Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last 6 years we have made 5 prelims and a GF. Might have been even money against Sydney- were the underdog in all the rest I’d have thought.
Opposition supporters who laugh at that sound like duffers to me.

Not against Richmond in 2017. We'd beaten them a few weeks earlier. And finished higher than them on the ladder.
Nor against Richmond in 2019. We finished the home and away season on top.

Rightio -so 17 teams have to fail every year. At least we give ourselves a pretty good chance not to ‘fail’. A better chance than most clubs by the looks.
And so what from mooney?
Exactly. 17 will fail annually.

For members of those 17 clubs it is mere entertainment for 2 hours without tangible success, if the cats can provide entertainment then my membership fee to them will be considered well spent.

Not against Richmond in 2017. We'd beaten them a few weeks earlier. And finished higher than them on the ladder.
2017 QF odds were close. $1.78 to the Tigers $2.03 average (9 bookies)

2019 PF we were rank outsiders.

Happy to disagree. Richmond were better than us in 2019. We both had 16 wins.
2017 we played Adelaide in the prelim, in Adelaide. They finished top of the ladder. We played Richmond in an earlier final- think they were favourites. We both won 15 games. We had beaten them in Geelong on our home ground. They beat us at the g on their home ground.

I think there is an ingrained fear that if we spend a few seasons in limbo that supporters will drop off. The corporates at the helm fear this, and it is a fallacy that they have perpetuated in recent times.
I see it as an insult to the supporters who are just perceived as consumers who jump from product to product on a whim.
I think for some reason the mandarins in charge saw Geelong as particularly vulnerable financially to a dip in fortunes and hence the ‘always contending’ mantra, which we have slavishly followed for many years under Scott. How much he has been responsible for this approach is moot. The reality is that we will have to pay the piper at some point.

In the last 6 years we have made 5 prelims and a GF. Might have been even money against Sydney- were the underdog in all the rest I’d have thought.
Opposition supporters who laugh at that sound like duffers to me.

Only PF we were favourites was the Swans 2016.

Given that they were a 13 goal better team the Dogs a week later, and that they eased up on us, I think they actually were.
So why were they not at Geelong? Surely KP does not make that much difference.

We got our pants pulled down that night.

Yeah, usually QF losers go into PFs as underdogs, because rarely do they win them.

How about those QF odds?

By 1/4 time we weren’t favorites any longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The application of the "loser club" tag to me just smacks of arrogance and complete ignorance of footy history. It wasn't that long ago Richmond and Melbourne would definitely have been defined on this board as "loser clubs". Which is in itself fascinating - prior to 2017 Richmond had won 10 flags to our 9, and Melbourne 12 to our 9. Losers how exactly?

Sport is cyclical. Always has been and always will be. Everyone has down periods, and if you manage things well, you'll have moments near (or at) the top. Pretending that my club will never make mistakes to me is severely misguided. All clubs are run infinitely better than they were decades ago. But as long as they've got humans running them they're all capable of making absolute howlers. And every year they still do.

Your final point is spot on, going to be fascinating to see how tolerant and patient fans will be of the new coach when we're 11th. I wonder if he'll manage to escape all blame the way Scott has.
It's one of those things where those (such as myself) who believe that the players have the most accountability in games, will also have to accept this (as I will) when we are in tough times too.

It's one of those things where those (such as myself) who believe that the players have the most accountability in games, will also have to accept this (as I will) when we are in tough times too.

To me it's a combination. You need everything - good coaching, good recruiting, good player management, and ultimately, good players.

Wonder what role he played in the team selection tonight?

Someone somewhere has overridden all the pre-season blurb about youth and a new gameplan......
Would literally only have made one change to this team. Dahl for Stephens.
Not sure what people are expecting, we aren't going to blood 5-6 kids at once, we are actually trying to win football games.

Would literally only have made one change to this team. Dahl for Stephens.
Not sure what people are expecting, we aren't going to blood 5-6 kids at once, we are actually trying to win football games.

I doubt anyone was looking for that many changes, but I've no doubt that Dahl and Higgins running around in the orange vests the other night raised hopes we'd see a couple of kids given their chance.

Bith thise guys are cooked, yet they're still gifted game time. The powers that be just don't have the courage and daring to try something different.

It's rinse and repeat sadly.

I doubt anyone was looking for that many changes, but I've no doubt that Dahl and Higgins running around in the orange vests the other night raised hopes we'd see a couple of kids given their chance.

Bith thise guys are cooked, yet they're still gifted game time. The powers that be just don't have the courage and daring to try something different.

It's rinse and repeat sadly.
higgins was good in pre-season. Why does demands of selection integrity only apply when young players do well (Constable etc)?

I agree on Dahlhaus. Turgid player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back