Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Spin it whichever way you want, he sits comparably with similar aged general forwards for total goals, goals per game, score involvements and TI50.

He's also one of the only players on that list who doesn't play up on the ball. No full time forwards at North are generating big SI numbers.

View attachment 1693947
Doesn't play on the ball. That confirms it, you don't watch us play. He's ranked 8th on that list for center bounce attendances! You're so full of shit. % of SI per per team score he's ranked in the 40's. And cause I'm obsessed I did some calculations of that list and he ranks second last for SI per team inside (when looking at averages per game). So his low score involvements isn't because of low Inside 50 numbers, its cause he's not impacting the game unless he's been given the ball in the goal square.

So spin any way you want, he just isn't that good.

On our board there's a bit of talk about how this is also Mason Cox's 100th game. I realize they couldn't be further apart in terms of type of player or background, but I couldn't help noticing that Cox is going at 10.6 Disposals per game with about a goal per game. Steevo is doing 10.5 at a 1.5 goals per game. I realize Cox also rucks to provide additional output, but given those stats, Cox is being praised and Stephenson smeared.

Stephenson on occasion reminds me of some periods in Cox's career where he would be standing up forward waiting for a ball that would never come because it was constantly at the other end of the ground. I know we want every player on the ground to carry the team on their backs, but sometimes there's only so much one can do.

I hope Stephenson continues to improve on the things he needs to improve on, making the best of what opportunities do come his way, I hope your club as a whole improves, and I hope for an exciting contest this weekend.

On our board there's a bit of talk about how this is also Mason Cox's 100th game. I realize they couldn't be further apart in terms of type of player or background, but I couldn't help noticing that Cox is going at 10.6 Disposals per game with about a goal per game. Steevo is doing 10.5 at a 1.5 goals per game. I realize Cox also rucks to provide additional output, but given those stats, Cox is being praised and Stephenson smeared.

Stephenson on occasion reminds me of some periods in Cox's career where he would be standing up forward waiting for a ball that would never come because it was constantly at the other end of the ground. I know we want every player on the ground to carry the team on their backs, but sometimes there's only so much one can do.

I hope Stephenson continues to improve on the things he needs to improve on, making the best of what opportunities do come his way, I hope your club as a whole improves, and I hope for an exciting contest this weekend.
Apart from all of us wanting to praise our own, Cox is also marking around the ground so there really isn’t a comparison between them. Cox always had the potential to be influential, which was why North also tried to sign him, but he’s had great development at Collingwood and worked hard so good on him for getting to 100 and playing some of his best football this year.

Stevo is still a really talented and dangerous player and has been one of our better contributors this season in some really poor team performances. Yes as a forward in a poor team it’s hard to get a lot of the ball, but at least he has a defined role that suits him now. He’s been thrown all over the place and not been coached very well since moving across, so here’s hoping it’s onwards and upwards from here for him.

He’s grown on me. I like the kid

I truly think he's one of the most talented players we have, he's just inconsistent and prone to brain fadez. Strikes me as a single digit IQ kind of bloke lol

Congrats on 100 Stevo!

I have always said that he’s the icing rather than the cake for our team. I think his first year play (including his GF cameo) shows that once we become a better team he can be a real weapon. I’m a believer.

I think his physicality (or lack thereof) really gets overblown and he’s shown some good improvement in this area. He also has weapons we lack in the forward half - pace, good skills and a booming leg. Premiership teams require all sorts of different roles to be played and there is definitely one for us he fills.

Over the past couple of years the best pieces of play we’ve had on the counter have had him involved. And most importantly, he seems to be happy and enjoying his time at the club. Go well Stevo and here’s to many more in the blue and white!

He’s grown on me. I like the kid
Makes me happy, he grew on us too. There's a couple of ways to gauge a player. You can look at their skills, impact, big game performance, or how much other clubs hate playing against them.

My view is other clubs don't like playing against Stevo, coz he's annoying and can make you look stupid. People admire say Cunnington because he's honest: there's no lying on a footy field, you are what you are and he's hard loyal and brave. Thats a a guy you prepare for.

Stevo has a touch of the Ginnivans, its great when he's on your side, but frickin' annoying for the enemy. How do you prepare for a freak?

I have zero clue if Sleevo will be the player we hoped for, or will he end up being a bust?
He has the talent. But I can count the number of good 4 quarter games he has played for NM on one finger.

Lots of flashes. Lots of good quarters but yeah, that’s about where we are at.

I have zero clue if Sleevo will be the player we hoped for, or will he end up being a bust?
He has the talent. But I can count the number of good 4 quarter games he has played for NM on one finger.

Lots of flashes. Lots of good quarters but yeah, that’s about where we are at.

Would be a good player in a good team. We're not a good team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't play on the ball. That confirms it, you don't watch us play. He's ranked 8th on that list for center bounce attendances! You're so full of s**t. % of SI per per team score he's ranked in the 40's. And cause I'm obsessed I did some calculations of that list and he ranks second last for SI per team inside (when looking at averages per game). So his low score involvements isn't because of low Inside 50 numbers, its cause he's not impacting the game unless he's been given the ball in the goal square.

So spin any way you want, he just isn't that good.

giphy.gif

Congrats on the ton Stevo.

Looks like you’ve outgrown your youthful inconsistencies and are putting in quality efforts consistently, it’s wonderful to see. Keep working and it will get even better.

Hope you’ll be holding number 5 aloft in a few years after a couple of clutch goals in a grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back