2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kelly is more suited to the HB line. Corey and Bartel do their best work in the middle but I have been impressed since Kelly has been moved down back. I think he played their towards the end of last season as well.
For sure, it's more of on a needs-basis that they have spent time there so far. Egan still gone and never to return, Hunt did his ACL a fortnight before Round 1, Harley has spent most of the season on the sideline and Milburn and Taylor have missed weeks. Hope to see the latter three play the rest of the year allowing Corey and Bartel to return to the guts.

Ok, enough of the traditional AA's.... I know they don't ever play an opponent, BUT, man, I get frustrated when I see backlines/forward lines full of key position players, mids full of recceivers or all offensive types, etc. Good Utilities, whilst a dream for a coach, are rarely recognised in AA. With that in mind, I pick my AA based on form, proven record in big games, and a FIT for a position. Sure, some guns miss out, but then, others not normally considered will, as "balance" in an AA team is never seen as an issue!! Excitement was another consideration (sorry Presti...:>))

B: morris scarlett drummond
gilbert bock fisher

Mid: cox ablett murphy
j.selwood judd montagna

Fwd:higgins riewoldt s.johnson
davis brown franklin

INT:sandilands sewell enright davey

Em: goodes boyd dempsey akermanis

I really don't understand your opening rant. First you say you are sick of key position players, but you select 3 key forwards when most people only have 2 and you also have 3 key defenders. Then you say you get sick of people selecting offensive type players but you select pretty much the same midfield as everyone else as well as including one of the most attacking/goal hungry mids in Murphy. Then you say they should reward the utility type players and you don't have either Goodes or Goddard in your team. :confused:

Ok, enough of the traditional AA's.... I know they don't ever play an opponent, BUT, man, I get frustrated when I see backlines/forward lines full of key position players, mids full of recceivers or all offensive types, etc. Good Utilities, whilst a dream for a coach, are rarely recognised in AA. With that in mind, I pick my AA based on form, proven record in big games, and a FIT for a position. Sure, some guns miss out, but then, others not normally considered will, as "balance" in an AA team is never seen as an issue!! Excitement was another consideration (sorry Presti...:>))

B: morris scarlett drummond
gilbert bock fisher

Mid: cox ablett murphy
j.selwood judd montagna

Fwd:higgins riewoldt s.johnson
davis brown franklin

INT:sandilands sewell enright davey

Em: goodes boyd dempsey akermanis

you clearly dont know what a good utillity is if you have left the likes of Goddard and Chapman out of your team and what about dal santo, lovett, swan, mcintosh, pendlebury just to name a few havent even made the emergency list, and again you talk about good utillity's being in the side why the hell do you have ada goodes in the emergency then his almost as good as it gets when you mention the word utillity

you clearly dont know what a good utillity is if you have left the likes of Goddard and Chapman out of your team and what about dal santo, lovett, swan, mcintosh, pendlebury just to name a few havent even made the emergency list, and again you talk about good utillity's being in the side why the hell do you have ada goodes in the emergency then his almost as good as it gets when you mention the word utillity

At least he picked Bock.:D

All Australian Squad after Round 12:

Defenders (12):
Nathan Bock (Adelaide)
Josh Drummond (Brisbane)
Simon Prestigiacomo (Collingwood)
Chris Tarrant (Fremantle)
Paul Duffield (Fremantle)
Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)
Corey Enright (Geelong)
Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
Brendan Goddard (St.Kilda)
Sam Fisher (St.Kilda)
Sam Gilbert (St.Kilda)
Craig Bolton (Sydney)

In: Nathan Bock
Out: Troy Chaplin

Unlucky: Lake, Chaplin, Glass, Salopek, Rutten, Morris, Bower

Midfielder (16, inc. 3 ruckmen):
Chris Judd (Carlton)
Marc Murphy (Carlton)
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
Dane Swan (Collingwood)
Jobe Watson (Essendon)
Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)
Gary Ablett (Geelong)
Joel Selwood (Geelong)
Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
Lenny Hayes (St.Kilda)
Leigh Montagna (St.Kilda)
Nick Dal Santo (St.Kilda)
Darren Jolly (Sydney)
Dean Cox (West Coast)
Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs)

In: Dane Swan
Out: Jimmy Bartel

Unlucky: Bartel, McIntosh, Edwards, S.Thompson, A.Selwood, J.Bolton

Forwards (12):

Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
Brendan Fevola (Carlton)
Leon Davis (Collingwood)
Steve Johnson (Geelong)
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)
Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda)
Adam Goodes (Sydney)
Mark LeCras (West Coast)
Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs)
Jason Akermanis (Western Bulldogs)

In: Jason Akermanis
Out: Jarryd Roughead

Unlucky: Tredrea, Roughead, Porplyzia, Knights, Giansiracusa, Betts, Koschitzke

All-Australian Team after Round 12:
B:
Sam Gilbert; Matthew Scarlett; Simon Prestigiacomo
HB: Corey Enright; Sam Fisher; Josh Drummond
C: Leigh Montagna; Chris Judd (vc); Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt (c); Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson; Jonathan Brown; Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox; Lenny Hayes; Gary Ablett
INT: Darren Jolly; Brendan Goddard; Joel Selwood; Adam Goodes

In: Jonathan Brown, Adam Goodes
Out: Lance Franklin, Brad Sewell

EMG: Aaron Sandilands; Brad Sewell; Mark LeCras

From the backline, Scarlett a no brainer. Presti has pushed ahead now with Bolton missing a game. The CHB position is starting to become closer. Fisher has dropped off a bit lately, Tarrant played well tonight so he is pushing. Bolton can nudge Fisher out as well if he resumes his good form after injury. Bock has been very good when playing, but once again, due to the fact he is a few games behind I doubt I can see him making the side until R14 or 15 at the earliest. I'd say I am being generous putting him in the squad, but none of the other key defenders have stood out. Lake or Rutten were close. Gilbert made a good return from injury so he stays in the BP. I have moved Enright into the starting 18 after another good game tonight and I have moved Goddard to the bench. I like the idea that some of you are using the bench for utility type players (I think it was Bollox and Big Nasty) so Goddard and Goodes are on the bench. Drummond didn't look right on the bench, because I think other midfielders have probably been better than him, but I think he is one of the best off the HB flank so I moved Goddard to the bench.
The midfield is exactly the same. I think they are a class above the other contenders. The 1st ruck position is getting closer. Cox is still no.1 in my opinon, but Jolly and Sandilands have been closing recently. I wouldn't be surprised that if in a few weeks Cox is out of the team. Jolly just gets the nod for the backup after his dominant display against Collingwood, but once again I don't object to Sandilands in the team. Goodes into the team is a delayed reaction, I have probably underrated his season. Sewell unlucky.
The forward line has two 100% certainties at the moment with Riewoldt and Johnson. Davis close enough to a certainty. Chapman gets the other HF position, Higgins, Goodes and Aker just behind. Brown goes ahead of Franklin and Fev for the FF position. This position is judged week by week because none of them have stood out. Rioli over LeCras was the toughest selection. LeCras has more goals, but I think Rioli has been the better player so far this season. LeCras will probably be in next week though due to Rioli's hamstring. In regards to the squad I took Roughead out and put Aker in becasue I doubt I will be having 3 key forwards in the team this season, so there isn't a need for more than 4 key forwards in the squad. Roughead has faded a bit anyway.

All Australian Squad after Round 12:

All-Australian Team after Round 12:
B: Sam Gilbert; Matthew Scarlett; Simon Prestigiacomo
HB: Corey Enright; Sam Fisher; Josh Drummond
C: Leigh Montagna; Chris Judd (vc); Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt (c); Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson; Jonathan Brown; Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox; Lenny Hayes; Gary Ablett
INT: Darren Jolly; Brendan Goddard; Joel Selwood; Adam Goodes

Really good effort overall.

Tarrant has just about been the best CHB in the league this year.

Really impressed by his form and the fact that he has re-invented himself.

i know you stated that you dont object to sandilands to being in the team but he absolutely dominated geelong today whilst being double teamed and triple teamed the whole day which no other ruckman ever has to put up with.

i cant see him being left out.

really good effort though the team looks good. duffield would be getting close now too fremantles best player atm.

B: Sam Fisher - Matthew Scarlett - Simon Prestigiacomo
HB: Paul Duffield - Nathan Bock - Brendon Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna - Chris Judd - Scott Thompson
HF: Leon Davis - Nick Riewoldt - Shaun Higgins
F: Steve Johnson - Jonathan Brown - Cyril Rioli
R: Aaron Sandilands - Lenny Hayes - Gary Ablett
INT: Brad Sewell - Josh Drummond - Adam Goodes - Paul Chapman

EMG: Nick Dal Santo - Dean Cox - Aaron Davey

Its looking a bit like you are going to have to find a spot for Didak in that side shortly Gun.

You Adelaide blokes must hang in a little sewing circle..and tout anyone with recent form like Bock for all australian...then as soon as Didak is back you're on his bandwagon. Worse than the media goons fllp flopping from one to another.

Maybe u should think before u type coz it just looks like drivel.

Even if Didak was BOG for the next 3 weeks he couldnt have caught OKeefe for that role...and he's only been great for half the yr an still a way off from selection.

With ruck not a particularly strong position this yr i dont see why fringe quality needs to be picked.
Maybe its the right time to give Goodes 5 minutes notice that he's playing as a mobile ruckman off the bench for this AA team...he'd still earn his spot and simply make the team stronger coz it allows another definite top 22 gun to make the team..rather than any average ruckman that hasnt exaclty set the world alight. Top line utilities are GOLD...whynot use them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been impressed with Didak for most of the year and he he running into some awesome form at the moment so I dont see why his name wont pop up later in the year if he keeps it going.

Bollocks.

I've been impressed with Didak for most of the year and he he running into some awesome form at the moment so I dont see why his name wont pop up later in the year if he keeps it going.

Bollocks.
Most of the year he has been injured or struggled with injury. He played 2 good games early on and now has strung together about 3. So playing 5 good games out of 12, isn't most of the year.

You Adelaide blokes must hang in a little sewing circle..and tout anyone with recent form like Bock for all australian...then as soon as Didak is back you're on his bandwagon. Worse than the media goons fllp flopping from one to another.

Maybe u should think before u type coz it just looks like drivel.

Even if Didak was BOG for the next 3 weeks he couldnt have caught OKeefe for that role...and he's only been great for half the yr an still a way off from selection.

You missed the point by so far that you have made a complete dill of yourself.

Maybe you should actually turn your own brain on before you start typing. I shall spell it out for you as you are clearly no where near as clever as you think you are.

Didak is currently in very good form. If it continues he may well come into AA consideration.

Now is that too much information for you to squeeze into that ever so sharp bain of yours.

:rolleyes:

Didak is currently in very good form. If it continues he may well come into AA consideration.
He has about a 10% chance of making AA by the end of the year. You can't ignore the other players. Davis and Chapman aren't going to have over 5 shockers for the rest of the season. Goodes, Aker and Higgins aren't going to fall off the planet, so Didak needs 4 of them to have a serious form dip to have any remote possibility of making the team.

He has about a 10% chance of making AA by the end of the year. You can't ignore the other players. Davis and Chapman aren't going to have over 5 shockers for the rest of the season. Goodes, Aker and Higgins aren't going to fall off the planet, so Didak needs 4 of them to have a serious form dip to have any remote possibility of making the team.

Fair enough Gun. I guess it just depends on how much weight you put on number of games played. Dont get me wrong I'm no fan of Didak, but his current form is probably as good as anyones. If he plays like this for the rest of the season it will make it interesting.

Hypothetically - (a bit basic, but you will get the gist)
If player A plays 17 games and is in best players 12 times do you pick Player B who played 22 games and was in best players 10 times?

With ruck not a particularly strong position this yr i dont see why fringe quality needs to be picked.
Maybe its the right time to give Goodes 5 minutes notice that he's playing as a mobile ruckman off the bench for this AA team...he'd still earn his spot and simply make the team stronger coz it allows another definite top 22 gun to make the team..rather than any average ruckman that hasnt exaclty set the world alight. Top line utilities are GOLD...whynot use them.

What!

Arguably the strongest year for rucks in quite a while. Sandilands, Cox, Jolly, and McIntosh have been superb and it's an insult to label them fringe quality.

Goodes should be played off the bench even with a resting ruck man as he's been one of the best utilities this year along with Chapman and Pavlich in patches.

I've never really liked the idea of having a backup ruckman in the side. They have barely warranted being in the best 22 most of the time and I think it is just the selectors trying to make the AA team look more like a team. The ruckmen have been pretty good this year though. Still think the years of Lade, Primus and Everitt were the best years for ruckman this decade.

I've been impressed with Didak for most of the year

See this is the kinda bullshit that doesnt help. Didak has only played 7 games...4 at the start and 3 more lately. Of those only round 2 and the last 2 have been anything other than disappointing. Were games he not only diodnt lay a single tackle but couldnt even kick a point. His only good games in fact were two against the spooners and one against my mob...who arnt exactly motoring along as a threat.

Averages soemthing disgraceful in terms of tackling ..one of the most unaccountable blokes going around to the frustration of his coach...gets a bit of ball but has only kicked 11/6 for the season with it. Hasnt even been on the bloody park enough to be taken seriously.

If u've been "impressed" by that then maybe its more a reflection of your own low standards. Hope u get the time between episodes of flogging Bock to have a good look at your standards.

See this is the kinda bullshit that doesnt help. Didak has only played 7 games...4 at the start and 3 more lately. Of those only round 2 and the last 2 have been anything other than disappointing. Were games he not only diodnt lay a single tackle but couldnt even kick a point. His only good games in fact were two against the spooners and one against my mob...who arnt exactly motoring along as a threat.

Averages soemthing disgraceful in terms of tackling ..one of the most unaccountable blokes going around to the frustration of his coach...gets a bit of ball but has only kicked 11/6 for the season with it. Hasnt even been on the bloody park enough to be taken seriously.

If u've been "impressed" by that then maybe its more a reflection of your own low standards. Hope u get the time between episodes of flogging Bock to have a good look at your standards.

Thats much better Bollocks. No sweeping generalisations about groups of supporters and yet managed to make a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back