2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why have Scarlett and Presti in the same team? The age old arguement, do you pick the best 6 backmen in the comp, or the best player in each position?
I pick the best FB and CHB. Then I put the next best pure defensive player in the comp in a BP. Last year it was Morris or Hudghton, this year it's Presti. The other BP is tricky but normally just the next best defender who isn't considered a key position player. I have Gilbert. Then the two HB's are the two best running/rebounding players. I'm more concerned with their rebounding/attacking play as opposed to their defensive qualities.
So all up, I try and pick the 2 best all round key defenders (Scarlett and Fisher, Bock would be in this category), the best pure defender (Presti) and the 2 best attacking/rebounding defenders (Goddard and Drummond). The other BP is just whoever else fits in or deserves it (Gilbert or Enright).

B: Duffield, Scarlett, Bolton
HB: Goddard, Fisher, Drummond
C: Montagna, Judd, Hayes
HF: S. Johnson, N. Riewoldt, Davis
F: LeCras, Fevola, Rioli
R: Cox, Ablett, J. Selwood

Int: Sandilands, Sewell, S. Black, Aaron Davey

Unlucky: Pendlebury, M. Murphy, H. Macintosh, Boyd, J. Brown, Swan, Dal Santo, S. Gilbert, Bock, Goodes, Kirk, Chapman, Akermanis.

Fev over J.Brown because Fev is a pure FF and I feel the choice was between Riewoldt and Brown for CHF. If Buddy was on, I'd have him at FF, but Fev is currently leading the Coleman, so Fev it is.

Duffield in purely because he's just about been the best defender in the comp over the last month and a bit. It was between him and Gilbert, and Gilbert seems to have tapered off a bit, whereas Duffield is peaking.

S. Black on the pine over Dal Santo because Blacky has the runs on the board and is starting to find some really good form, and NDS is showing once again that if someone plays close attention to him, he tends to struggle. Easy decision IMO.

The rest is pretty straightforward.

I still think Black is behind about at least 15 others. Had an injury interrupted pre season and payed for it with a slow start. Has hit form the past 6 weeks but he’s just a few good games short of the other midfielders. Black and Cooney are looking good for a dominant second half of the season.

I think your thread is being invaded by Adelaide kiddies that assume a cpl of good games by Bock is enough to beat half a season of class by others. Tis normal tho and likely they'll just keep banging on about it till they think someone might actually agree.

Its a bit like old David Parkin picking Hodge in his AA team this week...he has stuck his hand up very early and advertised that he doesnt even have the slightest idea what has been going on with the 2009 season to date. From here on we can assume a lot of the media will just focus in on their golden boy favorites.

Big fan of Sewell this yr..he sticks out like dogs balls at Hawthorn this yr. Got Hayes marginally ahead and already had enough clearance mids...but very worthy pick.

I think your thread is being invaded by Adelaide kiddies that assume a cpl of good games by Bock is enough to beat half a season of class by others. Tis normal tho and likely they'll just keep banging on about it till they think someone might actually agree.

Its a bit like old David Parkin picking Hodge in his AA team this week...he has stuck his hand up very early and advertised that he doesnt even have the slightest idea what has been going on with the 2009 season to date. From here on we can assume a lot of the media will just focus in on their golden boy favorites.

Big fan of Sewell this yr..he sticks out like dogs balls at Hawthorn this yr. Got Hayes marginally ahead and already had enough clearance mids...but very worthy pick.

:rolleyes:

You obviously haven't watched much of Nathan Bock this year. I think Adelaide fans are pretty reasonable overall with most of these phantom AA teams that are whipped up on this board and others. We currently sit in the top 8 and have blokes who are playing well and yet the majority of the final AA teams listed contain 0 Adelaide players. We're fine with this.

What none of us can understand is the contention that Nathan Bock is not even under consideration for a spot with supposedly 2 or even 3 other guys in the league ahead of him. You say Bock playing a couple of good games means we ark up. Bock has played 8 very good to exceptional games. Probably the same as the other players up for his spot. The only difference is Bock has played 8 very good games out of 8 games played in TOTAL.

Bock shuts down his man like a key defender, rebounds like a small defender, and cuts through the middle of the ground like a tall midfielder. What he brings to the Crows is similar to what Dean Cox brings to the Eagles in that he effectively plays 2 or even 3 positions on the ground at once. He's comfortably our best player at the moment just for what he brings to the team. He'd be my first choice key defender in the league at the moment without a shadow of a doubt.

How you yourself could make your own list of the 'perfect attacking team' and not include the most attacking key defender in the competition is beyond me.

b: Matthew Scarlett - Simon Prestigiacomo - Josh Drummond
hb: Brendan Goddard - Sam Fisher - Aaron Davey

Well look at that, I left out Bock too. By the end of the season, I have no doubts that Bock will be in the team. But at this stage, I'd have the other three talls ahead of him. While Davey beats out Duffield and Gilbert for the last spot.

c: Leigh Montagna - Lenny Hayes - Nick dal Santo
r: Aaron Sandilands - Chris Judd - Gary Ablett Jnr

People seem to have gone off dal Santo in recent weeks, but I'd still have him in there. Although he will have to get back to his early season form to keep his spot for the rest of the season. The other 5 pick themselves.

hf: Leon Davis - Matthew Pavlich - Paul Chapman
f: Jonathon Brown - Nick Riewodlt - Steve Johnson

I've gone for three tall forwards, as that is generally how the selectors pick. Pavlich has had a good season, although playing a more midfield role. But players are rarely picked in position, and he has been more than good enough to take the CHF spot. While I have Brown well ahead of the other talls like Fevola and Franklin.

i: Dean Cox - Adam Goodes - Brad Sewell - Scott Pendlebury

Two ruckmen will always get picked, and Cox is the next best. He has been getting a lot of criticism this year, but has been very good. He might not be having the impact of previous years, but he is still the #2 ruckman. While in my opinion the other 3 are the next best midfielders. With Pendlebury just edging out Selwood.

e: Chris Tarrant - Paul Duffield - Chris Knights

Tarrant will be fighting it out with Presti for the 'romantic' selection, with him turning his career around into a very good shut down defender. While on the last 2 months, both Duffield and Knights would be very close and it wouldn't surprise me to see them in at the end of the year.

Other players in my squad: Nathan Bock (d), Sam Gilbert (d), Joel Selwood (m), Dane Swan (m), Matthew Boyd (m), Mark LeCras (f), Cyril Rioli (f), Marc Murphy (m), Jason Porplyzia (f), Jobe Watson (m), Darren Jolly (m), Craig Bolton (d), Corey Enright (d), Lance Franklin (f), Brendan Fevola (f)

Watched every game. So i didnt read further.

He's a fair way off right now but playing good footy NOW and gradually might be catching up.

There have simply been better...more often.

If you have actually watched every game then you really dont have much excuse do you?

Hes the dominant defender in the competition. If youve seen every game hes played this year, then Im afraid to say, you have no idea.:confused:

If you have actually watched every game then you really dont have much excuse do you?

Hes the dominant defender in the competition. If youve seen every game hes played this year, then Im afraid to say, you have no idea.:confused:
Most people would say Scarlett has that honour. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jolly probably stays in the side regardless of how Sandilands performs tomorrow. He was very good. Maxwell had another decent game. O'Brien was good. ROK has been in AA form the last 7 weeks, but had a very poor start to the year. Swan had another good game and I will probably have to squeeze him into the squad now. Mitchell or Bartel to fall out probably.

B: Scarlett Lake Morris

HB: Goddard Bolton Drummond

C: Montagner Hayes Goodes

HF: Okeefe Riewolt(c)Davis

F: S.Johnson Fevola Chapman

R: Cox Ablett Judd(vc)

B: J.Selwood Boyd Rioli Sewell

Emg: Fisher Kirk Higgins

Its looking a bit like you are going to have to find a spot for Didak in that side shortly Gun.
Not really, he has missed 5 games with injury. He also struggled with injury in rounds 3 and 4. So in reality he is 7 games behind the others. Chapman, Davis, Goodes, Higgins etc., are ahead of him for the HF positions. If he keeps playing the way he has the past few weeks then he will be very close by the end of the season.

Can't stop laughing at the side Tony Shaw has thrown up on consecutive days on 3AW. The guy is the biggest flog in the footy media. Questioned by Walls and Connolly on half his selections and his comebacks were to the effect of "I don't care about that" or "yeah but I'm going with him anyway".

For starters he put Mackie in a back pocket. I'm a Geelong supporter and Mackie has had a very ordinary year - lucky to not be dropped had it not been for a number of injuries down back.

Stated Jolly was the best ruckman so far this year but he is only picking one ruckman in his team, and it is Sandilands.

Named Davis in a forward pocket - since when has he played there this year?

Didn't want to consider Fevola even though he leads the Coleman and played half the year injured.

There were more where those came from. Does he even watch footy? Unbelievable.

He did it on AFL teams as well, or whatever that show is called that BT hosts on Fox Sports. Mackie was a shocker, I'd have Enright way ahead from Geelong. Even Kelly at this stage.
Parkin was the worst though, he had Hodge in a BP. The 'experts' are laughable sometimes.

SwanBets AA team

B. S.Prestengacomo , M.Scarlett , J.Drummond
HB. B.Goddard , N.Bock , A. Davey
C. L.Montagna , C.Judd , J.Selwood
HF. S.Jhonson , N.Reiwolt , P.Chapman
F. Fevola , J.Brown , L.Davis
R. D.Jolly , N.Dalsanto, G.Ablett
B. A.Sandilands , D.Swan , S. Fisher , Rioli

Bartel needs to go, his junktime stats don't fool anyone.

Agree. He gets so many cheap kicks and handballs his possessions are basically meaningless. He isnt impacting games like he used to in his brownlow year, even still i didnt believe he was a worth winner. Reminded me a lot of Chad Fletcher in his AA year.

Agree. He gets so many cheap kicks and handballs his possessions are basically meaningless. He isnt impacting games like he used to in his brownlow year, even still i didnt believe he was a worth winner. Reminded me a lot of Chad Fletcher in his AA year.
Bartel isn't near All Australian form this year, but on no fault of his own. Geelong has been decimated in defence for most of the season, forcing midfielders such as Corey, Bartel and Kelly to play a lot across half-back and fill in the holes.

Bartel isn't near All Australian form this year, but on no fault of his own. Geelong has been decimated in defence for most of the season, forcing midfielders such as Corey, Bartel and Kelly to play a lot across half-back and fill in the holes.
I think Kelly is more suited to the HB line. Corey and Bartel do their best work in the middle but I have been impressed since Kelly has been moved down back. I think he played their towards the end of last season as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back