2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

i think there has been more infleusial fowards
eg. Chaps, Tredrea, Davis, Ebert

The only one of those four I'd even consider for a deep forward position is Ebert, and I don't think Ebert has had as good a year as Betts or LeCras. Chapman and Davis both spend a lot of time in the midfield. I could have put either on a flank, but I opted for Rioli. As for Tredrea, Most teams don't play more than two keys and a medium forward. I think I've got that covered with Reiwoldt, Franklin and Steve Johnson. My front-6 has kicked 160 goals in ten rounds. I don't think I'm lacking in firepower.

They have both been better than Bird. Also if we do an U/23 side I think Franklin and Roughead would be in it (I think they are still under 23).

No, they really haven't. Zaharakis and Dangerfield have attracted plenty of attention because they have been good for first year players (OK, I know Dangerfield isn't a first year player, but he was a bottom aged pick and only played two games last year, so in terms of development he's about at first year). They have been better than Bird was last year. But Bird is in his second year, and is currently playing better footy. Winning more ball, and is classier. Yet to dominate a game, but his input is very valuable.

And you're right about Frankling and Roughead. How easy it is to forget they're only 22. :eek:

Maybe I'm underrating Bird this season and because it's the first time I've seen Dangerfield and Zaharakis I might be overrating them. Zaharakis would be in contention for the Rising Star with Hill, Rich and Ziebell. Dangerfield as had 1 or 2 very good games but has been a bit inconsistent. He hasn't really found a set position, plays in the midfield and then some matches he plays in the forward line for the whole game. I think Bird has missed a few games with injuries as well, so I'd still have Zaharakis ahead and then probably Bird.

All Australian side so far:
FB: Craig Bolton - Matthew Scarlett - Corey Enright

CHB: Brendan Goddard - Sam Fisher - Josh Drummond

C: Marc Murphy - Lenny Hayes - Adam Goodes

CHF: Steve Johnson - Nick Riewoldt - Leon Davis

FF: Cyril Rioli - Matthew Pavlich - Mark Lecras

FOL: Dean Cox - Chris Judd (c) - Gary Ablett

INT: Hamish McIntosh - Joel Selwood - Paul Chapman - Lindsey Gilbee

Maybe I'm underrating Bird this season and because it's the first time I've seen Dangerfield and Zaharakis I might be overrating them. Zaharakis would be in contention for the Rising Star with Hill, Rich and Ziebell. Dangerfield as had 1 or 2 very good games but has been a bit inconsistent. He hasn't really found a set position, plays in the midfield and then some matches he plays in the forward line for the whole game. I think Bird has missed a few games with injuries as well, so I'd still have Zaharakis ahead and then probably Bird.
Surely Brendan Whitecross has to be considered for the rising star. Has been one of the best yound players this season, and it shocks me how underrated he is.

Surely Brendan Whitecross has to be considered for the rising star. Has been one of the best yound players this season, and it shocks me how underrated he is.
Yeah, another in contention.. I still think it's between Ziebell and Rich. Like last year was between Rioli and Palmer, the rest of the contenders just fill the next 3 spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Craig Bolton - Matthew Scarlett - Sam Gilbert
HB: Brendan Goddard - Sam Fisher - Josh Drummond
C: Joel Selwood - Lenny Hayes - Brad Sewell
HF: Paul Chapman - Nick Riewoldt - Leon Davis
F: Cyril Rioli - Lance Franklin - Stevie Johnson
R: Dean Cox - Gary Ablett Jnr. - Chris Judd

I: Hamish McIntosh - Brett Kirk - Leigh Montagna - Matthew Pavlich

E: Matthew Boyd - Adam Goodes - Jobe Watson

FB: Craig Bolton - Matthew Scarlett - Dale Morris

INT: Hamish McIntosh - Scott Pendlebury - Lindsey Gilbee - Shaun Higgins

None of those Bulldogs players would be in side, and you left off the one that would and would be streets ahead in B&F in Boyd. Higgins would be only one close and there are other forwards ahead of him.

Pavlich is a definate no.

Montagna, Dal Santo, Enright and Gilbert seem obvious ommisions in team.

As I say with every Essendon supporter with Ryder, how can a guy be considered for the AA ruck position when he played his first game in that position in Round 5. Bit of an insult to Cox, Jolly, Sandilands and McIntosh that he can play 4 less games and be ahead of at least one of them. Plus he was average against St.Kilda so 5 out of 10 games doesn't warrant selection for the squad.
Agree with Demspey though.

I'm not suggesting that Ryder should be in this squad (but could claim a spot if he continues his recent form), but your comments aren't entirely true.

Ryder was Essendon's 2nd ruck for the first 4 rounds & Hille rucked about 70% of gametime (played 86%, but spent approx. 5 mins per quarter up forward). Obviously Ryder's numbers were significantly less during this period (10 possessions & 5 HOs per game as opposed to 14.5 & 23 since), but he has definitely rucked in all 10 matches.

Not to mention that Watson doesn't have quality players like Judd winning a lot of the ball instead of him. He's the only inside player they have.

Murphy can also kick - pretty important.

So pretty much you are saying that Watsonhas better stats while playing in a less talented midfield.

Watson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x100 Murphy

FB: Craig Bolton - Matthew Scarlett - Corey Enright

INT: Hamish McIntosh - Joel Selwood - Paul Chapman - Lindsey Gilbee

Have you been watching footy this year? That's a terrible, terrible call.

Is Rioli really a shoe-in??

As small fowards, I'd have a few ahead of him.

Betts, Le Cras, Milne, Johnson (if he counts as that)

How many goals as Cyril kicked this year?

The only one of those four I'd even consider for a deep forward position is Ebert, and I don't think Ebert has had as good a year as Betts or LeCras.

Brett Ebert?! It's a miracle he's still running around for Port, let alone anywhere near AA standard.

No one is a shoe in except S.Johnson, Ablett, Riewoldt and Scarlett. In my opinion Judd, Montagna and Goddard are shoe ins as well, but people might argue against them.

Out of the players you listed (I'm assuming the Johnson you are referring to is Brad, because the other one is in most teams) Rioli has had the best season. He probably doesn't play as close to goal as the others but he has a greater influence. He plays in the forward line and is small so I have no problem considering him a crumbing forward.

Betts kicks a lot of goals in junk-time.

3 against Collingwood when the margin was 50+ points, for example. Two in the final quarter against the Bulldogs when the margin was 27 points. Four against Richmond when the margin was huge.

I wouldn't consider him for AA at this point. LeCras, yes. Johnson, definitely.

Cyril has kicked 15 goals so far this year, has more possessions, contested possessions, i50s, tackles and assists than Betts.

All-Australian Team after Round 10:
B: Sam Gilbert; Matthew Scarlett; Dale Morris
HB: Josh Drummond; Craig Bolton; Brendan Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna; Chris Judd (c); Adam Goodes
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt (vc); Daniel Giansiracusa
F: Steve Johnson; Warren Tredrea; Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox; Joel Selwood; Gary Ablett
INT: Aaron Sandilands; Brad Sewell; Nick Dal Santo; Steven Salopek

All-Australian Team after Round 10:
B: Sam Gilbert; Matthew Scarlett; Dale Morris
HB: Josh Drummond; Craig Bolton; Brendan Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna; Chris Judd (c); Adam Goodes
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt (vc); Daniel Giansiracusa
F: Steve Johnson; Warren Tredrea; Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox; Joel Selwood; Gary Ablett
INT: Aaron Sandilands; Brad Sewell; Nick Dal Santo; Steven Salopek

Personally I don't think there is any doubt that Sandilands is the AA ruckman at the moment. Not only is he getting taps - but his contested work on the ground around stoppages is first rate at the moment.

Cox still kills him in open play - but Sandilands at least is adding to his game !!

Might as well give it a crack.
B; Drummond - Scarlett - Gilbert
HB; Mitchell - Bolton - Goddard
C; Pendlebury - Hayes - Montagna
HF; Johnson - Riewoldt - Davis
F; Rioli - Tredrea - Roughead

R; Cox - Judd - Ablett

I/C; Sandilands - Selwood - Lockyer - Sewell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad