Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the bolded - i think one point that should be made here

When the siren blew to end the 2011 GF - giving the Cats 3 flags in 5 years - Geelong had an opportunity to really dominate the comp

Just won the Premiership - and had 2 beautiful unused draft picks ( in the teens ) up their sleeve for the Ablett compensation ( and by the way - far better compensation than what the Hawks got in just pick 19 for Buddy )

Wells who has done a good job and all the rest of it - if he had nailed those picks - Geel could have had an extended run of dominance - but he wasted both picks - Smedts who had the reputation of a champion schoolboy footballer - he got sucked in by that - and he overlooked that Smedts had a very awkward ball drop when kicking - that should have put the line through him - in his memory bank should have been Tenace who had the seem problem - but he overlooked that fact somehow . And Caddy - re now Parfitt that was another wasted pick - pity he didnt use it on Caddys best mate Prestia

Those 2 high totally wasted lovely draft picks - was a turning point in Geelongs history
Little bit of revisionist history here. Gold Coast had 8 of the first 13 picks in that draft. Prestia went at 9 so he was well and truly off the table before our first pick at 15. Atley went next, good servant but hardly a star and Isaac Smith at 19. The next best pick was Cameron Guthrie who seems to have been a reasonable pick by Wells. Smedts was a bust but there were 3 earlier picks who played less games which goes to show that drafting is as much luck as skill. There was no one other than Gold Coast and GWS that were going to win from the draft in 2010 and 2011.

Little bit of revisionist history here. Gold Coast had 8 of the first 13 picks in that draft. Prestia went at 9 so he was well and truly off the table before our first pick at 15. Atley went next, good servant but hardly a star and Isaac Smith at 19. The next best pick was Cameron Guthrie who seems to have been a reasonable pick by Wells. Smedts was a bust but there were 3 earlier picks who played less games which goes to show that drafting is as much luck as skill. There was no one other than Gold Coast and GWS that were going to win from the draft in 2010 and 2011.

Yes - but the interesting thing - and main question/point re your post - is how many years could Geel hold onto ( not use ) those 2 picks for - like with Caddy from memory - they held onto that pick for 12mths - then used the pick on Caddy the following year

Wells has done well - but Smedts was a total bust - and the worst wasted high pick was Fogarty by a mile - short slow and cant kick - his only asset is hes got good hands - re handball in tight congested spaces

I hope he has a better 2nd year out at Carlton - but i think he will be delisted - just hasnt got the skillset required - that was a bewildering and total wasted pick by Wells

Robbo interview CS....

There seems to be an under current of change while not admitting there was anything really wrong... things are looking more positive now because of change? Like this quote about the new coaches...

Scott is energised by the arrival of the likes of Egan, Taylor and Kelly.

As an aside, a theory Scott had fallen out with Matthew Knights, Corey Enright and Matthew Scarlett, who all departed the club, was dismissed by a Cats official.

For the new arrivals, they were not told of the game style by members of the footy department because Scott had a grander plan.

He asked them what they thought of the recent game style, the list, “tell us what we should be doing differently”, “tell us what you think we can do to get it done in September”.

Sometime in the future, this exercise might be labelled a line-in-the-sand moment
“In terms of game style, we took about six weeks to say, ‘let’s approach this as if we’re a new group and if we’re just starting from scratch, so how would we do it?’,’’ Scott said.

“After six weeks, we would then overlay what we have done and why.

“It was interesting. The real positive of that is we didn’t spend much time explaining to them all the problems we thought we had with our list and the way we played. That encouraged optimism.

game style.... Our game style worked well...but we are going to change it ?........

“The way I’d describe it and we’ve talked about a little bit, we thought our game style when it worked well it worked really well and the scoring numbers reflected that, and even in big games.

“In 2020, we became more controlled with the ball than I anticipated we would be, but it was working for us.

“We’ve always been a really strong defensive team. If you look at finals series of 2020, and I know they were shortened games and we couldn’t get it done in the second half of the grand final, but we were the highest scoring team of that finals series.”

Since then, and in essence, the Cats could score and at the same time the Cats could look like they were swimming in the reeds.

“You can cherry pick numbers a little bit, but the issue for us in our view, and we knew this last year as well, but it was difficult for various reasons to change,” he said.

“We thought, to go from the way we were playing when it wasn’t working well to playing a more attacking style when we needed to score was too much of a shift in our game.

“We don’t want to be a team who plays one mode and if that’s not working, then we’re going to turn it on its head and play a different way.

“The short answer is, ‘yes’, we are thinking about shifting some things to put more pressure on the opposition and if it means we get scored against a little bit more, we’re going to have to live with that.’’

refresh the side ....

“I feel good, I feel optimistic, and the past couple of years have been a challenge for everyone, and we’ve had a longer preparation this year. But there are still some obvious challenges.

“Change was required for us, as it was back then (end of 2010).”

There will be personnel and positional changes on the field.

He has already flagged less time in the midfield for Joel Selwood.

Jeremy Cameron is gliding — “He’s doing things at training that we didn’t see at all last year,’’ Scott said.

Troubled recruit Tyson Stengle (23 years old) and Sam De Koning (20) will play at either end, and a bevy of young midfielders will be given opportunities.

In an internal scratch match last Thursday, youngsters Cooper Stephens, Max Holmes and Mitch Knevitt were, at stages, pitted against Selwood, Cam Guthrie and Brandon Parfitt in the centre square.

Geelong has used Mitch Knevitt in the midfield during internal scratch matches.
Holmes is the elite runner, Knevitt is a tall midfielder who was the club’s first selection in last year’s draft, and Stephens has had a super summer after injuries and Covid interruptions over two years.

De Koning has put on 17kg in two years and has spent his pre-season playing defence alongside Tom Stewart and Mark Blicavs.

If you’re talking more attacking footy, there’s the option of playing one of their creative ball users, Mitch Duncan or Cameron Guthrie, as a rebounding half-back.

Gary Rohan played back late last year with some success and, let’s be honest, his days as a forward are numbered.

In the end , you can talk taste all you want .... the true test will be in the eating.

The part where he talks about not knowing what to do, and asking other people their thoughts about where they should go from here. Maybe try reading the article 😂
Perhaps you should read the article. Where exactly does it say he didn't know what to do? You would hope that if you bring in new coaches you would ask them what they thought should change and get a fresh perspective. Isn't that the whole idea behind swapping out a big chunk of the coaching staff?

The part where he talks about not knowing what to do, and asking other people their thoughts about where they should go from here. Maybe try reading the article 😂

Yes imagine a coach asking other potential coaching staff what their analysis of the current situation is.

Much better would be just to scratch all other staff altogether and alleviate the potential for anyone else having any input whatsoever.

Is this really the level you need to go to in order to rag on someone?

I've read the article a few times now and can't see where the bolded is said - care to quote it, or is it more likely that it's your own thoughts on things?

What I did read in the article though is that the new members of the coaching group were asked for their input & I'm not sure the issue with that.

"He asked them what they thought of the recent game style, the list, “tell us what we should be doing differently”, “tell us what you think we can do to get it done in September”...

...“It was interesting. The real positive of that is we didn’t spend much time explaining to them all the problems we thought we had with our list and the way we played. That encouraged optimism."

Isn't a key reason for getting new faces in the coaching group, that they bring new & fresh ideas too things - what would be the point of bringing in new coaches if they were just going to be told to think the same as the old coaches & that despite the off field changes after 2021, the club didn't want to actually change anything?

Your post seems like a whinge just for the sake of whinging - the club makes changes & apparently it means they have no ideas, but no doubt if they made no changes you'd them be complaining about them being stubborn & refusing to change to try something new

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps you should read the article. Where exactly does it say he didn't know what to do? You would hope that if you bring in new coaches you would ask them what they thought should change and get a fresh perspective. Isn't that the whole idea behind swapping out a big chunk of the coaching staff?

Yes imagine a coach asking other potential coaching staff what their analysis of the current situation is.

Much better would be just to scratch all other staff altogether and alleviate the potential for anyone else having any input whatsoever.

Is this really the level you need to go to in order to rag on someone?

He basically says he didn’t know what to do to improve, and they had to start from a blank sheet. Tell me how a blank sheet doesnt mean he was completely bereft of ideas where to go from here?

And obviously he’s going to get input from other coaches. Do you think the head coach does all the work 100%? 🤪

He basically says he didn’t know what to do to improve, and they had to start from a blank sheet. Tell me how a blank sheet doesnt mean he was completely bereft of ideas where to go from here?

And obviously he’s going to get input from other coaches. Do you think the head coach does all the work 100%? 🤪

Yeah except he basically didn’t.

Seems like a sinking ship. Clueless as what to do.

Change had to come though, hopefully it works.
What a puerile reaction to a positive move.
Changes were made, and it's not the head coach who was moved on.
If he did not listen to the new staff you'd be complaining.

I am not a huge Scott lover by any stretch, but that is absolutely you seeing what you wanted from that article.... rather than telling the new eyes up front what we would do he got opinions from people coming in and fresh eyes... that is a fantastic exercise if you ask me... empowers the new coaches, creates a good dynamic in the coaching group and also can bring on fresh ideas and create really good discussion, there will still be elements of our recent game plan in there because you can't completely throw the baby out of the bathwater but the fact Scott opened up discussions this way if nothing else shows he isn't the dictator people want to paint him as, that he is willing to back in his staff and also to be open to new ideas... also very aware that his views may be tarnished by bias and long time relationships with players and that outsiders would see things differently.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding as the season unfolds and at this stage it is all just talk, but it is IMO a really positive approach

Isn't a key reason for getting new faces in the coaching group, that they bring new & fresh ideas too things - what would be the point of bringing in new coaches if they were just going to be told to think the same as the old coaches & that despite the off field changes after 2021, the club didn't want to actually change anything?
It seems pretty clear to me that Hocking wants change,I'm not to sure Scott wants the same changes and could be the crux of the delayed signing of his contract.Just my 2 cents worth.

Anything to denigrate the coach...just make sh*t up and go with it.
this thread is in pt5 with part 6 on its way.... fair chance its a staple of this place now.

GO Catters

I am not a huge Scott lover by any stretch, but that is absolutely you seeing what you wanted from that article.... rather than telling the new eyes up front what we would do he got opinions from people coming in and fresh eyes... that is a fantastic exercise if you ask me... empowers the new coaches, creates a good dynamic in the coaching group and also can bring on fresh ideas and create really good discussion, there will still be elements of our recent game plan in there because you can't completely throw the baby out of the bathwater but the fact Scott opened up discussions this way if nothing else shows he isn't the dictator people want to paint him as, that he is willing to back in his staff and also to be open to new ideas... also very aware that his views may be tarnished by bias and long time relationships with players and that outsiders would see things differently.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding as the season unfolds and at this stage it is all just talk, but it is IMO a really positive approach
In fact he has always said it is a very collaborative coaching set-up, and that he'll have his ideas and plays, and players in mind, but he often gets to go with the majority rules. I find that really refreshing. Have never seen him as a dictator, and his media days were very illuminating.
Having followed the Cats since 1963, CS comes across to me as the best overall package we have ever had.

---------------------------yes, I am a huge CS fan, unashamedly.

Seems like a sinking ship. Clueless as what to do.

Change had to come though, hopefully it works.
Deckchairs and Titanic come to mind..
Still, bring it on. Some good signs in the practice match. Players taking the game on, moving the ball more quickly.
Things that haven't changed but should..
Blicavs still suspect as a mano mano back. Big forwards will worry us
Dahlmouse is still running around in the hoops.
Tommy still arguing with umpires
Ratugolea still clueless, and kicking is atrocious for someone who purports to be a forward.
Stanley looked cooked..

Deckchairs and Titanic come to mind..
Still, bring it on. Some good signs in the practice match. Players taking the game on, moving the ball more quickly.
Things that haven't changed but should..
Blicavs still suspect as a mano mano back. Big forwards will worry us
Dahlmouse is still running around in the hoops.
Tommy still arguing with umpires
Ratugolea still clueless, and kicking is atrocious for someone who purports to be a forward.
Stanley looked cooked..
As said lots over the last 5 or so years, that is our list.
Expecting more from the same players, particularly Tomahawk, is not going to happen , but accepting all their positive attributes still gives us a smiling chance.
They will be there and abouts

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back