Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

So what you're saying is we need to move the ball faster from half back rather than kicking it down the line to a contest or kicking it backwards to maintain control? Wow, that almost sounds like exactly what we need to change.

A gross misrepresentation of what I said. The controlling game isn't kicking it down the line to a contest or kicking it backwards to buy time. That's what happens when you don't have the dare and the drive to take the game on. The control game is when you chip it through, find the gap and exploit the opposition not manning up. You can do that buy having players run past the guy with the ball to get the overlap, something we never seem to do. So yes, a tweak is very much needed, but the defensive side of the game is quite solid and I don't think we need to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I see it differently. Controlling Football doesn’t withstand pressure of finals. Need to put the other team under pressure so you can capitalise on their mistakes.

Having said that, no coach is better equipped to reinvent their game than Scott. He has done it multiple times in 11 seasons. The question for me is will his ego allow him to concede this isn’t working.
Depends on what you mean by controlling footy. Do you mean the defensive aspects? Because that works fine. The issue is when you try to play perfect instead of embracing mistakes which leads to long kicks down the line instead of the quick handball off the mark to a teammate running past.

I don't understand your 2nd point. Either scott doesn't have an ego, which has allowed him to change his game multiple times in 11 seasons, or he does have an ego but this time it will be an issue when it wasn't in the past. Not really getting that.

What if you don't hate either, respect both their contributions to the GFC ,but think its the perfect time for Scott to move or be moved on?

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
What if you don't hate either, respect both their contributions to the GFC ,but think its the perfect time for Scarlett to move or be moved on?

Depends on what you mean by controlling footy. Do you mean the defensive aspects? Because that works fine. The issue is when you try to play perfect instead of embracing mistakes which leads to long kicks down the line instead of the quick handball off the mark to a teammate running past.
Controlling Footy is/was Scott’s attempt to defeat the modern dominant brand of successful footy: Pressure Footy. The latest incarnation of that plan (2019-2021) has been to try to starve the opposition of the ball through kick-mark play so they are denied the opportunity to pressure us into mistakes. It has not succeeded in defeating Pressure Footy because in finals, when the heat is turned up, it’s not possible to sustain kick-mark footy for long enough under sustained and intense pressure.

I don't understand your 2nd point. Either scott doesn't have an ego, which has allowed him to change his game multiple times in 11 seasons, or he does have an ego but this time it will be an issue when it wasn't in the past. Not really getting that.
Everyone has an ego.

My point in this case is Scott’s ego could be the barrier to him accepting that Pressure Footy cannot be defeated under the current rules and other circumstances. I’m not suggesting he is incapable of accepting it, but it is a possibility.

My oh My!

As a member of the Would have been better if Scott moved on club, here is my glass half full thoughts.

Scotty can obviously coach and is an A Grade talent in that regard, burnout and stubbornness are a concern but hopefully Hocking has drawn a line in the sand and Scotty has bowed that he will need to change.

Club has clearly taken time to come to this decision, I admire the club enough to strongly believe this included due diligence on who else would be available to coach if they moved Scott on.

14 years and more is just a mind blowing thought but…. My hope is that it includes one of the three scenarios

Option A: Scotty will go for the Gold Coast gig next year and if he gets it Caracella has already agreed to be head coach in 2023, however felt he had unfinished business or wasn’t ready to leave dons. Option B is Caracella will coach us at end of Scotty’s reign

Third Option is Geelong have decided there are no better coaches out there who are experienced and will take 12-24 months to identify the best inexperienced coach who will be assigned as an assistant and in an announced transition. Whether that be GIa from doggies or Yze who knows-

But for my sanity I can’t believe it’s just a blank check for the future

Here’s to bloody hoping we play attacking and play kids

Go Cats! - as me and my fam joke whenever they write us off every year- the club is amazing at what it is amazing at and we will never drop off and be losing pre Lims for years to come!

Go Cats!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is there a chance we can get a poll made up, in do we support Chris Scott in getting a 2 year contract extension?

I've always said that Scott is a very good coach. But I've said in the same breath that I think of a lot of his attraction to the club is the way he presents commercially.

We need sponsors. We needed the stands built.
He definitely puts across an impression that we are strong, resilient, and player welfare minded.

So on the back of that, here's something for the people that want him out.
Do you know what relevance the end of this new contract brings?

Fords 99th year.
If he's going ok. Let's say top 5. Do you actually think they'll remove a coach of his standing and presence, and also the longest serving coach at the club before the 100th year?

Im not convinced he is a good coach. He is a very good manager.

I see it differently. Controlling Football doesn’t withstand pressure of finals. Need to put the other team under pressure so you can capitalise on their mistakes.

Having said that, no coach is better equipped to reinvent their game than Scott. He has done it multiple times in 11 seasons. The question for me is will his ego allow him to concede this isn’t working.

Id like our default to be more ramped up to risk...but I think we need to update our mids to do it. Totally agree on the finals observation, have said it for ages. Thru the year its a different tempo, and a different level of player stress. To do it in finals we have to do it thru the year when we probably win playing the pos game. Will he be willing to risk to gain?

If his ego is a problem now then geelong have a bigger problem, they have the inmates running the asylum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So interesting to see whether scott can leave his ego at the door, and admit defeat with his rubbish game plan, and try something new. Or keep doing the same sh*t over and over again and wondering why it hasn’t worked this time.

Funny when we win no one says a word but when we lose...
F&#KIN Game Plan!!!!
He's/We've had pretty much a controlling footy game plan from 2011 and i'd say prior to an extent with minor and major tweaks along the way depending on the cattle we've had on the paddock.
If people can't see that, they are really kidding themselves TBH.
Am i a great fan of Scott??
Not great. but love his competitiveness, his hard edge, his ego, his love and passion to win and above all his role as an ambassador of the Geelong Football Club.
He has maintained our relevancy to this competition. He has maintained our standing. Our fan/membership base. Our sponsorship base.
Some see us for what we are. A very competitive & competent side.
A Dynasty?? No, not even a shadow of our halcyon days of a mighty dynasty era that should of won 5 flags on the trot.
Forget it and dont even try and compare the them with anything we have seen over the past decade. Except for the Tigers Imo.
Just an above average team that has been on the podium or just short of it for more years than i can remember.
I am disappointed?? Yeah sure. I'd love to win a flag year in and year out. Wouldn't everyone. But thats not how sports work.
Sometimes you are just not as good as your opponent and them the facts unfortunately.
Now Game plans...
One thing i will say about game plans.
If your players do not preform close to their best levels when the game is on & the opposition does you are fooked.
It does NOT matter what game plan you have as you will lose.
You can have ANY GAME PLAN you like.
But without the best output from your players forget about it.
Thats my little rant...
Cheers Boys

Controlling Footy is/was Scott’s attempt to defeat the modern dominant brand of successful footy: Pressure Footy. The latest incarnation of that plan (2019-2021) has been to try to starve the opposition of the ball through kick-mark play so they are denied the opportunity to pressure us into mistakes. It has not succeeded in defeating Pressure Footy because in finals, when the heat is turned up, it’s not possible to sustain kick-mark footy for long enough under sustained and intense pressure.

Everyone has an ego.

My point in this case is Scott’s ego could be the barrier to him accepting that Pressure Footy cannot be defeated under the current rules and other circumstances. I’m not suggesting he is incapable of accepting it, but it is a possibility.

I still strongly disagree with this idea possession football cannot win finals, it just depends on your ability to execute.

That hawks team had an outside possesion game plan and look how beautifully it worked and sliced through oppo during finals.

The difference being... how capable are you of hitting an opponent under pressure?? how capable are you of slicing off a kick in between two players AND consistently doing it 19/20 times?? what constitutes a safe kick for some players defines the limits of what they can and can't chew off by foot to get through zones.

We do seem to maintain a key focus on contested football and winning it at the coalface, which that hawks team hardly gave a stuff about.

Our issue seems to be winning the ball back at a contest and when oppo run and spread more than anything else when i watch our finals losses. The work done in close around stoppages kills us on transition and we just cannot get it back.

Id like our default to be more ramped up to risk...but I think we need to update our mids to do it. Totally agree on the finals observation, have said it for ages. Thru the year its a different tempo, and a different level of player stress. To do it in finals we have to do it thru the year when we probably win playing the pos game. Will he be willing to risk to gain?

If his ego is a problem now then geelong have a bigger problem, they have the inmates running the asylum.
I will see rolling out the same gameplan or even a slightly tweaked one in 2022 as an ego issue.

Funny when we win no one says a word but when we lose...
F&#KIN Game Plan!!!!
He's/We've had pretty much a controlling footy game plan from 2011 and i'd say prior to an extent with minor and major tweaks along the way depending on the cattle we've had on the paddock.
If people can't see that, they are really kidding themselves TBH.
Am i a great fan of Scott??
Not great. but love his competitiveness, his hard edge, his ego, his love and passion to win and above all his role as an ambassador of the Geelong Football Club.
He has maintained our relevancy to this competition. He has maintained our standing. Our fan/membership base. Our sponsorship base.
Some see us for what we are. A very competitive & competent side.
A Dynasty?? No, not even a shadow of our halcyon days of a mighty dynasty era that should of won 5 flags on the trot.
Forget it and dont even try and compare the them with anything we have seen over the past decade. Except for the Tigers Imo.
Just an above average team that has been on the podium or just short of it for more years than i can remember.
I am disappointed?? Yeah sure. I'd love to win a flag year in and year out. Wouldn't everyone. But thats not how sports work.
Sometimes you are just not as good as your opponent and them the facts unfortunately.
Now Game plans...
One thing i will say about game plans.
If your players do not preform close to their best levels when the game is on & the opposition does you are fooked.
It does NOT matter what game plan you have as you will lose.
You can have ANY GAME PLAN you like.
But without the best output from your players forget about it.
Thats my little rant...
Cheers Boys
It’s proven not to work in high pressure games. You know, like finals. So yes, it’s a factor.

I don't understand why not go into 2022 under the current contract, assess how he is going then make a call on if there is an extension or not?
Leverage. He probably hinted he wouldn't go into 2022 out of contract and wanted an extension, and we're not in a position to essentially fire him by refusing.
Like who can we get that's better?

I don’t understand why anyone would spear a proven coach before he’s had a chance to ‘fail’ (fail in the usual sense not the ‘we were close but didn’t win’ sense).

There’s 3-4 different things a coach can do in their career successfully.

1. Steer an already good team to the top
2. Keep an already good team competitive and near the top
Longmire and Scott have both done 1 and 2

3. Take a new young team to being competitive and set to launch

4. Take a new young team to the top.

No one knows if Scott can do either of 3-4. It’s a big risk to take to just cut him without finding out, and then more than likely appointing a replacement who hasn’t done any of those 4 things.

Leave this here as an example of the decision the board would have to make to pull the trigger and move him on. An untried coach would never have been chosen over Scott given his record.

It’s proven not to work in high pressure games. You know, like finals. So yes, it’s a factor.

Ahhh so there are NO high pressure games thoughout the year?
I call BS to that. As there are plenty of high pressure games of the highest caliber during the season.
Guess what, we won more than we lost I am betting.
So that old catchcry of it doesn’t work when the pressure is applied is kinda rubbish talk.

Leverage. He probably hinted he wouldn't go into 2022 out of contract and wanted an extension, and we're not in a position to essentially fire him by refusing.
Like who can we get that's better?

Leave this here as an example of the decision the board would have to make to pull the trigger and move him on. An untried coach would never have been chosen over Scott given his record.

If you could get Clarkson or Hardwick - and even Hardwick hasn’t shown that he can mould a gameplan that doesn’t revolve around ‘staying in the game and letting the cream rise to the top’ - and full credit to him for doing it - than maybe you could say yeah this is an upgrade but at the moment anyone we replace Scott with is literally at exactly the same starting point as he is: seeing if he can oversee a changing of the guard (a bigger one than he’s already seen)

Ahhh so there are NO high pressure games thoughout the year?
I call BS to that. As there are plenty of high pressure games of the highest caliber during the season.
Guess what, we won more than we lost I am betting.
So that old catchcry of it doesn’t work when the pressure is applied is kinda rubbish talk.
Of course there are high pressure games during the year. We don’t win every h&a game you know. And the pressure ramps up even higher in finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back