Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Also has the talent most in our side don’t have

Overall positives outweigh
He has the talent but even today, against a side half composed with VFL players, the execution wasn't great.
I wouldn't be upset if he spent the first couple rounds in the twos, building up some form and confidence.

Sorry to intrude

I'm so intruiged by this player

In 2018/19 thought he was the next Peter matera..

Sorry to intrude

I'm so intruiged by this player

In 2018/19 thought he was the next Peter matera..

You were wrong. :p

He did look really good when he first came on, he had that kind of Fritsch kind of vibe in that he was able to get into space and be dangerous, do scoreboard damage. When an opposition keeps him in cheque though he doesn't have the work rate to put him consistently in a good position to receive the ball.

It will be interesting to see if Clarkson has some kind of plan to get some more out of him.

Not particularly impressive, but I'm also not sure how to judge him. Game high tackles inside 50, which is good, but I don't remember any particularly effective ones. Has such a strange technique, bugger all body to body contact. Other than that stat, the sheet is pretty freaking bare, but he did seem to be locked into that F50 most of the game?

Thought he had an almost game. A few times chasing the loose ball and it just never bobbed up for him which undid his chance to do some damage. Anyway, I think if the team believes then he is closer to believing in himself. When that happens, we’ll see his best.

Thought he had an almost game. A few times chasing the loose ball and it just never bobbed up for him which undid his chance to do some damage. Anyway, I think if the team believes then he is closer to believing in himself. When that happens, we’ll see his best.
Yeah he gets burnt by team mates a lot when he’s got space…not an amazing game but I don’t think he should be dropped.

Imagine TT instead of Stephenson, can't wait until he is back. Hopefully late 2021 form booting two goals a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I follow Stevenson from afar, he was one of my favorite players at Collingwood and I want him to get a redemption arc.

Seemed he was in the right positions but the ball was going the other way today. Sometimes that's on the player, sometimes that's how the game goes. Sure the stat sheet will look underwhelming, but I recall a couple passages where Stevo was in good position, but a teammate was in a slightly better one and the ball went that way instead.

Hopefully he gets back to where we know he can be.

I thought he did the things he’s had to work on well - tackled, held position and structure and tracked back.

That keeps him in the team. If he keeps doing that, the other things will come and he’ll start kick goals.

Then everyone will think he’s great again.

Yeah people keep screaming out for a small pressure forward who can kick bags of goals while forcing opposition backs to rush their rebounds. Sleevo was working very hard at this caper yesterday.

I follow Stevenson from afar, he was one of my favorite players at Collingwood and I want him to get a redemption arc.

Seemed he was in the right positions but the ball was going the other way today. Sometimes that's on the player, sometimes that's how the game goes. Sure the stat sheet will look underwhelming, but I recall a couple passages where Stevo was in good position, but a teammate was in a slightly better one and the ball went that way instead.

Hopefully he gets back to where we know he can be.
Def not turning out the player we all thought he would be.

Will still have a 200 game afl career though

I thought he did the things he’s had to work on well - tackled, held position and structure and tracked back.

That keeps him in the team. If he keeps doing that, the other things will come and he’ll start kick goals.

Then everyone will think he’s great again.

Agreed! Doing the fundamentals.

Once we start seeing more ability of the team to move uncontested ball he will shine more

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back