Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Sydney - Rd18

Remove this Banner Ad

Or 3tr time, like the Collingwood game. That’s what the sub is for.
But he’d only be on him for 65-70% of the first three quarters due to needing so many rotations.

He’s done well standing opposition clearance mids.

He’s get absolutely torched playing outside.

You If he couldn't run out a game on daicos, he'd have no hope on a wing with gulden.
So you tag for a third of the game?

What? I have Phillips in two rotations. All mids spend a bit of time on the bench each quarter.

Why do you only post about Phillips? You literally post about nothing else. It’s ****ing bizarre.

That's a very flawed logic. A good tagger nullifies for the entire game.

In fact it’s more of an innovative theory along the lines of elite cycling.

Absolute flog your run with player until he can’t run any more and replace him with fresh legs to continue the role.

Personally I’d have started Phillips and had Shiels as the sub.

I’d just rotate the centre square mid rotations more heavily. Phillips tags Warner. Then have Jy and Sheez spend more time across half forward pushing up as the extra midfielder.

First rotation
LDU - Wardlaw - Phillips

Second rotation
LDU - Powell - Phillips

Third rotation
Wardlaw - Powell - Sheezel

I’d prefer to maintain team balance which has looked bang on the money since the bye. Hard luck for Will but there’s 5 better mids ahead of him.

Again, Will’s lack of flexibility will go against him when our best 5 mids are fit and available for selection. With how quiet and the amount of times he fumbled last week, I don’t think he deserved the spot on merit anyway.

In fact it’s more of an innovative theory along the lines of elite cycling.

Absolute flog your run with player until he can’t run any more and replace him with fresh legs to continue the role.

Personally I’d have started Phillips and had Shiels as the sub.
I remember hearing that we rotated a tag on Greg Williams with three players one night game at the 'G. It's not like he was renowned for his tank but obviously Pagan wanted intensity.

Been reliably informed that one was Rock, another Clarko and the game was the night game in 93 at the G - not sure if there actually was a third (edited). Anyhow, the story goes that they sang nursery rhymes to him on instruction from Pagan the whole game and it made him very cranky.

Last edited:
Dunno, i still think EVERYTHING should take a back seat behind Stephens not playing after that embarrassing, potentially toxic non effort last week. If you want to build a strong go-when-it's-your-turn culture, its indefensible imo.

I'm not nearly as concerned about anything beyond that, just start from there and make the rest work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember hearing that we rotated a tag on Greg Williams with three players one night game at the 'G. It's not like he was renowned for his tank but obviously Pagan wanted intensity. One was Scott, then Rock and I can't remember who the third was - maybe Stevo. Anyhow, the story goes that they sang nursery rhymes to him on instruction from Pagan the whole game and it made him very cranky.

Used to be common with Robert Harvey

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah Stephens also has some experience playing on the smaller SCG & we don’t really have a like for like replacement.
He is the softest player I’ve ever seen grace a footy field, but he does offer run & is a decent kick.
He was good when started as sub the 2 weeks previous & wouldn’t surprise if he was sub again.
Needs to pull his finger out ASAP
Oh yeah I'm not saying I'd have kept Stephens in but we don't have too many great runners. Agree on the soft part.

To stop Sydney we need more than 1 tagger plus Wilphil is not know for his speed so best to bring in Warlaw and go head to head with them and see what we have got....Lets make it a shoot out.. ;)
Lets go head to head, attack, attack and well, attack! We don't have anything to lose, they do, three losses in a row, a month and a half before finals would get even the most hardon Swans supporter raising their eyebrows and questioning are they really that good or like GWS early on in the year just having there run, remember its a long time to be on the up, one of the sure ways to be ready is to peak just before finals, round 22 or 23.

They are a good team but premiership favourites, "wow" they would want to beat us by 10 to 12 goals going easy for where we are on the ladder. Where we are just babies in this competition compared to them if they can do that then I'll give them the seal of approval, if they think they are that good then prove it, show that "eye of the tiger", that hunger, cause I don't think they are there, yet.

They have one very dangerous forward in my opinion, Tom Pappley, I would be sending young Archer down there to stick to him like glue, blue gun him, if we can negate him, we can win this game! ;)
Craft GIF by Fleecefun

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Sydney - Rd18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back