Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s like the last few years they will just run them into the ground, so we hit finals pre-cooked. Works well 🙄
But doing that means they're more likely to make finals, which means more contract extensions for Chris Scott. What happens when finals occur has proven inconsequential to the retention of his role.

But doing that means they're more likely to make finals, which means more contract extensions for Chris Scott. What happens when finals occur has proven inconsequential to the retention of his role.

This line is the interesting one:

We are not going to worry about being a good side in 5-6 years"

I can't wait to see how patient and tolerant everyone is going to be towards the successor when this transpires.

Soon it might be difficult to avoid the middle... the 23 to 29 range of players seem an average group. and we will be losing players quicker than we can replace them.
I expect us to be closer to the middle than the top this year as it is, our midfield depth is deeply worrying for me and the top players in there aren't at the top of their game regardless.
The drop could come swift and brutally..
We'll plug enough holes though to make sure plenty of seats are reserved in that new grand stand though and that's all the board cares about

I expect us to be closer to the middle than the top this year as it is, our midfield depth is deeply worrying for me and the top players in there aren't at the top of their game regardless.
The drop could come swift and brutally..
We'll plug enough holes though to make sure plenty of seats are reserved in that new grand stand though and that's all the board cares about

It would not surprise me.

I tend to think that success as a group revolves around have a premium group in the right age and experience ... that tends to be in that 23->30 range. It may be drifting a bit to being 30,31.. etc..but I look at our 30+ players...they are still in our best players but Im not convinced they are all still at their best. Across the leauge others are now closer to AA level than them. Guthrie is our best mid in and still at his best..but his best is not as high as what Danger and JS was. Id be more confident if Parfitt and Narkle joined Henry in our top3 in our B&F.

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 7.17.18 am.png

So the challenge for CS will be not falling into the area he calls middling, once the tank is empty. Joel probably has one year left... he is on the verge of 34 ..and he was higher than Parfitt in last year B&F.

There is no doubt CS is a very good manager... how he manages the next period when the talent is not there to refresh the side because we have not had access to the best talent will be critical.

If it’s like the last few years they will just run them into the ground, so we hit finals pre-cooked. Works well 🙄
Think Melbourne knocked us off 3 times last year - earliest was in April-round 4. ( still fit then!). It might just be possible they were better than us?
Oh, and everyone else too.

Think Melbourne knocked us off 3 times last year - earliest was in April-round 4. ( still fit then!). It might just be possible they were better than us?
Oh, and everyone else too.
Of course they were. But the other games were fairly close, while the finals was an absolute belting. How many players can you name that performed as well during the year as they did finals?

The older the players get the more they are run down come late in the season. Experience counts for nothing when half your team is 30+ and cooked come finals time.

Injuries just add to it cause it gives less opportunity to rest them during the year. Add potential games missed through covid and the chance to rest players might be even less, although you could probably count a game missed through covid as a rest. 1 game during the season isn’t enough though. Some of the older guys would really need 2-3, maybe more to stay fresh. A luxury they probably won’t have.

Been worried about that for more than a few years now…
It’s a real concern. We literally have a third, if not more, of our best 22 at retirement age.

I heard hocking say its urgent that we get a bunch of younger players to the 20 to 50 game mark now, so at least there is one guy in the room looking to the future. Whether scott will go along with that at team selection is another story. He knows this will be his last contract so he won’t give a shit what happens after that. It’s all about preserving his legacy.

1 flag in 14 years isn’t much of a legacy though. Especially when the 1 flag came in the first year. It will be a celebration of mediocrity.

He will be gone in a couple of years, so i have no doubt he’s happy to burn the clubs future because he won’t be around to have to deal with it. The result will be the same either way, no flags.

If a quicker game plan doesn’t work in the first few rounds he will go straight back to the slow defensive game style to pad his win/loss ratio. Talk about treading water and going nowhere.

Yeah because I know lots of coaches who’ve been at a club for over a decade who would actually ‘be happy to torch the club’s future’ yeah nah excellent theory I bet it’s exactly right, he even sits with a voodoo doll at home that has ‘cats 2026-onwards’ written on it. Bravo, this is top shelf profundity.

It’s a real concern. We literally have a third, if not more, of our best 22 at retirement age.

I heard hocking say its urgent that we get a bunch of younger players to the 20 to 50 game mark now, so at least there is one guy in the room looking to the future. Whether scott will go along with that at team selection is another story. He knows this will be his last contract so he won’t give a sh*t what happens after that. It’s all about preserving his legacy.

1 flag in 14 years isn’t much of a legacy though. Especially when the 1 flag came in the first year. It will be a celebration of mediocrity.

Yeah as one of 5 flag coaches in the 125 year history of its presence in the VFL AFL I think that’s exactly right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For someone who gives an air of ‘I know everything’ in just about every post you make, **** me this is dumb.

Do you think Scott wouldn’t get a well paid role somewhere else if he wasn’t coaching Geelong? Do you really think he sits around going ‘well the most important thing is that I get a contract extension, I couldn’t care less if we win trophies.’

For someone who gives an air of ‘I know everything’ in just about every post you make, fu** me this is dumb.

Do you think Scott wouldn’t get a well paid role somewhere else if he wasn’t coaching Geelong? Do you really think he sits around going ‘well the most important thing is that I get a contract extension, I couldn’t care less if we win trophies.’
The viewpoint some on here hold that the players, coaches and the board only seek finals merely to keep the cash flow going and keep reserved seat numbers high and don’t care about success is utter horseshit.

A viewpoint that lacks logical reasoning and shows just how thick some really are.

Yeah because I know lots of coaches who’ve been at a club for over a decade who would actually ‘be happy to torch the club’s future’ yeah nah excellent theory I bet it’s exactly right, he even sits with a voodoo doll at home that has ‘cats 2026-onwards’ written on it. Bravo, this is top shelf profundity.
Why would he care what happens at the club after he is gone?

He said it himself, he’s coaching for the here and now.

Unless you are calling him a liar?

So the challenge for CS will be not falling into the area he calls middling, once the tank is empty. Joel probably has one year left... he is on the verge of 34 ..and he was higher than Parfitt in last year B&F.

There is no doubt CS is a very good manager... how he manages the next period when the talent is not there to refresh the side because we have not had access to the best talent will be critical.

But also deliberately chose to trade away a lot of picks. Don't forget that.

No one put a gun to their head and forced them to bring in so many mature age players (generous) / broken down hacks (ungenerous). Some were absolutely justified, a lot weren't. But if the club says "poor us, we didn't have the picks", that's bullshit, because they chose their own path. Cheered on by plenty on here. Can't have it both ways.

Why would he care what happens at the club after he is gone?

He said it himself, he’s coaching for the here and now.

Unless you are calling him a liar?

Yes, HE is coaching for the here and now. When I go out and play cricket on a Saturday I am playing for this season and I hope the team selects players from our club to win NOW. Does that mean I don’t care what happens after I’m retired? Of f***ing course it doesn’t.

But what happens after I’ve retired is completely and utterly irrelevant to right now.

Yes, HE is coaching for the here and now. When I go out and play cricket on a Saturday I am playing for this season and I hope the team selects players from our club to win NOW. Does that mean I don’t care what happens after I’m retired? Of f***ing course it doesn’t.

But what happens after I’ve retired is completely and utterly irrelevant to right now.
Bringing minimal youth through, and continuing to play older players who can’t get the job done is burning the clubs future. Whether you like it or not.

Hocking is clearly aware of it and wants to give games to younger players. While scott is saying he’s coaching for the here and now. The messaging is quite clear who’s looking ahead, and who just wants to protect a legacy.

The ridiculous thing is he found success in 2011 by ditching older players and bringing youth in to freshen the team. Baffling why he has avoided doing much of it in the last few years.

Bringing minimal youth through, and continuing to play older players who can’t get the job done is burning the clubs future. Whether you like it or not.

Hocking is clearly aware of it and wants to give games to younger players. While scott is saying he’s coaching for the here and now. The messaging is quite clear who’s looking ahead, and who just wants to protect a legacy.

The ridiculous thing is he found success in 2011 by ditching older players and bringing youth in to freshen the team. Baffling why he has avoided doing much of it in the last few years.

Because….. drumroll please…. He is coaching for the here and now. He is trying to win.
Let’s murder him.

Of course they were. But the other games were fairly close, while the finals was an absolute belting. How many players can you name that performed as well during the year as they did finals?

The older the players get the more they are run down come late in the season. Experience counts for nothing when half your team is 30+ and cooked come finals time.

Injuries just add to it cause it gives less opportunity to rest them during the year. Add potential games missed through covid and the chance to rest players might be even less, although you could probably count a game missed through covid as a rest. 1 game during the season isn’t enough though. Some of the older guys would really need 2-3, maybe more to stay fresh. A luxury they probably won’t have.
Obviously it would be ideal if, like Melbourne, we had a team of players at the right age, and also like them, be great if we had a bunch of elite players at the height of their careers who make the difference in a game. Unfortunately we don’t have any stars at their peak now - really we only have about 1 player who is A grade.(and he’s not in the middle where we need it). We have done amazingly well to stay relevant given our deficiencies. Melbourne, I seem to recall, looked pretty likely to run away with that game in round 4. They were on another level surely? And they belted everyone in the last few weeks of the season because they were better than everyone else. They cleaned the dogs up in about 5 minutes. The best team nearly always wins the flag. It’s pretty simple. We needs some high quality, young mids. We need Petracca and Oliver basically. And Gawn would be handy! We are a good team, but that’s it. When the tough get going, we can’t. We don’t have the quality.
That doesn’t mean we shouldn‘t have done better in numerous finals over the years, and certainly Scott has made mistakes in finals series, and given most of us the s…., and I think we can question why some of our players haven’t come on more, but I think it’s pretty fair about 2021.

Last edited:
It would not surprise me.

I tend to think that success as a group revolves around have a premium group in the right age and experience ... that tends to be in that 23->30 range. It may be drifting a bit to being 30,31.. etc..but I look at our 30+ players...they are still in our best players but Im not convinced they are all still at their best. Across the leauge others are now closer to AA level than them. Guthrie is our best mid in and still at his best..but his best is not as high as what Danger and JS was. Id be more confident if Parfitt and Narkle joined Henry in our top3 in our B&F.

View attachment 1343277

Maybe 3.. 4 at most of the players on that list are at or close to their best still, the others are starting to or already well into their decline, be it form, fitness or touch... Father time doesn't wait for anyone.

The issue is their best is good enough for the side to be competitive most weeks, so they keep getting played... But then their age counts against them as they just become less effective as the year goes on and whatever we saw last year will only be worse with another year of wear and tear added to the mix.

I actually find the Chris Scott thing a real chicken or the egg scenario...
Is he a really good coach extracting the most from a mediocre side during the year and it is just exposed in September
Is he an average coach doing what is expected year on year and not good enough to step up in September

People will come out and say "the coach doesn't miss the targets etc etc" but our manner of losing these big games has been the same year in year out and at some point the coach either gets the blame for the game plan not standing up or not preparing the players well enough for it to stand up..

Also I don't actually know which category Scott falls into, but I suspect he squeezes the most out of us during the year and we simply aren't good enough

But also deliberately chose to trade away a lot of picks. Don't forget that.

No one put a gun to their head and forced them to bring in so many mature age players (generous) / broken down hacks (ungenerous). Some were absolutely justified, a lot weren't. But if the club says "poor us, we didn't have the picks", that's bullshit, because they chose their own path. Cheered on by plenty on here. Can't have it both ways.

I think we both want to bring in youth. My issue (opinion) is not be able get access to the best talent. I believe you feel if we have enough picks we will find the talent. You may be right .. we have found plenty of talent with pick all over the place... but I still feel without access to premium talent we will never be able to rebuild to the level we hope to achieve. I guess one would have to look at how many picks in the draft we have had in the period where we have trade away picks... roughly in the Danger era.

Im not espusing poor me or anything like that..the club has chosen their path. They may say they have been unlucky but I feel they chose to go a more reliable path and in doing so really chopped away at the chance of finding younger players. In the end .. if we look at the youth players drafted and developed under CS , its not a strong group of names.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back