Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

He's now kicked 23.7 in the worst or second worst side in the comp.

Only 7 touches today and only 1 tackle. A really bad turnover that sapped momentum. Didn't think he was overly involved in the game at all. But somehow still found a way to hit the scoreboard.

I sometimes wonder if we are the wrong type of team for him. Imagine him in a Port or Collingwood side. He'd probably kick 50. I think he's a really good player that is mostly icing, and we are a little way away from being ready for him to show his best. Hopefully by the time we get there he isn't through his prime.

Only 7 touches today and only 1 tackle. A really bad turnover that sapped momentum. Didn't think he was overly involved in the game at all. But somehow still found a way to hit the scoreboard.

Larkey had 9 touches and 3 goals. But I accept that's not comparing apples with apples.

Take a look at Fogarty for the Crows. He ended the day with 11 touches and 4 goals, but he got a junk time goal deep in the 4th quarter. Before that he was 3 goals and 10 touches. Playing a similar role to Jaidyn and with significantly more frequent and higher quality forward entries.

I don't really know what people expect from Jaidyn. He's a forward who gets goals. He's never going to be a 25 disposal, 5 tackles type player. That's literally not his role.

He's doing his job.

I sometimes wonder if we are the wrong type of team for him. Imagine him in a Port or Collingwood side. He'd probably kick 50. I think he's a really good player that is mostly icing, and we are a little way away from being ready for him to show his best. Hopefully by the time we get there he isn't through his prime.
Yeah cant imagine him in a Collingwood side.

Larkey had 9 touches and 3 goals. But I accept that's not comparing apples with apples.

Take a look at Fogarty for the Crows. He ended the day with 11 touches and 4 goals, but he got a junk time goal deep in the 4th quarter. Before that he was 3 goals and 10 touches. Playing a similar role to Jaidyn and with significantly more frequent and higher quality forward entries.

I don't really know what people expect from Jaidyn. He's a forward who gets goals. He's never going to be a 25 disposal, 5 tackles type player. That's literally not his role.

He's doing his job.

I keep intruding because I really like Jaidyn. I hope you guys don't mind and I have watched almost every north game since he left

Indeed he is doing his job. He's at 11.5 disposals and 1.5 goals and 1.5 tackles per game this season. For comparison Eddie Betts' career averages are 12 disposals/1.8 goals/3.0 tackles. He's not far from those numbers and I think Eddie Betts was considered a reasonably good footballer!

I feel with Clarkson coming back Stevo is going to get better. He seemed to really improve in the beginning of the year and I think Clarko 'gets' him

He does seem to be going at about one shocking clanger per week, which is what shows on the highlight show later and gives his critics ammo. I recall a passage of play a week or two ago where Stevo is outside defensive 50, gets the ball, gets rid of it to the wing, North brings it up and suddenly (I did a double take actually) Stevo is taking a handball-receive outisde attacking 50. He had got on his bike, busted a 50-60m dead sprint, beat the play and got the ball back. Problem is he shanked the entry kick. So everyone says 'oh come on what was that', while completely disregarding the effort to get to that spot.

Point is he's a developing player struggling to succeed at a struggling club. Sometimes I think that combination overwhelms him.

I keep intruding because I really like Jaidyn. I hope you guys don't mind and I have watched almost every north game since he left

Indeed he is doing his job. He's at 11.5 disposals and 1.5 goals and 1.5 tackles per game this season. For comparison Eddie Betts' career averages are 12 disposals/1.8 goals/3.0 tackles. He's not far from those numbers and I think Eddie Betts was considered a reasonably good footballer!

I feel with Clarkson coming back Stevo is going to get better. He seemed to really improve in the beginning of the year and I think Clarko 'gets' him

He does seem to be going at about one shocking clanger per week, which is what shows on the highlight show later and gives his critics ammo. I recall a passage of play a week or two ago where Stevo is outside defensive 50, gets the ball, gets rid of it to the wing, North brings it up and suddenly (I did a double take actually) Stevo is taking a handball-receive outisde attacking 50. He had got on his bike, busted a 50-60m dead sprint, beat the play and got the ball back. Problem is he shanked the entry kick. So everyone says 'oh come on what was that', while completely disregarding the effort to get to that spot.

Point is he's a developing player struggling to succeed at a struggling club. Sometimes I think that combination overwhelms him.
He makes errors but he's far from the only one, and compared to last year he is definitely improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has one of those body shapes that means he'll have a long prime though, as long he sticks with The Liam Shiels Program he'll play til he's 33 imo.

Enough of this type of chat on here, makes it too hard to have a blanket dislike for Collingwood supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back