Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding is that they are still working through the details. But it's dragging on a bit. I wonder what the sticking point is.
perhaps its the bit about wanting him back.

GO Catters

perhaps its the bit about wanting him back.

GO Catters
Maybe. I mean Hocking has been pretty clear that he would be extended. I figured the delay must have been to do with finer points. But there could be an aspect of second thoughts, or either party being more swayed to take the wait-and-see approach with this season. The longer it goes, the more likely that seems. But who knows.

Career averages: 9.6 disposals, 1.1 goals per game
Finals averages: 8.8 disposals, 0.7 goals per game

So apart from getting less of the ball, and hitting the scoreboard less (and his career stats are already putrid), his finals efforts haven't actually been sub-par. Makes sense.

We're not talking about a 22 year old who has played 45 games either. He turns 31 in June, and has played 165 games. Absolutely no excuse for the consistent, relentless sh*t this clown dishes up in September.

As I was patronisingly told however - it's what he does when he doesn't have the ball that matters. By that logic we should have won the Prelim in a canter.

Should be fired from the cannon. Then stuff in whoever recruited him.

For once i actually DONT diametrically disagree with you as I think the positives of Rohan’s recruitment have been balanced out by the negatives however I’m always fascinated when people post figures comparing finals to regular season output as though they SHOULD be identical.

Every finals match is played against a credible opponent. Every second home and away match is not. Yes there are definitely players who actually play BETTER in big games or against good opposition but that’s the reason those players are regarded as stars: because there aren’t many of them.

Most players, especially forward of the ball, will have lesser numbers in finalists because almost as a rule, every team that makes and plays finals has at least a decent defence

This doesn’t change the fact that he has been terrible in finals but looking at match averages to work it out doesn’t add an exclamation point to the argument; it’s common sense

Firstly, do yourself a favor and read the discussion regarding the topic of conversation (NFL). I was responding to posters who made mention of the sport.
I do agree, NFL is a completely different sport where virtually all your successes evolve squarely on the shoulders of the quarterback. Hence why they get paid nearly triple compared to their teammates.

All teams lose champion players. Look at West Coast's list in 2006 and compare it to 2015.
Has not prevented them from playing the excuses game.

Favour?? lol yeah nah...
I am not playing the excuse game.
Putting forward a reason/or reasons on why something did or did not happen is simply giving people some insight on why something occurred the way it did. Has been happening since the dawn of time. usually by the victors if you know your history.
A bit perplexed on... Why bring up a good West Coast team as an example???
I am talking about a once in a generation Geelong Dynasty team.
Can you pick the difference?? I guess not since you used a 2006 Eagles team to a 2015 one. They choked vs the Hawks.??
Not sure why u didn't go straight to 2018 when they dodged the Tiger juggernaut of the 2016-2020 Dynasty era.
Like winning the Lottery. Thanks Collingwood.
So back your claim of Geelong bringing in a host of ready made players and superstars. I'll give you danger, JC will have to be 100% fit to be counted this year. With nothing to show for it. Well we got what we deserve really.
Let's start with just a few examples of why trying replicate one of the best teams is no easy task. Actually near on quite impossible.
You think we replaced our greatest Full Back in Matty Scarlett with Jarrod Rivers or was it Hendo?? Nah...
Do you think we replaced Milburn with Touhy?? Nope...
What about Tom Harley?? Who took that mantle??
Who did we replace Mooney with?? Oh yeah.. Podsiadliy. Or did he replace Max Rooke?? lol No again...
Our midfield general in Cameron Ling was replaced by who again?? Ummm... yeah i'm still trying to work that one out.
Do you think we replaced Brad Ottens with HMac.. or was it Orren Stephenson or Trent West... Dawson Simpson???? No No it was Stanley. lol
Did we ever replace Garry Ablett Jnr??? Our greatest midfielder?? The comps best player?? Oh yeah we did... with Caddy & Smedts. lol
How did we replace Bundy? Chappy? StevieJ? Bartel? Corey? Stokesy? Varcoe? Hunt? Wojo?
The likes of Murdoch, Caddy, Smedts, Mitchell Clark & Brown, Taylor Hunt, GHS, Motlop, Vardy, Josh Walker, Thurlow, Cowan, Cockatoo, Menzel, Gregson, Lang, Kersten, Zac Smith, Linc, Ruggles.... all stepped in and had a go.
But NONE and i mean NONE of them were even a shadow of those players that dominated for us during that 5-6 year stretch.
You can't replace out and out champions with average plodders and expect the same results. Even if they are quite handy players like Tuohy Hendo they still aren't of the same calibre.
So... Why we didn't win that one or that one or why we were beaten when we should've won... blah blah blah.
I'll try to explain it in a really simplistic way.
We won in 2007 2009 and 2011 because we (the TEAM) played better on the day and had lady luck on our side. The saints were very unlucky TBH.
We lost in 2008 coz we (the TEAM) didn't play well and the Hawks (TEAM) did and had lady luck on their side.
We lost the 2013 PF coz we (the TEAM) didn't play well enough in the last quarter and were over run by a better fast finishing Hawks team.
As for the era of 2014 to the present.
We were not good enough as a team. The results show you that. The video evidence is damming. Our play during crucial times (finals) was not good enough to beat the opposition. The opposition was better. Hurts to be second best even third or fourth best as you dont get any accolades to pin on your chest. Yeah i understand it's a bugger.
That Richmond team which IMHO should've won 4 on the trot and barring a multitude of injuries in 2021 played in 5 straight Grand Finals. Is as far as i'm concerned the best team i've seen in quite some time. When we added the likes of Danger and Tim Kelly.
They nailed it by adding Tom Lynch Toby Nankervis Bacha Houli and the Meatball himself Dion Prestia that made them the best side to grace the MCG turf in decades.
Some say it was Hardwick who created this champion team, Nah... just like Bomber before him and then others before him.
It is the players that preform on the big stage and they alone that win it all for you and I. Players win and lose you games. Never seen a coach kick a goal miss a tackle or give away a free kick.
I've never heard of a player ever blame anyone else for their failures. if so they should be looking in the mirror.
Ever since watching my first game in 1974 at Kardinia Park until know.
I am a supporter barracker member follower and lover of the Geelong Footy Club.
Whether they win lose or draw. Unlike some, they think all that matters is winning that last game in September.
Nah thats not a diehard Cat in my book. you watch every game. You ride the highs and lows. Thats football!!
So i'll leave you with this. I've loved all our coaches... coz they are our coaches. Did we win or lose because of them??
Nah.
Cheers

Favour?? lol yeah nah...
Putting forward a reason/or reasons on why something did or did not happen is simply giving people some insight on why something occurred the way it did. Has been happening since the dawn of time. usually by the victors if you know your history.
Can you pick the difference?? I guess not since you used a 2006 Eagles team to a 2015 one. They choked vs the Hawks.??
Not sure why u didn't go straight to 2018 when they dodged the Tiger juggernaut of the 2016-2020 Dynasty era.
So back your claim of Geelong bringing in a host of ready made players and superstars. I'll give you danger, JC will have to be 100% fit to be counted this year. With nothing to show for it. Well we got what we deserve really.
Let's start with just a few examples of why trying replicate one of the best teams is no easy task. Actually near on quite impossible.
You think we replaced our greatest Full Back in Matty Scarlett with Jarrod Rivers or was it Hendo?? Nah...
Who did we replace Mooney with?? Oh yeah.. Podsiadliy. Or did he replace Max Rooke?? lol No again...
Our midfield general in Cameron Ling was replaced by who again?? Ummm... yeah i'm still trying to work that one out.
Do you think we replaced Brad Ottens with HMac.. or was it Orren Stephenson or Trent West... Dawson Simpson???? No No it was Stanley. lol
Did we ever replace Garry Ablett Jnr??? Our greatest midfielder?? The comps best player?? Oh yeah we did... with Caddy & Smedts. lol
How did we replace Bundy? Chappy? StevieJ? Bartel? Corey? Stokesy? Varcoe? Hunt? Wojo?
The likes of Murdoch, Caddy, Smedts, Mitchell Clark & Brown, Taylor Hunt, GHS, Motlop, Vardy, Josh Walker, Thurlow, Cowan, Cockatoo, Menzel, Gregson, Lang, Kersten, Zac Smith, Linc, Ruggles.... all stepped in and had a go.
But NONE and i mean NONE of them were even a shadow of those players that dominated for us during that 5-6 year stretch.
You can't replace out and out champions with average plodders and expect the same results. Even if they are quite handy players like Tuohy Hendo they still aren't of the same calibre.
So... Why we didn't win that one or that one or why we were beaten when we should've won... blah blah blah.
We won in 2007 2009 and 2011 because we (the TEAM) played better on the day and had lady luck on our side. The saints were very unlucky TBH.
We lost in 2008 coz we (the TEAM) didn't play well and the Hawks (TEAM) did and had lady luck on their side.
We lost the 2013 PF coz we (the TEAM) didn't play well enough in the last quarter and were over run by a better fast finishing Hawks team.
We were not good enough as a team. The results show you that. The video evidence is damming. Our play during crucial times (finals) was not good enough to beat the opposition. The opposition was better. Hurts to be second best even third or fourth best as you dont get any accolades to pin on your chest. Yeah i understand it's a bugger.
That Richmond team which IMHO should've won 4 on the trot and barring a multitude of injuries in 2021 played in 5 straight Grand Finals. Is as far as i'm concerned the best team i've seen in quite some time. When we added the likes of Danger and Tim Kelly.
They nailed it by adding Tom Lynch Toby Nankervis Bacha Houli and the Meatball himself Dion Prestia that made them the best side to grace the MCG turf in decades.
Some say it was Hardwick who created this champion team, Nah... just like Bomber before him and then others before him.
It is the players that preform on the big stage and they alone that win it all for you and I. Players win and lose you games. Never seen a coach kick a goal miss a tackle or give away a free kick.
I've never heard of a player ever blame anyone else for their failures. if so they should be looking in the mirror.
Whether they win lose or draw. Unlike some, they think all that matters is winning that last game in September.
Nah thats not a diehard Cat in my book. you watch every game. You ride the highs and lows. Thats football!!
So i'll leave you with this. I've loved all our coaches... coz they are our coaches. Did we win or lose because of them??
Nah.
Cheers

So hang on, we didn’t replace guys that left with guys that were already there. We got in draftees and recycled players to jump the queue in all those cases did we?

See I always thought it was that Selwood guy who replaced Ling as our midfield general and in turn someone had to replace Selwood etc etc etc but now you tell me that’s not how it works?

Even some of the postulations you DID make that could be valid were off the mark: Podsiadly was a better footballer than Mooney.

That stuff aside, I actually DO agree with a lot of your other points

Favour?? lol yeah nah...
Nah.
Cheers

There is a lot there to digest but anyone who thinks we have not underachieved during the Dangerfield era is kidding themselves.

There is a lot there to digest but anyone who thinks we have not underachieved during the Dangerfield era is kidding themselves.
We achieved what the players have delivered.
Don’t be so dismissive of other teams that were simply better.
FWIW Some people I know think we underachieved from 2006-2011.
Wiw how those players didn’t win 6 flags and have a winning record of 90 odd percent is beyond them.
Go figure?

So hang on, we didn’t replace guys that left with guys that were already there. We got in draftees and recycled players to jump the queue in all those cases did we?

See I always thought it was that Selwood guy who replaced Ling as our midfield general and in turn someone had to replace Selwood etc etc etc but now you tell me that’s not how it works?

Even some of the postulations you DID make that could be valid were off the mark: Podsiadly was a better footballer than Mooney.

That stuff aside, I actually DO agree with a lot of your other points
Sorry mate… I think I had myself a great arvo on the turps whilst manning the BBQ.
might have been babbling on a tad there… lol 😂
But I hope folks get where I was coming from.
Cheers bud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We achieved what the players have delivered.
Don’t be so dismissive of other teams that were simply better.
FWIW Some people I know think we underachieved from 2006-2011.
Wiw how those players didn’t win 6 flags and have a winning record of 90 odd percent is beyond them.
Go figure?

Some people may assume we underachieved 2006-2011 but we saw 3 flags and 4 grand finals.

During Dangerfield's era, we have seen countless top four finishes and only the solitary grand final appearance which was also a shortened year favoring older teams like Geelong & Richmond.

I have a reason to be dismissive of other teams, entering so many finals against the likes of Collingwood, Sydney or Melbourne (in 2018), we were a 50/50 shot at winning those matches and we virtually looked like a team who never belonged in the top eight to begin with.
Now after 2018, I think a small majority simply expected to be embarrased come finals time because it's just what we do under this coaches tenure these days.

For once i actually DONT diametrically disagree with you as I think the positives of Rohan’s recruitment have been balanced out by the negatives however I’m always fascinated when people post figures comparing finals to regular season output as though they SHOULD be identical.

Every finals match is played against a credible opponent. Every second home and away match is not. Yes there are definitely players who actually play BETTER in big games or against good opposition but that’s the reason those players are regarded as stars: because there aren’t many of them.

Most players, especially forward of the ball, will have lesser numbers in finalists because almost as a rule, every team that makes and plays finals has at least a decent defence

This doesn’t change the fact that he has been terrible in finals but looking at match averages to work it out doesn’t add an exclamation point to the argument; it’s common sense

That's the entire point though. If his finals output is common sense, i.e. not a surprise, why - why - did we recruit him? Why bring any mature age player to the club if not to help the club win finals?

That's the entire point though. If his finals output is common sense, i.e. not a surprise, why - why - did we recruit him? Why bring any mature age player to the club if not to help the club win finals?

For the same reason anyone gets recruited. If players didn’t have weaknesses they would never be let go and if they didn’t have strengths they’d never be recruited.

It’s not hard to envisage any recruiting team especially one with a notable lack of a) speed and b) extra scoring options beyond 1-2 obvious ones, seeing a player who has speed and goal sense and saying ‘ok maybe a change of environment and teammates will allow us to utilise his assets and get exactly the output we need to fill the gaps we have.’

Every player you recruit is a gamble unless it’s Dustin Martin or Gary Ablett or someone. If they weren’t a gamble they wouldn’t be available

Some people may assume we underachieved 2006-2011 but we saw 3 flags and 4 grand finals.

During Dangerfield's era, we have seen countless top four finishes
and only the solitary grand final appearance which was also a shortened year favoring older teams like Geelong & Richmond.

I have a reason to be dismissive of other teams, entering so many finals against the likes of Collingwood, Sydney or Melbourne (in 2018), we were a 50/50 shot at winning those matches and we virtually looked like a team who never belonged in the top eight to begin with.
Now after 2018, I think a small majority simply expected to be embarrased come finals time because it's just what we do under this coaches tenure these days.

So did I. Maybe some blokes are right. 2006 should've been the beginning of a 6 year trot of Cups.
My Saints Hawks & Maggie mates think otherwise.. they all think we were over rated. Hawks think they should've had at least 6 in that era.
The Pies faithful are adamant that 3 Cups went begging. As for my Saint mate he swears they missed out on a few at least 3 from 2005-2011.
On Dangerfield. He (Danger) may have the sole reason we were in the top 4. He elevated us from a middle of the road team to a Top 4 team.??
Without him we might of been a 9th ranked team... missing the finals every year.??? who knows.
I went through the whole Gary Ablett Senior era so the catch cry of but but we got Danger... He couldn't tie Gazzas bootlaces IMO.
When we had stars like Gazza Snr Stoneham Budda Couchy Bairstow Hinkley and still come up short you get to realise.
If players don't preform at their best you come up second best.

So did I. Maybe some blokes are right. 2006 should've been the beginning of a 6 year trot of Cups.
My Saints Hawks & Maggie mates think otherwise.. they all think we were over rated. Hawks think they should've had at least 6 in that era.
The Pies faithful are adamant that 3 Cups went begging. As for my Saint mate he swears they missed out on a few at least 3 from 2005-2011.
On Dangerfield. He (Danger) may have the sole reason we were in the top 4. He elevated us from a middle of the road team to a Top 4 team.??
Without him we might of been a 9th ranked team... missing the finals every year.??? who knows.
I went through the whole Gary Ablett Senior era so the catch cry of but but we got Danger... He couldn't tie Gazzas bootlaces IMO.
When we had stars like Gazza Snr Stoneham Budda Couchy Bairstow Hinkley and still come up short you get to realise.

History revisionism going on here.
This Geelong team was dominant enough to brush aside all competitors during the H&A to secure top 4 finish after top 4 finish. But guess what Loco, finals begin and we're continually out-foxed and made to look second rate. Not the case 2-3 weeks earlier though. Why is that :huh:

You must have thought we were a good chance heading into that qualifying final against Port Adelaide at football park last year? I mean we put on a clinic against them in round 13 at the same venue and many expected a similar result. Dangerfield was subpar with 18 touches.

This Geelong team was dominant enough to brush aside all competitors during the H&A to secure top 4 finish after top 4 finish. But guess what Loco, finals begin and we're continually out-foxed and made to look second rate. Not the case 2-3 weeks earlier though. Why is that :huh:

You must have thought we were a good chance heading into that qualifying final against Port Adelaide at football park last year? I mean we put on a clinic against them in round 13 at the same venue and many expected a similar result. Dangerfield was subpar with 18 touches.

Home and away games are like NBA & MLB games to me.... all they do is get you into a certain position on the ladder. nothing more nothing less.
Too many people read too much into it.
As for that Port game... why do many expect the same?? 12 weeks had past players have either improved or gone backwards.
Just like a game of football... The ball doesn't bounce the same way every time. Just like outcomes and results.
Enjoy the game. Enjoy the club. Enjoy whatever both gives you.

Coach is only as good as his cattle but how long does one coach stay at a club? this is Scotts 12th year well even if you give him 3 more. It has to be the end then....what is the longest a coach has been at 1 club with no flag?

Home and away games are like NBA & MLB games to me.... all they do is get you into a certain position on the ladder. nothing more nothing less.
Too many people read too much into it.
As for that Port game... why do many expect the same?? 12 weeks had past players have either improved or gone backwards.
Just like a game of football... The ball doesn't bounce the same way every time. Just like outcomes and results.
Enjoy the game. Enjoy the club. Enjoy whatever both gives you.

This is where our opinions are going to have to disagree.
I can accept the bounce of the ball just not going our way on the day, but when it starts to occur consistently, there is more going on than just the bounce of the ball not going our way.

The Brisbane Lions are facing this same issue right now. They go into games favorites but are failing to get results in the finals. Is Fagan the right man for the job?
They certainly have the cattle just as we do.

I'm really amazed people (not you) even use this as an argument.

Through his entire tenure at Geelong, Dangerfield has had at least Selwood, Hawkins, and Duncan playing alongside him. Taylor was still there the first few seasons as well. The days of one player making that big a difference are long gone.

Re the bolded - i think one point that should be made here

When the siren blew to end the 2011 GF - giving the Cats 3 flags in 5 years - Geelong had an opportunity to really dominate the comp

Just won the Premiership - and had 2 beautiful unused draft picks ( in the teens ) up their sleeve for the Ablett compensation ( and by the way - far better compensation than what the Hawks got in just pick 19 for Buddy )

Wells who has done a good job and all the rest of it - if he had nailed those picks - Geel could have had an extended run of dominance - but he wasted both picks - Smedts who had the reputation of a champion schoolboy footballer - he got sucked in by that - and he overlooked that Smedts had a very awkward ball drop when kicking - that should have put the line through him - in his memory bank should have been Tenace who had the seem problem - but he overlooked that fact somehow . And Caddy - re now Parfitt that was another wasted pick - pity he didnt use it on Caddys best mate Prestia

Those 2 high totally wasted lovely draft picks - was a turning point in Geelongs history

Re the bolded - i think one point that should be made here

When the siren blew to end the 2011 GF - giving the Cats 3 flags in 5 years - Geelong had an opportunity to really dominate the comp

Just won the Premiership - and had 2 beautiful unused draft picks ( in the teens ) up their sleeve for the Ablett compensation ( and by the way - far better compensation than what the Hawks got in just pick 19 for Buddy )

Wells who has done a good job and all the rest of it - if he had nailed those picks - Geel could have had an extended run of dominance - but he wasted both picks - Smedts who had the reputation of a champion schoolboy footballer - he got sucked in by that - and he overlooked that Smedts had a very awkward ball drop when kicking - that should have put the line through him - in his memory bank should have been Tenace who had the seem problem - but he overlooked that fact somehow . And Caddy - re now Parfitt that was another wasted pick - pity he didnt use it on Caddys best mate Prestia

Those 2 high totally wasted lovely draft picks - was a turning point in Geelongs history
No-one can nail every draft. But like you, I remember thinking in 2011 that we were in a prime position to get a head-start on a rebuild. We had lots of debutants that year and many that looked the goods - Duncan, Menzel, Guthrie, Vardy, Christensen come to mind. Also, a team full of champions who were basically ready-made coaches for those young players to learn to play the right way. And like you say, 2 compensation picks for Ablett that could kick-start the next generation. We were always going to dip down the ladder with the number of retirements that were in store, but the future looked bright for say a team of largely fresh faces + Selwood and Hawkins and Taylor and 1 or 2 others in about 2017. That date sticks in my mind because we won the VFL flag in 2002 with a group made up of those that went on to AFL success together, and then again in 2012 with a similarly young vfl team. But, along with some bad luck (like Menzel's and Cowan's run of injuries), there was also a fair bit of impatience that crept in. Instead of making the development of the younger group a priority, we were targeting trades to bring in players in the age bracket we were lacking (24-27 yo) - Danger, Hendo, S.Selwood, Z.Smith all in one off season I think. Now whether or not we think those trades were thumbs up or thumbs down (there'd be a pretty strong consensus on the first two I'd say), the whole approach constituted a pretty significant change of direction for the club. I'm not sure it has been for the better.

No-one can nail every draft. But like you, I remember thinking in 2011 that we were in a prime position to get a head-start on a rebuild. We had lots of debutants that year and many that looked the goods - Duncan, Menzel, Guthrie, Vardy, Christensen come to mind. Also, a team full of champions who were basically ready-made coaches for those young players to learn to play the right way. And like you say, 2 compensation picks for Ablett that could kick-start the next generation. We were always going to dip down the ladder with the number of retirements that were in store, but the future looked bright for say a team of largely fresh faces + Selwood and Hawkins and Taylor and 1 or 2 others in about 2017. That date sticks in my mind because we won the VFL flag in 2002 with a group made up of those that went on to AFL success together, and then again in 2012 with a similarly young vfl team. But, along with some bad luck (like Menzel's and Cowan's run of injuries), there was also a fair bit of impatience that crept in. Instead of making the development of the younger group a priority, we were targeting trades to bring in players in the age bracket we were lacking (24-27 yo) - Danger, Hendo, S.Selwood, Z.Smith all in one off season I think. Now whether or not we think those trades were thumbs up or thumbs down (there'd be a pretty strong consensus on the first two I'd say), the whole approach constituted a pretty significant change of direction for the club. I'm not sure it has been for the better.

Great call. And we had plenty of young talent in that 2012 VFL team. Menzel's knees nobody could help, nor Brown's shoulders (those two had the most effect I think as both had debuted and looked immediately comfortable at senior level. Cowan became much more regarded only after having 4 years out, he never showed remotely what those two did at either level. Smedts I still think was mismanaged. He played some more than useful footy in 2012-2013, and I vividly remember in 2014 he said he needed 3-4 weeks before being fit again for senior level, then was immediately recalled. That was the 100+ point loss to Sydney. Then Scott got it in his head he was a half back flanker, which he never was. Vardy was another who just kept getting an injury at the wrong time. There's 4-5 picks straight away.

I agree, once they knew Dangerfield was coming the mindset seemed to really shift and it's stayed that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back