2006 Fixture discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2006 Fixture is here

KingyOrTheKing said:
Happy with the draw. We have had far worse. We play coll & ess friday night, we player sydney and brissie at home, and most importantly, a game in Tasmania. All I'm hoping for is that 9 dont want us on the sunday 4pm time slot so it will be live on FFC.

It is understandable getting a lot of sunday games when we were finishing in 10th spot and our numbers were low.

We finished 5th this year, we were relatively high at round 15 when the draw is formed and our crowd numbers have been much stronger this year on games OUTSIDE of Sunday.

If the club had any balls it would take this to court and say this is blatantly restraint of trade. How are we meant to get the same kind of marketing, membership and sponsorship with this consistant horse-crap biased scheduling.

Look at the shockers in the bottom 4 this year getting better quality scheduling. I dont care who we play or where, it is WHEN we play them that makes me angry.

How are we meant to turn over $20 million on that kind of schedule? We never will, no club would.

I wonder how much C9 had a say over the fixture... at any rate I can't see us being worse off with C7. As Tas says the AFL are somewhat covertly giving us the major shafting of a lifetime playing so many Sunday games. Sundays are proven to be more expensive, less exposure and less attendance than other times.

I say it every year, but give us our freakin Friday night games back! :mad:

utility said:
I wonder how much C9 had a say over the fixture... at any rate I can't see us being worse off with C7. As Tas says the AFL are somewhat covertly giving us the major shafting of a lifetime playing so many Sunday games. Sundays are proven to be more expensive, less exposure and less attendance than other times.

I say it every year, but give us our freakin Friday night games back! :mad:

They are not going to give them to us, we need to fight for them back. Time to shove off Aylett, bring in Duff and his mission should be to get fight for our rights.

AFL bulldoze Waverely and they hand out millions to St Kilda and Hawthorn. Carlton moves from OO to TD and the AFL gives them millions of dollars.

We spend 20 years making Friday night the BEST night to play football after a lot of unprofitable years marketing it and not only do we get nothing, we get shafted with this Sunday crap.

I avoided reading this thread because I knew what would be here, whingeing, and what do I find, whinge, whinge, whinge, anyone want a tissue?

Tas said:
8 Sunday home games.

AFL better increase our CBF payment to $2 million, we will never become financially independant with these second rate draws.

so much for our friday nights and saturday night / day home games, not impressed either i hope its not what we asked for,

jozeph said:
I avoided reading this thread because I knew what would be here, whingeing, and what do I find, whinge, whinge, whinge, anyone want a tissue?

you obviously dont work on sunday, and if you do dont go to games

:rolleyes:

mighty mick said:
you obviously dont work on sunday, and if you do dont go to games

:rolleyes:
I miss the first 3rd of the season due to work, after that I try to get to as many games as possible, sunday suits me as I can take the monday off to drive home.

jozeph said:
I miss the first 3rd of the season due to work, after that I try to get to as many games as possible, sunday suits me as I can take the monday off to drive home.

Mate, can't question your commitment. Driving from Adelaide to watch the boys play. :thumbsu:

With work commitments and a young family, Sunday also suits me - though I do miss the days of winning on Friday night and gloating all weekend. ;)

I don't live in Adelaide I live about half way between Melbourne and Adelaide.

Tas said:
They are not going to give them to us, we need to fight for them back. Time to shove off Aylett, bring in Duff and his mission should be to get fight for our rights.

AFL bulldoze Waverely and they hand out millions to St Kilda and Hawthorn. Carlton moves from OO to TD and the AFL gives them millions of dollars.

We spend 20 years making Friday night the BEST night to play football after a lot of unprofitable years marketing it and not only do we get nothing, we get shafted with this Sunday crap.

What's worse Tas, is that we'll spend the next 20 years making Sunday's the best bloody day for footy going around and guess what? We'll get shafted to another day, and so the North Melbourne expirement continues. I don't want to blow our trumpet, but how many things have we got off the ground for the AFL, only to get the big one right up the ginger!

A lot of people here in Canberra are happy. The two Grand-Finalists and another top 8 team. Good quality matches will guarantee local support and will guarantee future ACT government support. Money in the Bank for North Melbourne. I've already spoken 20 people at work who have said they will purchase a Canberra Membership for next season. Hope they stick to their word, love to see a few Magpie supporters wearing Kangaroo caps next season. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DEVO said:
A lot of people here in Canberra are happy. The two Grand-Finalists and another top 8 team. Good quality matches will guarantee local support and will guarantee future ACT government support. Money in the Bank for North Melbourne. I've already spoken 20 people at work who have said they will purchase a Canberra Membership for next season. Hope they stick to their word, love to see a few Magpie supporters wearing Kangaroo caps next season. :)
Positives everywhere.

Shagga#6 said:
Abso-f@cken-lutly

This shyts me to tears. Sunday is the death spot on the AFL fixture, and we get shafted there fixture after fixture.

Added to that (from a personal complaint POV) I play soccer on Sundays and struggle to both play and the get the game.

Had to get a crap load of game this year taped on Foxtel.

NOT HAPPY! :mad:

Yes. Can't believe the AFL didn't consult you about your Sunday soccer fixture. What a disgrace! :rolleyes:

Anyone else got issues? Maybe too many clashes with people's regular timing for bowel movements that you want to complain about?

The draw has some positives, some negatives and at the end of the day, we just need to get on with it. While I agree that we've been pretty unfairly done by in the bigger picture of having pioneered Friday night footy and then seeing it get handed over to other teams, the current draw sees us playing a lot of Sundays largely because we want to play in Canberra. That's something we would have quite rightly requested. It's a venture which sees us earn a lot more money than we would by pulling 20,000 people to a Friday night game in Melbourne against Port or some other such team.

Anyway, at least you'll get to see them play live this year. I might not, given no game in Brisbane, but so be it. I'd rather have the team in existence and not playing where it's convenient for me, than not be in existence at all.

DEVO said:

Hold them to it, DEVO!! :thumbsu:

RooVegas said:
Yes. .

Anyway, at least you'll get to see them play live this year. I might not, given no game in Brisbane, but so be it. I'd rather have the team in existence and not playing where it's convenient for me, than not be in existence at all.

geez one away game vs about 7 home games on sunday that i cant get to because of work, yes ill have a whinge about it cos i fork out a lot of good money for my membership and we get shafted from saturday/ friday night games.

Hotel 6 said:
There are plenty of reasons why this is a good match as far as the rivalry round is concerned. 3 Grand Finals in 4 years in the 70's. Both joined the league at the same time. The wood that the Hawks had on us, until the Carey era that was smashed when we finally beat them in 1993 on a Friday night. A much better fit that the Saints were this year.
IMO I consider Essendon to be bastards, so IMO our Rivalry is with Essendon, but apparently from what I have heard North made a very professional case to the AFL to play us, so we now play Essendon in the week before hand.

Should make for a good day.

We play 3 FNF games in Melbourne and 5 Saturday Night games and its ********, I much perfer Saturday arvo

Tas said:
8 Sunday home games.

AFL better increase our CBF payment to $2 million, we will never become financially independant with these second rate draws.
I agree. I think we play 4-5 home Sunday afternoon games...and we have won 9 of our last 50 games and it doesnt look like it's going to change. The AFL is screwed up, people would much rather see a team like North play on the TV then watch another team get flogged. Its time the AFL do something about this, I thought they were rewarding on field success, North dont get rewarded for the competitiveness the club shows IMO both on and off the field and it angers me alot!!!!

Tas said:
It is understandable getting a lot of sunday games when we were finishing in 10th spot and our numbers were low.

We finished 5th this year, we were relatively high at round 15 when the draw is formed and our crowd numbers have been much stronger this year on games OUTSIDE of Sunday.

If the club had any balls it would take this to court and say this is blatantly restraint of trade. How are we meant to get the same kind of marketing, membership and sponsorship with this consistant horse-crap biased scheduling.

Look at the shockers in the bottom 4 this year getting better quality scheduling. I dont care who we play or where, it is WHEN we play them that makes me angry.

How are we meant to turn over $20 million on that kind of schedule? We never will, no club would.
I agree.

RooVegas said:
Yes. Can't believe the AFL didn't consult you about your Sunday soccer fixture. What a disgrace! :rolleyes:

Anyone else got issues? Maybe too many clashes with people's regular timing for bowel movements that you want to complain about?

Hey RooVegas, did you miss the part in my post that said "from a personal complaint POV", and the fact that before that I had stated that my primary objection about Sunday games is that it is the LEAST marketable slot for football, Friday and Sat nights and Sat days are far more attractive for crowds and corporates.

Without the TV exposure in prime time we will strggle to continue to hold major sponsors - hence why Carlton moved from OO, no tv exposure.

That's the major reason I'm cranky about the Sunday death spot - I would rather see my team survive, and to do that, we need to earn more. Prime time exposure eqauls more money. And I think every Roo fans and person with infulence should be making noise about it. We've played some fantastic football over the past 3 years, finsihed in teh top 8 this year, we should be rewarded with better fixturing.

If we don't continue to hound the AFL, they will continue to ignore us.

Re the Sunday and Canberra connection, we only play 3 games in Canberra, so that's not what I'm talking about. It the series of both home and away games we play in Melbourne on Sudnay, which have nothing to do with Canberra. I know for a fact the club requested fewer Sunday games.

mighty mick said:
geez one away game vs about 7 home games on sunday that i cant get to because of work, yes ill have a whinge about it cos i fork out a lot of good money for my membership and we get shafted from saturday/ friday night games.

Do more people work Sunday than Saturday?

I'm a parent and self-employed so (violins please) I work every day. Sunday is the easiest day for me to go with my child and/or partner. I'd have guessed offhand that more members would have Saturday home/family commitments than Sunday work commitments.

I don't really see why Sundays shouldn't be the best for gate receipts, and a perfectly good day for FTA TV if the matchup is interesting. The bigger problem is corporate bucks but there's a creative way around everything.

I guess while most of us judge the draw in terms of personal appeal/convenience, we'd generally be looking for balance so there's something to suit everyone - players, coaching panel, members, sponsors, marketing, administration. Often - like the Manuka games - there are conflicting interests, but as long as we get more pluses than minuses overall.

Fair enough Hearts to hearts, I suppose my b2itching was more the lack of Friday night games, and the fact the club requested less Sunday games, as I get the impression Sundays generally do earn the club less (mostly due to corporate involvment).

I think you'll find that playing friday and then Sat night are the two biggest tv audiences, hence bigger sponsoship dollars to those clubs who get seen on the telly more.

Everyone is going to have their own gripes about the fixture. Whilse I do have a personal gripe, I think teh club would still be higly annoyed at the lack on Fri nights, adn too many Sundays.

Shagga#6 said:
Fair enough Hearts to hearts, I suppose my b2itching was more the lack of Friday night games, and the fact the club requested less Sunday games, as I get the impression Sundays generally do earn the club less (mostly due to corporate involvment).

I think you'll find that playing friday and then Sat night are the two biggest tv audiences, hence bigger sponsoship dollars to those clubs who get seen on the telly more.

QUOTE]

that is what i have to agree with hearts to hearts, i dont believe the club has gotten the fixture deal they were after, especially when we made the 8 this yr and proved to the afl that wr can draw crowds to the dome.:thumbsdown:

if the games get good coverage on sunday i still wont be at home to see it.

steveo1010 said:
That means 13 games in Melbourne, both freo and westcoast.. and port and crows play 12 home games.. we only have one more than them. we are the most screwed club in melbourne/Victoria

Finally. Someone who has actually looked at the complete fixture,/B] eg 8 interstate trips - 2 WA & 2 SA.
Collingwood have 11 games at the MCG. And that takes into account the MCG not being available until Rd 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

2006 Fixture discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back