AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

330400443_910385053424810_7316706197258709459_n.jpg
How he make the ball float like that ?

Hey there stats lovers!
does anyone have skills and access to summarise 2MP form 2020 when he didn't play a single AFL game?
I'm keen to see games played in the 2nd team, games as reserve for the AFL side (IIRC it was something like 8 games)
then average kicks, marks and total goals

Hey there stats lovers!
does anyone have skills and access to summarise 2MP form 2020 when he didn't play a single AFL game?
I'm keen to see games played in the 2nd team, games as reserve for the AFL side (IIRC it was something like 8 games)
then average kicks, marks and total goals
Afaik there is zero data available because there was no formal fixture, league or competitor for the seconds that year. NEAFL was cancelled. Just scratch games with players playing in the wrong jumpers or two teams combining to face one opponent depending on numbers.

Best chance you have is probably training reports on the club websites which might mention a stat here or there, but the Gold Coast FC website doesn’t have anything like that for 2020 that I can find, so you’d have to look him up and see if the opposition mentioned him in their write up.

Afaik there is zero data available because there was no formal fixture, league or competitor for the seconds that year. NEAFL was cancelled. Just scratch games with players playing in the wrong jumpers or two teams combining to face one opponent depending on numbers.

Best chance you have is probably training reports on the club websites which might mention a stat here or there, but the Gold Coast FC website doesn’t have anything like that for 2020 that I can find, so you’d have to look him up and see if the opposition mentioned him in their write up.
On the money. The only info to be found would be in any reports on scratch matches floating around out there somewhere.

thanks for Looking and confirming Lore and ant555
So Pete really has come from a long way back, to be a B&F in a second season after playing 0 AFL games, traded for an uneaten packet of twisties....

Dew didn't play him for <reasons> that appear to have little to nothing to do with football. His performances in 2021 were pretty much aligned with what he'd done at GCS from memory, where he was a good RUC / FWD. 2022 was definitely a jump forward though, but more a FWD only with minimal ruck minutes.

Dew didn't play him for <reasons> that appear to have little to nothing to do with football. His performances in 2021 were pretty much aligned with what he'd done at GCS from memory, where he was a good RUC / FWD. 2022 was definitely a jump forward though, but more a FWD only with minimal ruck minutes.
I thought he didn't play him because they put all their eggs in the King basket and preferred Day as the back up ruck/forward.

Which to be fair 2MP ruck work isn't fantastic.

I thought he didn't play him because they put all their eggs in the King basket and preferred Day as the back up ruck/forward.

Which to be fair 2MP ruck work isn't fantastic.

From memory, Dew seemed to prefer Day despite nothing about his performances putting him ahead of Wright as a tall to play alongside King.

Looked it up:

2019 Wright averaged 12 disposals, 5 marks, 1.2 goals, 1.5 tackles and 6.8 hitouts
2019 Day averaged 11.6 disposals, 5 marks, 1.1 goals, 2.1 tackles and 4.4 hitouts

2020 Wright plays zero games, Day plays 17. Dew does seem to play favourites a bit where guys simply don't get games for no particular reason behind someone else.

FWIW 2021 Wright averaged 11.7, 4.2, 1.4, 1.8 & 9.8 so pretty much continuing on from his GCS form, with 2022 being a big jump in goals but a drop in hitouts since he played mostly out of FF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have an example?

Woosha had a fair few, mainly the older guys. Baguley, Myers, Zaharakis

Truck liked trotting out the line ‘we’re not going to put up with those sorta of efforts’ - and then played the same 22 the week after. Ham was his big one. Cutler another. Heppell (though as captain, I can understand that one). Phillips also playing 10 games to Bryan’s 5 for a team in 15th spot is pretty uninspiring

I'm not worried about Wright in the slightest. He didn't set the world alight in the preseason last year either and that worked out fine.
As long as he's fit and getting to the right positions the clunking will come.
Honestly in the season proper he will be marking those uncontested with ease.

I'm not worried about Wright in the slightest. He didn't set the world alight in the preseason last year either and that worked out fine.
As long as he's fit and getting to the right positions the clunking will come.
Honestly in the season proper he will be marking those uncontested with ease.
Or more likely he will be marking enough of them to kick 60 while also dropping the other 40 that would have got him 80 or 90 goals

He could be a deadset freak if he marked most things he gets two hands to. I have been hoping Cloke might have an impact on his non-sticky hands.

Or more likely he will be marking enough of them to kick 60 while also dropping the other 40 that would have got him 80 or 90 goals

He could be a deadset freak if he marked most things he gets two hands to. I have been hoping Cloke might have an impact on his non-sticky hands.

Maybe Trav can hook him up with a glove

Ayrton Wooley has given us another contender for longest article ever posted on the Essendon website;

An interesting quote as relates to Peter Wright:

Of course, it’s easier during the summer when there’s so much optimism ahead of a new season, under a new regime.

But with a practice match against Gold Coast looming, there’s still an edge about the work being done behind-the-scenes. By 8am, Dyson Heppell and Peter Wright are already seated at the players’ desks in the football department.

The coaches’ offices – including Scott’s – surround a lounge area and rows of computers that look more like your standard work office than the heart of a football club.

Wright, meanwhile, is studying the last time he played against his old club, the SUNS.

“They’ll be different with the way they defend, but I just like to be as prepared as possible,” Wright says.

“It’s about how I can get an advantage. I want to go out there and apply some things that I can apply in-season.”

It’s that attention to detail that helped propel Wright to his Crichton Medal-winning season at Tullamarine, with forwards coach Dale Tapping even going as far as to compare his meticulous preparation to the likes of Scott Pendlebury or Lachie Neale.

“I’ve worked with those guys at Collingwood and Brisbane… and Pete’s right up there with them. He’s a real pro,” Tapping declares.

The more-senior players have this personal time after being granted what fitness boss Sean Murphy describes as a “sleep in”. Their first official commitment is a 9.30am team meeting.

Learnings

I really came to hate this guy by the end. Really took the piss I reckon.
I hated him with a passion when he played at west coast. Was happy when he was appointed our coach because I thought he would bring a hard edged, no nonsense approach. How wrong was I, all he did was top up his superannuation and set us up for an era of mediocrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #20: Peter Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back