season, but sure, he's no good. This place is a cesspit after a loss.
I’m not too concerned about Young as hes still young and learning in the role. He did make two blunders yesterday which were inexcusable where he sat back and ball watched when he should’ve assisted his teammate and put his body on the line. It’s inexperience to me and a thing he will eventually learn.

Last edited:
I’m not too concerned about Young as hes still young and learning in the role. He did make to blunders yesterday which were inexcusable where he sat back and ball watched when he should’ve assisted his teammate and put his body on the line. It’s inexperience to me and a thing he will eventually learn.

There wasn't a player out there wearing yellow and black that didn't have at least 2-3 blunders yesterday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There wasn't a player out there wearing yellow and black that didn't have at least 2-3 blunders yesterday
I agree, but I’m commenting on Young as his name was raised. There are blunders which you have less control over than others. Young’s two major ones were 100% controllable, but he chose to ball watch. It’s a learning curve as I said and not an issue for me. Grimes is serious bc he’s been poor for the majority of the season and his errors are more costly bc he’s lost a yard, fumbles, drops marks etc etc. With him it’s mind and body as the reflexes are just not there in sync.

His decline has been quick, it wasn’t that long ago that I thought he was one of the best defenders in the competition, had those hamstring issues last year and has looked a shell of himself since.
I’m not sure what we do with him re next year I’m always reluctant to write of champions but you’ve got to weigh that up with developing Bauer Brown etc.

2nd best one-on-one stopper in the league this season, but sure, he's no good. This place is a cesspit after a loss.
Bullshit stats made up for people who don’t have the fortitude to form an opinion by watching the game . it’s also ironic the day after a pretty ordinary forward kick 6 against his side.

Bullshit stats made up for people who don’t have the fortitude to form an opinion by watching the game . it’s also ironic the day after a pretty ordinary forward kick 6 against his side.
I don't follow stats much, although a stat such as he evens contests as well as anyone is not a useless stat because it is just a small aspect of a backman's game, although an important one. To me he generally uses the ball well in pressure situations given his game experience, has a good kick on him and seems pretty aggressive. He is raw but a quick learner. Reckon the CHF position is wide open next year and he will be a better prospect there than Miller or anyone else on our list.

Sam Taylor is the best defender in the AFL right now by a distance imo. Even he would have likely struggled against that 73 f50 entries yesterday, most of those very deep entries.

Some of the errors we made in defence were just the result of the sort of pressure we used to place on some of the best defenders in the competition to make them crack. In Grimes case he has mixed in some less pressured errors, the dropped uncontested chest mark it is difficult to know how that can happen. To be fair about it though, if we put any alternative player in his role yesterday, Bauer, Trezise, Brown, they too would be likely to have cracked under the pressure.

Grimes does plenty of good things people don't notice. But in terms of defending an opponent and his play when taking possession, he has definitely been a level down on his best this season. I am not sure where things should go with him. Contracting him in 2024 looks intelligent to me. Our full back line consists of a 15 gamer and Noah Balta. Tarrant is gone. We still need that experienced player back there to help guide the others.

If we don't fix the inside 50 problem then no backline will ever be good enough.

I don't know what game you are watching then. Young has been excellent this season, all things considered. He is not in the best few defenders in the AFL or anything but he has barely played any football, let alone AFL football. His performance relative to reasonable expectations for his level of experience is off the charts. I don't even need stats to tell me that, you just watch him manhandle opponents and how he uses the ball. The only thing that isn't quite there yet is the speed of decision making required at times, and that will come with experience at the level. Vic Thorp couldn't have stopped that avalanche yesterday.

I don't know what game you are watching then. Young has been excellent this season, all things considered. He is not in the best few defenders in the AFL or anything but he has barely played any football, let alone AFL football. His performance relative to reasonable expectations for his level of experience is off the charts. I don't even need stats to tell me that, you just watch him manhandle opponents and how he uses the ball. The only thing that isn't quite there yet is the speed of decision making required at times, and that will come with experience at the level. Vic Thorp couldn't have stopped that avalanche yesterday.
Exactly yet a stat apparently has him as the 2nd best defender in the comp ?? See my point !

Exactly yet a stat apparently has him as the 2nd best defender in the comp ?? See my point !

The stat doesn't have him as the 2nd best defender in the comp. He has a few defensive statistics where he is inside the top 10 in the AFL, spoils, 1%ers and defensive 1 v 1 contest losses. He is thriving and just needs to be kept in the team and he will become a very very good and reliable key position defender. He has been an incredible bargain for us.

Humm Young after Rioly was our best defender so he drops out while the other 4 who were putrid stay in makes sense.

Clearly it's relating to 2024 moving forward as Gibcus is not in frame for this year. If Tarrant and Gibcus were fit it's doubtful Young plays one game this year. I'm not basing on back of one game anyway I'm basing on the year and total potential. Young's spoiling and 1% are elite. His skills and decision making are not. Vlastuin and Balta have both been in conversation for All Australian squad. Fully fit list Young's first out for Gibcus.

Clearly it's relating to 2024 moving forward as Gibcus is not in frame for this year. If Tarrant and Gibcus were fit it's doubtful Young plays one game this year. I'm not basing on back of one game anyway I'm basing on the year and total potential. Young's spoiling and 1% are elite. His skills and decision making are not. Vlastuin and Balta have both been in conversation for All Australian squad. Fully fit list Young's first out for Gibcus.
I think Young's position in the backline would be to replace Tarrant. Gibcus looks more likely to take Grimes' spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back