R: D.Cox L.Hayes G.Ablett

Int:bA.Sandilands A.Goodes J.Selwood B.Goddard
Are you kidding me
Joel corey
otherwise alright

Are you kidding me
Joel corey
otherwise alright

Adam Goodes has been travelling well despite the Swans' poor form. Though I wouldn't say he's in AA contention just yet, he doesnt warrant the response you gave.

As for:
B: S.Gilbert M.Scarlett S.Prestigiacomo
B: J.Drummond S.Fisher C.Enright
C: L.Montagna C.Judd N.Dal Santo
F: P.Chapman N.Riewoldt J.Brown
F: M.LeCras B.Fevola S.Johnson

Int:A.Sandilands A.Goodes J.Selwood B.Goddard

Take out Cox and put in Jolly

B: S.Gilbert M.Scarlett S.Prestigiacomo
B: J.Drummond S.Fisher C.Enright
C: L.Montagna C.Judd N.Dal Santo
F: P.Chapman N.Riewoldt J.Brown
F: M.LeCras B.Fevola S.Johnson

Int:bA.Sandilands A.Goodes J.Selwood B.Goddard

Another poster who know his stuff.:thumbsu:
After this round I'd say I'll have pretty much the same players as you. Just swap Fev for Davis and put Brown at FF.

Another poster who know his stuff.:thumbsu:
After this round I'd say I'll have pretty much the same players as you. Just swap Fev for Davis and put Brown at FF.
Cheers AG. The only position i wasn't too sure about was the ruck, as i'll be honest, I'ts one area of the game I don't pay too much attention to. So who would you pick for the ruck spots?

Cheers AG. The only position i wasn't too sure about was the ruck, as i'll be honest, I'ts one area of the game I don't pay too much attention to. So who would you pick for the ruck spots?
Cox. I don't get all this crap about him having a bad season. His bad is still better than most. Then it's tight. Backup will go to whoever plays better out of Jolly and Sandilands this weekend. McIntosh probably should be backup but I don't think he is as influential. So Cox as starting ruck and then I have no objections to either Jolly, Sandilands or McIntosh as backup. I think the selectors have to pick a backup ruck, but I'm not sure.

No one is definite. Fisher and Bolton have a very good head start on him for the CHB position. Even Tarrant is ahead of him at this stage.
Not sure I agree.

Bock is better in kicks, handballs, possessions, goals, contested marks, clearances, inside 50's, rebound 50's, long kicks, bounces and makes less errors playing in a side with less midfield pressure to make him look good.

As for Tarrant, he has half the amount of ball and still makes more errors.

On Fox Sports last night on the show BT hosts they all did their AA sides. Biggest joke was David Parkin selecting Luke Hodge in a BP, but he admitted to not seeing enough football this season. Mackie was in one of the other teams, not sold on him. Corey on a HB flank didn't look too bad. Him and Bartel have spent a fair bit of time there, I think? None of them had a backup ruckman so I don't know if the selectors have to select one. I'm not fussed, the backup ruckman wouldn't be in the best 22 this season, but if it's meant to be a team I suppose they should. Even though it never plays.

I don't care about stats, especially for defenders. I go on memory of who stood out.
Ok then.

Played 8 games this year, yet to miss the best players (according to AFL.com.au reports)

Game 1: 4th best
Game 2: 6th best
Game 3: BOG
Game 4: 4th best
Game 5: 2nd best
Game 6: 2nd best
Game 7: 5th best
Game 8: 3rd best

Compared to Fisher.

Game 1: Didn't make best.
Game 2: 3rd best
Game 3: Didn't make best.
Game 4: Didn't make best.
Game 5: 2nd best
Game 6: Didn't make best.
Game 7: Didn't make best.
Game 8: 8th best
Game 9: Didn't make best.
Game 10: Didn't make best.
Game 11: Didn't make best.
Game 12: Didn't make best.

Now I know this isn't a definitive answer as to who is better, but 2 anonymous peoples opinions can't really be disputed without some sort of 'real' measurement, and Bocky has quite comprehensively been a better, more important player at CHB.

Adelaide have had a pretty even start to the year. For the Saints, Montagna, Dal Santo, Hayes and Riewoldt have been in the best 5 nearly every week. Goddard or Kosi there as well. Fisher has been very good, but he isn't the dominant player for the Saints. Put Bock in the Saints and he wouldn't be in the best either.

Adelaide have had a pretty even start to the year. For the Saints, Montagna, Dal Santo, Hayes and Riewoldt have been in the best 5 nearly every week. Goddard or Kosi there as well. Fisher has been very good, but he isn't the dominant player for the Saints. Put Bock in the Saints and he wouldn't be in the best either.
So Fisher struggling to make a best players list most weeks which quite often exceeds 7 or 8 players due to the thrashings they dish out makes him still the premier CHB in the comp?

I'm not so sure. He obviously isn't even in their top 5-8 players, so I'm unsure how he can be classified as a standout AA player.

There's a good reason why he hasn't been in the best - all the work has been done for him in the midfield.

To perform better at CHB in an average team, than a player in an undefeated team at with the best percentage at CHB, is a great achievement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Fox Sports last night on the show BT hosts they all did their AA sides. Biggest joke was David Parkin selecting Luke Hodge in a BP, but he admitted to not seeing enough football this season. Mackie was in one of the other teams, not sold on him. Corey on a HB flank didn't look too bad. Him and Bartel have spent a fair bit of time there, I think? None of them had a backup ruckman so I don't know if the selectors have to select one. I'm not fussed, the backup ruckman wouldn't be in the best 22 this season, but if it's meant to be a team I suppose they should. Even though it never plays.

That segment was embarrassing for all concerned. The 3 AA teams selected by the panel were a joke.
Thankfully they are the C grade of footy commentators and they really dont count. Totally irrelevant.

P.S Tony Shaw has to be one of the dumbest people on television.

Thats all well and good if youve seen every game of the year. If you havent you need to rely on some stats.

You have seen every game Bock has played this year havent you????
Nah Aussie Gun's a decent judge of the game, I just think he's giving Bocky too much weight for missing 4 games.

Thats all well and good if youve seen every game of the year. If you havent you need to rely on some stats.

You have seen every game Bock has played this year havent you????
I resort to stats if it's lineball. Minimum I watch 4 games of football live each week. Depending on surf conditions, GF and laziness I'll watch up to 6 some weeks. So I can base my own opinion on what I see and what I remember. Of the matches I don't see, I will base my opinions on what I read (articles in papers, on websites, neutral BF posters) and my mates or people from work. Then I resort to stats if I'm not sure on a selection. Stats are too subjective to base an argument around them. A lot of the small things players do that I rate, often don't appear on the stat sheet. Punching the ball into space, leading an opponent away from a ball so a teammate has a clear run, going 2nd man up to kill the contest, legal blocking, running in straight lines as opposed to laterally etc. Those things don't really appear on a stat sheet but they show the player has a football brain. Damaging, influential, match winner, game changer etc. I rate what I remember before I look at the number of kicks, marks and handballs.
Bock's not far off, but the main reason I don't have him in contention is the number of games he has missed. 4 is probably one too many to consider him. Ablett can miss games because he is a freak. Steve Johnson can miss the next 4 weeks of football and still be my FP, but Bock isn't a 4 game better player than Fisher, Tarrant and Bolton. The competition is too close where he can miss a handful of games and still be ahead of the pack.

Considered if he plays out the remainder of the year?

Exactly. In his current form he will win Adelaides B&F again comfortably. Consistantly dominates.

As for rating a game I havent seen, I think I would probably take more notice of some stats and best player selections rather than a bit of heresay from some mates etc, that may or may not have seen the game themselves.

I dont like stats anymore than anyone else, but if you havent seen the game, I really dont know what else you can go by. Stats are a lot more detailed these days than they used to be.

As for rating a game I havent seen, I think I would probably take more notice of some stats and best player selections rather than a bit of heresay from some mates etc, that may or may not have seen the game themselves.
Normally they would have watched it. I find articles better because collectively you can form your own opinion off multiple opinions. The stat sheet might tell you Lance Franklin got 5 kicks. It doesn't tell you if he was injured or his opponent beat him.
BF is good as well. I respect certain posters on this site who I know will give a honest opinion of a game/player. I'd rather read their comments before I look at stats.

Normally they would have watched it. I find articles better because collectively you can form your own opinion off multiple opinions. The stat sheet might tell you Lance Franklin got 5 kicks. It doesn't tell you if he was injured or his opponent beat him.
BF is good as well. I respect certain posters on this site who I know will give a honest opinion of a game/player. I'd rather read their comments before I look at stats.

No problem with your logic Gun. It just annoys the crap out of me that players outside Vic are contsantly ignored or underrated because Vic commentators just dont see as much of them (if at all).;)

No problem with your logic Gun. It just annoys the crap out of me that players outside Vic are contsantly ignored or underrated because Vic commentators just dont see as much of them (if at all).;)
I was born outside Vic so I don't have that 'it's still the VFL' view. Plus, because the Victorian teams are top, that probably doesn't help. There are still plenty of AA candidates from the interstate teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back