2008 fixtures

Remove this Banner Ad

hobart cat

Senior List
Jun 18, 2007
hobart
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone have any idea as to - at least roughly - when these are released?
we'll get about 8 Friday/Saturday night games at the 'G I reckon.

this year we got punished for playing a shoddy brand of footy in 2006 and were subsequently relegated to Fox most weeks.

in 2008 we can get ready for Cats footy on ch 7 or ch 10 nearly every week.

I'd love to see us play Collingwood and Essendon at the MCG next season, hopefully with one of them as a home game.

We'll probably only get 1-2 Twilight matches like last season, more Saturday arvo games hopefully, although Skilled Stadium games are perfect for the 1pm or 2pm Sunday slots.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/10/16/7861_gfc.html

Cats submit their 2008 AFL draw wishlist
Michael Auciello
16Oct07

Geelong has submitted its wish list for thje 2008 season as the Cats seek to go back-to-back.

GEELONG is hoping its premiership status will add more muscle to its fixture requests as the AFL prepares to release the 2008 draw.

The Cats expect to see a draft of next year's fixture this week, having already submitted their priorities to the league.

They are also hoping results, such as their round 15 profit for the match against Collingwood, will also show the AFL they are a high-drawing team.

Chief executive Brian Cook yesterday said Geelong made $770,000 profit from the game that drew 85,000 to the MCG, including gate receipts, coteries and catering rights.

``I haven't checked the records but I believe that's the biggest profit (from one game) ever in Geelong's history,'' he said.

Geelong's wishlist for next year's fixture includes nine home games at Skilled Stadium, no consecutive six-day breaks and no more than four interstate matches.

The club has also asked the AFL to consider Skilled Stadium for NAB Cup and other pre-season matches.

Cook said there were good reasons why the AFL would approve a request to play both Essendon and Collingwood twice.

``Given we're the premiers, you would think the television would want that and the AFL would want to maximise attendances,'' Cook said.

``It's important to try and get home games against both because you play at the MCG, where you play finals, and there's good dollars in it.''

Cook was not as confident about securing nine home games at Skilled Stadium, because of the number of contracts the AFL has committing it to giving clubs home games interstate, such as the Western Bulldogs in the Northern Territory and Hawthorn in Tasmania.

``This is second year we've asked for that, I'd like to be more confident, but (it might not happen) mainly because another home game would mean a home game would have to be taken off somewhere else, and there are very few to play with,'' he said.

Cook said nine home games would not even be guaranteed if the planned redevelopment of the stadium went ahead. The club is expecting an answer from the AFL on $3 million of league funding by about the end of the month.

A full proposal for funding was also put to the City of Greater Geelong last week.

Cook outlined some of the club's priorities for the 2008 season, including:

MAXIMISING profit at Skilled Stadium to about $637,000 a game, depending on crowds of about 22,000 and playing nine games at the ground;

INCREASING the club's national TV audience for home and away games to more than 12.5 million viewers for the year; and

DEVELOPING a balanced draw, giving the club a chance to be successful on-field, while ensuring the welfare and well-being of the playing group.

The goal of achieving 12.5 million TV viewers, which was originally written in August, would need to be re-assessed, given the Cats played in front of almost 20 million viewers all up this season, Cook said.

``We had 12.5 million during the home and away season and another seven million during the finals,'' Cook said.

I would much rather chanel 10 or fox . Very unimpressed with adfestation of channel 7 and dud cameremen

not to mention special comments from Ox the massive "muppet"

Dennis is a parody of himself and Bruce is as queer as a french horn.

Throw Ricky "I find it difficult to talk" on the boundary line and you have a truely weak broadcast, channel 31 could have done a better job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we should get a pretty good run next year. I know Cookie has asked for 9 at Skilled but 8 with 2 @ the MCG & 1 @ the Dome would be a decent way to spread our 11 home matches. We should also have 3 or 4 away games at the MCG and the same at the Dome with 4 interstate games (WCE, Port, Sydney & Crows the most likely). After our performance and Melbourne based attendances this season we will see the likes of Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond ect wanting to play us a the MCG rather than the Dome for revenue reasons and that can't be a bad thing. Expect plenty of free to air coverage as well.

I'm looking forward to some more delayed channel 7 coverage next year.
That extra half an hour before showing the game really does deserve to be filled up with bear shows.
bear-hunting-.jpg
>>>>>>>>
349622@N24.jpg
:rolleyes:

not to mention special comments from Ox the massive "muppet"

Dennis is a parody of himself and Bruce is as queer as a french horn.

Throw Ricky "I find it difficult to talk" on the boundary line and you have a truely weak broadcast, channel 31 could have done a better job.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA you nailed it PERFECTLY!

How can we be making $600k profit off every Skilled game? Surely if that were the case our profits would be in the $5 to $10 million a year? Sounds like profit is being substituted for revenue here.
- would depend on how you calculate profit. If it is money made after operating costs then that could be about right. If you take into consideration our debts, TPP, support staff, travel, etc etc. I could understand this figure, it doesnt even cover TPP.

How can we be making $600k profit off every Skilled game? Surely if that were the case our profits would be in the $5 to $10 million a year? Sounds like profit is being substituted for revenue here.

Would like to see more MCG games and fewer Dome games, thanks.
This is simply revenue for the day less costs for the day. It would take into account fixed costs like admin costs, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 fixtures

Remove this Banner Ad

Back