20 year Pokies licenses for 5 AFL Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda only operating machines at their social club is interesting. In some ways that's even sadder but I also think at least you know where the money is going there.

Richmond sound keen to get out, hopefully they can move faster.

Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton making huge amounts of money from huge pokie barns in poor suburbs is terrible. The Hawks statement is laughable.

Who wins and who loses is random but the machines are 100% rigged to pay out less than you put in. Over time they can not lose, hence the revenue made from them.
Saying it is rigged to pay out less is misleading, it is random with the edge in the favour of the house, no different to roulette or tossing a coin. If you are specifically singling out electronic machines as rigged in contrast to a manual game like roulette then you don't understand probability and randomness.

As long as Jeff is president then we’ll have pokies if there isn’t another secure source of income.

He’s a business man + we have to find Dingley which is very costly ($120 Mil).

I’d like us to be Pokies free but I don’t see it happening all that soon.

**** me it's the same old shit from the same few people. Dont talk down about anything my club does, what about them, bla bla bla...

And to all you all that dont like Pokies, do you shop at Australias biggest owner of pokies, Woolworths. Woolies made $2b from pokies alone in 2017, and what about their alcohol sales, OMG DGMS!!!

To steal a line from tha 50 cent coin, Get rich or die trying!

Richmond is still in the early stages of setting up its Aligned Leisure group.
It needs the pokies money as AL is not financially stable.
The Aligned Leisure group made 8,639,721 but it's expenses was 9,622,630.
It's still needs a few more years.
Alligned Leisure is being run by a few blokes that ran a similar business for another organisation that was never really financially stable.

It is a great idea from a marketing, brand exposure point of view but not from a profit perspective

Probably in the minority but I dont have an issue with clubs having pokies linked revenue. It's a legal activity and while some pokies users have gambling addictions some alcohol users suffer from alcoholism but we are perfectly happy for alcohol companies to sponsor.

Same could be said for Crownbet the official betting partner of the AFL.

I dont like odds as part of broadcasts though.

I'm with you.

Don't get the "scourge on society" line some roll out. Pokies are simply a tool. Addiction is the scourge. Should we ban pint glasses because alcohol is problematic? No. People will just buy bottles.

I immensely distrust pokies but that's another matter. If I'm gambling I prefer to use methods either using a human dealer or a fixed outcome of a sporting match/race. It's a personal choice and I believe it should remain that way

I will be dissapointed if the Hawks take pokies revenue in 5 years time.

I am giving them time to find alternative revenue streams. I doubt the club has a 20 year pokies plan.

I'd rather clubs dope tbh. If they need more money to subsidize the games lack of appeal to wider audiences they should just make the players better/more watchable. It's better than destroying lives and triggering domestic violence against women

Yeah. Those things didnt exist before poker machines. And dont exist in areas with no poker machines.

Of course we should ban things which are no issue for the majority, because a minority cant control themselves.

Yeah. Those things didnt exist before poker machines. And dont exist in areas with no poker machines.

Of course we should ban things which are no issue for the majority, because a minority cant control themselves.

The machines are not designed for the self-controlled casual user. chucking in a few dollars while waiting for their meal to be served. The profit generated from them is from the addicted user. The machines and the venues are designed for people to sit for long hours, spending large amounts, without any inbuilt protections. If they were thus regulated, they would lose their cash cow status. Plus, it is the vulnerable who fall victim... people perhaps weaker than you, such as the elderly. I am sure you wouldn't mind a world without pokies after talking to a young kid who has no place to live, or a grandmother whose life's story has become tragedy. I don't feel my life would be less interesting without the option of pokies.

[edit: it is not just "vulnerable" or "weaker" people who become addicts. Those terms can be loaded, and who can judge anyway?. Moreover, addiction knows no class, age, gender, race etc].

Last edited:
I hate the idea of pokies but if I'm honest with myself and this Is the kicker I'd take advantage of the unfortunate every single time to fill my pocket.

The idea that a hub of the community can do the same and preach welfare/unity/culture and all that other shit is beyond laughable. But hey AFL and hypocrisy tend to be the norm.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying it is rigged to pay out less is misleading, it is random with the edge in the favour of the house, no different to roulette or tossing a coin. If you are specifically singling out electronic machines as rigged in contrast to a manual game like roulette then you don't understand probability and randomness.
That is the definition of rigged. Roulette is completely random and cant be controlled by the house and a coin toss is a literal 50/50. These machines are coded and designed to make the house serious money

The machines are not designed for the self-controlled casual user. chucking in a few dollars while waiting for their meal to be served.

Neither is alcohol. Or tobacco. Or caffeine for that matter. They are all highly addictive and there are people who are incapable of controlling themselves. But do we ban it because of the minority?

We could throw in social media too, I guess.

Who are we to decide how all adults should live their lives?

You dont get how Roulette works then.
What? are they using magnets or somehting to hit exact numbers that arent being bet on? How do you control extreme variables like the different speeds they spin the wheel, how quick the ball is being rolled and how much the ball bounces on the way down, especially the bounce. How is that similar to a coded software program specifically designed for the house to take money?

I'd rather clubs dope tbh. If they need more money to subsidize the games lack of appeal to wider audiences they should just make the players better/more watchable. It's better than destroying lives and triggering domestic violence against women
I thought the game was more watchable before the players became supremely fit, tbh.

Disappointed with this news. I was really hoping Richmond would get rid of any association with pokies and now we have news coming through about a 20 year licence. As someone mentioned before, why do the bigger clubs have this arrangement when some of the "smaller" clubs do not? I really don't see an excuse other than being greedy.

Lol, spot the pokie player. They are programmed to pay out anywhere from 60-80 cents for every dollar put in on average so yes, while every game is 'random' they are programmed to make you lose.

What? are they using magnets or somehting to hit exact numbers that arent being bet on? How do you control extreme variables like the different speeds they spin the wheel, how quick the ball is being rolled and how much the ball bounces on the way down, especially the bounce. How is that similar to a coded software program specifically designed for the house to take money?

The payout odds total less than the total of the numbers, so in the long run they will always win.

Always.

Just like poker machines are designed to pay out less than they bring in over the long run.

Pokies arent designed to take a specific amount of money. They have a certain number of outcomes and a certain probability of those outcomes happening randomly. Exactly like roulette or blackjack. They dont play catchup.

Remove this Banner Ad

20 year Pokies licenses for 5 AFL Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back