Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Sydney - Rd18

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually it's a rip off. Will Phill is clearly on the outer and is being sent a message to look elsewhere
To stop Sydney we need more than 1 tagger plus Wilphil is not know for his speed so best to bring in Warlaw and go head to head with them and see what we have got....Lets make it a shoot out.. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it has
Frustrated Austin Powers GIF

They may play different positions but Stephens in particular should go before Will
Stephens was pox & should be dropped for his piss weak efforts, but he is not competing for a spot with Phillips or Wardlaw.
Iā€™d rather more CBA for Powell & Sheezel this week & beyond. They get significantly less if we play Phillips too.

Disappointed for Phillips. I get the team balance and positional things but felt heā€™d actually found a niche there for himself. Warner will have 35 and 3 Iā€™m tipping.

Doesnā€™t mean he is finished but will take some big performances to get back in. You could tell last week they were favouring going without a tag, then it becomes pure depth chart.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I donā€™t think itā€™s harsh on Phil at all, he was very ordinary last week without having to tag. Dogs and Bont exposed the space we left with the tag, teams will pick up on that and itā€™s probably why we didnā€™t go back to it vs Suns.

Iā€™d much prefer Powell and Sheezel getting the midfield rotations over Phillips at this point.

Stephens was pox & should be dropped for his piss weak efforts, but he is not competing for a spot with Phillips or Wardlaw.
Iā€™d rather more CBA for Powell & Sheezel this week & beyond. They get significantly less if we play Phillips too.
We'll need Stephens' run against the Swans. They are lethal in transition.
Powell deserved to stay in. You could argue about Shiels but we don't know what role he'll be set for.
He might be tasked with chasing Blakey around and the mids just go head to head.

I'm a big fan of Will and I'm still hopeful that he'll make it with us, but he's essentially competing for midfield minutes with LDU, Wardlaw, Powell, and Sheezel. Plus tbh he didn't have the best game last week. It's unfortunate that he's out of the side again, but it is what it is.

If you asked who would you rather in the team
Logue, Fisher, Phillips, Bergman.
OR
Pink, Taylor, McDonald, Stephens.

You would take the first 4.

-Pink is in for structure.
-Taylor also as a defensive forward.
-Iā€™d argue Logue or Bergman offer more than McDonald, but heā€™s the captain.
-Phillips has been removed from the rotations in favour of Powell. But we should be tagging Warner this week.
-McKercher has been left at half back in favour of Fisher. Why couldnā€™t Fish play the wing then? And we piss off Stephens?

Ideally Phillips keeps his spot and Taylor goes and Fisher comes in Stephens at a minimum.

If we get it wrong and the Swans get ahold of us then itā€™ll be easy changes for Carlton.

We'll need Stephens' run against the Swans. They are lethal in transition.
Powell deserved to stay in. You could argue about Shiels but we don't know what role he'll be set for.
He might be tasked with chasing Blakey around and the mids just go head to head.
Yeah Stephens also has some experience playing on the smaller SCG & we donā€™t really have a like for like replacement.
He is the softest player Iā€™ve ever seen grace a footy field, but he does offer run & is a decent kick.
He was good when started as sub the 2 weeks previous & wouldnā€™t surprise if he was sub again.
Needs to pull his finger out ASAP

I donā€™t think itā€™s harsh on Phil at all, he was very ordinary last week without having to tag. Dogs and Bont exposed the space we left with the tag, teams will pick up on that and itā€™s probably why we didnā€™t go back to it vs Suns.

Iā€™d much prefer Powell and Sheezel getting the midfield rotations over Phillips at this point.

I referenced a discussion on SEN yesterday before, and the interesting point they made is that the tag is great as a shock tactic but once teams start planning for it, it becomes less effective unless you have a great tagger. I saw it start against the Dees

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes and pre match discussion vs Sydney - Rd18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back