Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why not go into 2022 under the current contract, assess how he is going then make a call on if there is an extension or not?

While I agreed with this idea until a couple of months ago, I also understand the simple premise behind why the club would want to lock him away now

- there's a few clubs with senior coaches out of contract, and would think that the GFC wants Scott locked away to limit the chances of being poached by an opposition club

- the club has undergone a period of change over this past 12 months with a new CEO, new president and changing out half our assistant coaches. Stability with the senior coach is probably seen a positive during this period

Scott is in the top handful of coaches in the comp and has been for a decade. I am very happy he will be at the helm over the next three years as our list will undergo significant transition.

I am also very pleased that we are revamping our coaching panel which had no doubt become extremely stale and in some cases ie the Scarlett rumours, counter-productive to creating a happy and cohesive team.

You only need to look at the likes of Bomber and Hardwick to see that significant off-field change while keeping faith in the senior coach can reap huge rewards. I'm not saying we'll win the flag in 2022 but I am more confident that new voices will freshen things up and have a positive impact.

I hope that behind closed doors, the following are being considered:

* requirement to play at least 4 players under 50 games / under 21-22 years of age in the seniors each week. I think Scott had a similar requirement in his early days. Pumping games into Duncan and Guthrie paid off in terms of them becoming very good players and also prevented them from being poached after a few years in the system due to a lack of gametime.
* identify a number of good prospects on the list ie Stephens, De Koning and play them for a minimum of 5+ games next year, obviously more if form warrants it.
* all players over the age of 30 to be rested for a minimum of 1-2 games during the season. This gives more gametime to younger players and gives our senior players a better chance of being fit and ready if we are to do anything in finals.
* no more Misfits, Wolfpack etc. I get how this allowed line coaches and players to bond but from the outside it seems it all become quite divisive. The stories about Scarlett refusing to play Clark in the backline are appalling.
* some serious sports psychology. I've posted before about how relaxed all the Demons players were in the media in the lead up to the prelim. Danger and Selwood seem to play with the weight of the world on their shoulders. Too much internal pressure, or letting the external noise get to them. Look at how Richmond and now Melbourne have gone about it to create a sense of fun for their players, and try to replicate it.

The difference with Bomber and Hardwick, is that they had both been in the job for 8 years, and then won a flag in their 9th. Scott has been at the helm for a decade and will be going for a flag with 'his' team on his 11 year.

Given the calibre of team's above us on Bulldogs and Demons for example, we just don't have the talent to keep pushing on in the same way and hoping for a different result.

You can't put this all on the line coaches, as all this 'misfits' and 'wolfpack' crap was overseen by Scott. As was Scarlett's attitude towards Clark.

At what point will you guys consider it 'enough' is what I'm really confused about? He's a big part of the issues we've had, and we need clear air now more than ever. What happens if we employ the same stagnant ball movement, the same selection of our 22 and the same internal attitude towards our youth? Will that be enough to say that he needs to move on for someone fresh then?

It'll have been 14 years that he'll have been our coach come end of 2024...how long is too long before we change something and realize we need a different person steering the ship?

He's up there with the best during the H & A season, but falls away badly come finals.

It's the chicken or the egg scenario.... has it been Scott's excellent coaching/gameplan that had us 3 goals up at HT in a prelim and then a GF against Richmond? Or Scott's poor coaching/gameplan that saw us overrun in both games?

It's the chicken or the egg scenario.... has it been Scott's excellent coaching/gameplan that had us 3 goals up at HT in a prelim and then a GF against Richmond? Or Scott's poor coaching/gameplan that saw us overrun in both games?

Agreed.....but if he's to be lauded for his good H & A record he also has to wear the criticism for such a poor finals record.

Came in for the melts, not disappointed so far.

Seems no one here likes to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

For all we know, Chris had to present his plan for the future no different to any coach trying to get a gig - and the club have liked his new ideas that have come at the same time as our existing assistant coaches departed.

We are all so quick to jump to the negative on this forum it's astounding at times.

I'm not Chris Scott's biggest fan but given what I've been seeing happen surrounding GFC at the moment I am keeping an optimistic idea about the next 3 years.

Came in for the melts, not disappointed so far.

Seems no one here likes to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

For all we know, Chris had to present his plan for the future no different to any coach trying to get a gig - and the club have liked his new ideas that have come at the same time as our existing assistant coaches departed.

We are all so quick to jump to the negative on this forum it's astounding at times.

I'm not Chris Scott's biggest fan but given what I've been seeing happen surrounding GFC at the moment I am keeping an optimistic idea about the next 3 years.

‘jump to the negative’? He has been there for 11 freaking years. I’m glad that you are enjoying seeing how devastating this news is for other geelong fans though.

Yes but you all act as though people aren't capable of change.

I see things differently, obviously.

I'm not claiming he will achieve anything - but you'll all have egg on your face if we win a premiership within the next 3 years.

It is sort of like Stanley really isn't.

It would be good to change then you look at the options.

Who'd be the last 10 or so appointments.

Voss, McRae, Mitchell, Ratten, Rutten, Nicks, Nobel, Teague, Shaw, Longmuir, Dew.

How many are you taking ahead of Scott? Mitchell wasn't available to the open market. Longmuir and Nobel look like they have their shit together but way too soon to know for sure, they can just set up their defensive structures at the moment and play the kids with no expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Hocking will regret extending Scott. Quite apart from his stubborn game style; recruitment and selection ideas, I don't think decade plus tenure is a good idea and CS is about to start his 12th season.

nervous-kenneth-parcell.gif

It is sort of like Stanley really isn't.

It would be good to change then you look at the options.

Who'd be the last 10 or so appointments.

Voss, McRae, Mitchell, Ratten, Rutten, Nicks, Nobel, Teague, Shaw, Longmuir, Dew.

How many are you taking ahead of Scott? Mitchell wasn't available to the open market. Longmuir and Nobel look like they have their sh*t together but way too soon to know for sure, they can just set up their defensive structures at the moment and play the kids with no expectations.

It is...... When it's good, it's good, and when it's bad, it's terrible.

I'm not claiming he will achieve anything - but you'll all have egg on your face if we win a prem

I'm not claiming he will achieve anything - but you'll all have egg on your face if we win a premiership within the next 3 years.

i don’t see why. People have been calling for change for 5 or 6 years now, and nothing substantial has changed (including the results which are almost creepily similar year after year after year). If scott changes the game plan and we suddenly win a flag that would be terrific, but there is nothing that has happened over the lifespan of this team with Scott in charge (which has been built, hit its prime and is now ancient again) that suggests that will happen. That is the issue.

The difference with Bomber and Hardwick, is that they had both been in the job for 8 years, and then won a flag in their 9th. Scott has been at the helm for a decade and will be going for a flag with 'his' team on his 11 year.
Also the massive age difference between those lists and ours currently, their core group of players were on the cusp at that point, ours are also on the cusp - of being sent to a dementia ward!

i don’t see why. People have been calling for change for 5 or 6 years now, and nothing substantial has changed (including the results which are almost creepily similar year after year after year). If scott changes the game plan and we suddenly win a flag that would be terrific, but there is nothing that has happened over the lifespan of this team with Scott in charge (which has been built, hit its prime and is now ancient again) that suggests that will happen. That is the issue.

The generous population of BigFooty can call for all they want but unfortunately it doesn't relate to what happens inside a footy club.

If the club is now calling for change and Chris has to answer to that then yes, there will be change.

And please, when we say adios to the CEO and President and welcome replacements, there actually is things happening that suggest change is afoot.

But of course, we want to overlook these things just because we're shitty about Chris being re-signed.

The generous population of BigFooty can call for all they want but unfortunately it doesn't relate to what happens inside a footy club.

If the club is now calling for change and Chris has to answer to that then yes, there will be change.

And please, when we say adios to the CEO and President and welcome replacements, there actually is things happening that suggest change is afoot.

But of course, we want to overlook these things just because we're shitty about Chris being re-signed.

The biggest, most important change to be had is in Scott's approach and the gameplan he decides to employ.

Whether he changes any of that, or not, remains to be seen.

yes I f#cking hate it. Go enjoy that somewhere.

Trade Radio saying there was 'friction' between Scarlett & Enright vs Scott over the Cats 2021 game style. Think it was Rendell and Barrett.

And what is the implication of this?

Scott wasn't happy with how things were going or vice versa?

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back