AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

If Draper has learned to take marks around the ground, the comp is in trouble.

One of Sam's big flaws was not really getting around the ground and taking some grabs.

He's looking good, I didn't expect this form after his preseason.
That late mark in defence was very Gawn-like
Built into quite a mature performance that game

I liked that he took a couple of marks but I also liked the fact that he did make a lot of effort to present and get to the front. Did not always work out but he has to keep doing that to give him the chance of taking 6 / 7 / 8 marks in his best weeks.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it seems like Sam's kicking has gone to another level. He starting to feel like a threat moving the ball.
Was thinking about this during the game when he kicked to Langford twice. The first was a beautiful pass to the lead-up forward who then found Stringer. The second was when Langford decided that the ball was more meant for him than the fact it was sailing through for what would have been an amazing goal on the run.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it seems like Sam's kicking has gone to another level. He starting to feel like a threat moving the ball.
Cloke factor. Did a lot of one on one stuff with Sam while he was working his way back to full fitness.

Cloke's killing it. Guess he's been working with Harry as well.
He would have but more in the main group with the line coaches. I was whiteness to some of the work Cloke was doing. Kicking mechanics. Working on leading scenarios and angles one on one. I think they see Sam as a guy who can play more forward if need be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hear me out..

Sam draper as a 2nd ruck the rest full forward.

When opposition rucks are having a chop out swing him in and use his X factor to full potential against other second rucks. Can take clunks more frequently in strong attacking positions. Goldy is still more than serviceable for 60-70% of the time. Draper is also a decently reliable kick for goal in his last 3 years 23.20 and also brings a genuine marking contest and an equal X factor threat once the ball hits the deck.

Kurt Tippett 2.0 anyone?

Hear me out..

When opposition rucks are having a chop out swing him in and use his X factor to full potential against other second rucks. Can take clunks more frequently in strong attacking positions. Goldy is still more than serviceable for 60-70% of the time. Draper is also a decently reliable kick for goal in his last 3 years 23.20 and also brings a genuine marking contest and an equal X factor threat once the ball hits the deck.

Kurt Tippett 2.0 anyone?
Draper and Goldstien took 1 mark each for the whole game. Putrid in that dept. For reference, Jones took 9.

Hear me out..

Kurt Tippett 2.0 anyone?
Draper doesn’t mark the ball and has no work rate. He would just get in the way as a forward. Plus he’s a shocking kick / kick for goal

He needs to stop doing the Hollywood type stuff. I feel like he gets a pass because he's like a celebrity around the club which isn't based on performance and more on exterior stuff like the mullet + soccer background + goal of the year attempts.

He needs to be reeled in a bit and not given the free reign to fumble the ball trying to grab it and kick it along like it's a bar of soap on a dry field. I'm sick of it. Then when he messes it up, usually most times as he isn't efficient on disposal, it bites us hard on the opposite way. Then he'll just laugh it off like it's nothing.

While I agree that he gives us more presence around the ground due to his stature, he needs to actually dish it off if he's gonna grab it, put in more effort instead of just giving things a first crack and then giving up, and actually fix his disposal skills. I know he's had a soccer background (recipe for disaster), but he's been in the system long enough now to actually pull his finger out. Just don't get the feeling that he thinks it's serious enough to do so and why would he when he gets such a pass?

All in all I don't think he's shown enough to stamp his authority as a #1 ruckman, and in an ideal sense I would like Bryan to play more, but also we might need to look externally to try and lure someone we think we can rely on more to be more consistent.

He needs to stop doing the Hollywood type stuff. I feel like he gets a pass because he's like a celebrity around the club which isn't based on performance and more on exterior stuff like the mullet + soccer background + goal of the year attempts.

He needs to be reeled in a bit and not given the free reign to fumble the ball trying to grab it and kick it along like it's a bar of soap on a dry field. I'm sick of it. Then when he messes it up, usually most times as he isn't efficient on disposal, it bites us hard on the opposite way. Then he'll just laugh it off like it's nothing.

While I agree that he gives us more presence around the ground due to his stature, he needs to actually dish it off if he's gonna grab it, put in more effort instead of just giving things a first crack and then giving up, and actually fix his disposal skills. I know he's had a soccer background (recipe for disaster), but he's been in the system long enough now to actually pull his finger out. Just don't get the feeling that he thinks it's serious enough to do so and why would he when he gets such a pass?

All in all I don't think he's shown enough to stamp his authority as a #1 ruckman, and in an ideal sense I would like Bryan to play more, but also we might need to look externally to try and lure someone we think we can rely on more to be more consistent.

Agree with a lot of this.

18 months ago, I would have guessed that in 2024 he’d be one of the better rucks in the game.

Realistically, where would he rank? Top 15/20/25?

He’s very likable and even now, at least at full health, he’s an okay no.1 ruck - but he’s nowhere near the top tier rucks in the league. Not trying to have a dig at him, but I think a lot of us hoped he would be by now.

Agree with a lot of this.

18 months ago, I would have guessed that in 2024 he’d be one of the better rucks in the game.

Realistically, where would he rank? Top 15/20/25?

He’s very likable and even now, at least at full health, he’s an okay no.1 ruck - but he’s nowhere near the top tier rucks in the league. Not trying to have a dig at him, but I think a lot of us hoped he would be by now.
Needs to get back to basics and not try to be everything. Send him some tapes of Max Gawn and focus on around the ground marking presence & tapwork. Both Goldstein and Draper need to improve marking. Lack of it from our big men is killing us big time.

Just look at Gawn's marking around the ground, sets Dees up beautifully.

Looked rusty.
He was up against the terrfying ruck pair of Soldo and Finlayson.

He actually needs to look at Soldo, despite a pretty limited ruckman, and take a leaf out of his book.

I reckon Bryan will end up being a better ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back