Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not espusing poor me or anything like that..the club has chosen their path. They may say they have been unlucky but I feel they chose to go a more reliable path and in doing so really chopped away at the chance of finding younger players. In the end .. if we look at the youth players drafted and developed under CS , its not a strong group of names.

Absolutely. I don't think it's ever really been a priority for him. I get the impression apart from his bizarre pet projects he just doesn't value it at all.

Says the bloke alleging a career coach is more preoccupied with Jon security than success because he ‘admitted’ he wants to win
Who’s jon?

And i just spent the last page saying this is his last contract. Why the hell would i be talking about job security? He won’t get another contract beyond this latest extension, so why would job security even come into it? Bizarre conclusion.

Has nothing to do with anything i said at all. He will just move onto a different job, or get a coaching gig somewhere else. He will never worry about job security, ever.

Who’s jon?

And i just spent the last page saying this is his last contract. Why the hell would i be talking about job security? He won’t get another contract beyond this latest extension, so why would job security even come into it? Bizarre conclusion.

Has nothing to do with anything i said at all. He will just move onto a different job, or get a coaching gig somewhere else. He will never worry about job security, ever.

I apologise if it was another poster who levelled the accusation that he is simply coaching to win enough games to get another contract

I apologise if it was another poster who levelled the accusation that he is simply coaching to win enough games to get another contract
Ok no worries.

In the past he may have, but i don’t see that as an issue now as he would have to know this is his last contract after all the talk about whether he has been at the club too long already.

What the hell is happening with that contract extension? 6 months on and still not signed. If he’s not going to agree on conditions it will be interesting to see what happens. Will the club pull the offer?

Once CS contract comes to a close, id love to see a former player coach.

Whether it’s Stevie J, Kelly, Enright or Scarlo, I couldn’t care, a GFC favourite son and a fresh voice could be what we need?

We actually haven't had an ex-player in charge since 1986. The last four coaches have all been from elsewhere.
I think we went away from the ex player coaches after some ( probably justified) criticism of insularity, parochialism and underwhelming results.
These days most ex players in the mix have done some stints outside the Geelong bubble so those issues are less of a potential problem I guess.
Still like the idea of a head coach from outside the club

Now that you mention it, what were the thoughts of the ‘near enough isn’t good enough’ demographic on Blight who essentially was doing the same as Scott each year only it was happening one game later?

I've posted many many times on Blight's flaws. Still think to this day he escapes criticism for some of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen.

I've posted many many times on Blight's flaws. Still think to this day he escapes criticism for some of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen.
Yep. I agree.
I reckon his ‘go the man’ start to th 89 GF was one of them. We weren't really that sort of team.
Hawks buried us in the first quarter by playing footy not biffo.
Thats why I always cringe when it gets talked about as the greatest GF or somesuch.
I just see it as the greatest lost opportunity.

If the club says "poor us, we didn't have the picks", that's bullshit, because they chose their own path. Cheered on by plenty on here. Can't have it both ways.

As your own analysis suggests, the CLUB chose the strategy to stay competitive and trade older players. Scott is the only coach (unless you believe he has omnipotent powers), the CLUB chose the path.

So by any measure, if this strategy is flawed, Scott has done an amazing job taking the Cats to finals.

This discussion is horses£$t

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Yep. I agree.
I reckon his ‘go the man’ start to th 89 GF was one of them. We weren't really that sort of team.
Hawks buried us in the first quarter by playing footy not biffo.
Thats why I always cringe when it gets talked about as the greatest GF or somesuch.
I just see it as the greatest lost opportunity.

We would have lost by 6 goals had we not played the man.
Hawthorn were simply that superior to us in every facet of the game. Only reason why we got so close was due Hawthorn injuries piling up (and God on our side).

In fact, look at our record against that mob when GOAT rocked up for us, a putrid 2-9 and our last win against them was in 1985.
That is also discounting the pre season grand final losses along the way.

1992 still remains the greatest loss in my view. We had them nearing halftime. Could have been 4-5 goal halftime lead and we let them come right back into it in the space of 3 minutes before the siren sounded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad all we need is some good quality draft picks to pick up a flag because that's worked well for GWS, Suns and Saints of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back