2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Goodes being selected across the half forward flank. Spends a lot of time in the forward line during games now. 20 goals so far this year. A 40 goal year would probably mean you are considered a forward/mid.
Also, I'll probably go with either Franklin or Brown at FF. Fevola, Tredrea and Roughead just begin. One of those three will miss the squad. It's impossible to get it right.

What about Goodes being selected across the half forward flank. Spends a lot of time in the forward line during games now. 20 goals so far this year. A 40 goal year would probably mean you are considered a forward/mid.
Also, I'll probably go with either Franklin or Brown at FF. Fevola, Tredrea and Roughead just begin. One of those three will miss the squad. It's impossible to get it right.
A thought I was having at this stage is, seeing as Goodes has been better than Fev and Buddy this year imo how about Riewoldt at FF and Goodes at CHF considering they both spend a lot of time there?

A thought I was having at this stage is, seeing as Goodes has been better than Fev and Buddy this year imo how about Riewoldt at FF and Goodes at CHF considering they both spend a lot of time there?
As crazy as it sounds, it's probably not a bad idea. Hall and MOL play well near the goals. O'Keefe is playing almost as far up as the half back line. Goodes isn't a true forward, but he drifts around the HF line these days. 20 goals, I think he's in the top few for inside 50's. I think Goodes is behind a few midfielders for a spot in the team (mainly due to lack of consistency), but if I include him as a forward I think their is room (because nearly every forward has been inconsistent), even a bench spot.

A few changes this week and some positional changes. You could call Goodes and Davey midfielders but it has got to the stage where they are playing their best football in the forward line and back line respectively.

Defenders (12):
Josh Drummond (Brisbane)
Simon Prestigiacomo (Collingwood)
Chris Tarrant (Fremantle)
Paul Duffield (Fremantle)
Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)
Corey Enright (Geelong)
Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
Troy Chaplin (Port Adelaide)
Brendan Goddard (St.Kilda)
Sam Fisher (St.Kilda)
Sam Gilbert (St.Kilda)
Craig Bolton (Sydney)

In: Paul Duffield; Aaron Davey
Out: Steven Salopek; Joel Patfull

Unlucky: Salopek, Patfull, C.Morton, Glass, Lake, O'Brien

Midfielder (16, inc. 3 ruckmen):
Chris Judd (Carlton)
Marc Murphy (Carlton)
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
Jobe Watson (Essendon)
Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)
Gary Ablett (Geelong)
Jimmy Bartel (Geelong)
Joel Selwood (Geelong)
Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
Lenny Hayes (St.Kilda)
Leigh Montagna (St.Kilda)
Nick Dal Santo (St.Kilda)
Darren Jolly (Sydney)
Dean Cox (West Coast)
Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs)

In: Marc Murphy
Out: Aaron Davey

Unlucky: Swan and McIntosh (very unlucky), Stanton, J.Bolton, Goodes, A.Selwood, S.Thompson, Edwards, Haselby

Forwards (12):

Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
Brendan Fevola (Carlton)
Leon Davis (Collingwood)
Steve Johnson (Geelong)
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)
Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda)
Adam Goodes (Sydney)
Mark LeCras (West Coast)
Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs)

In: Brendan Fevola; Shaun Higgins; Adam Goodes
Out: Warren Tredrea; Jason Akermanis; Stephen Milne

Unlucky: Tredrea, Akermanis, Milne, Lovett, Porplyzia, Knights, Giansiracusa, Betts

All-Australian Team after Round 11:
B:
Sam Gilbert; Matthew Scarlett; Simon Prestigiacomo
HB: Josh Drummond; Sam Fisher; Brendan Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna; Chris Judd (c); Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt (vc); Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson; Lance Franklin; Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox; Lenny Hayes; Gary Ablett
INT: Darren Jolly; Brad Sewell; Joel Selwood; Corey Enright

In: Lance Franklin, Simon Prestigiacomo
Out: Warren Tredrea, Craig Bolton

EMG: Aaron Sandilands; Matthew Boyd; Adam Goodes

Backline is starting to become more competitive. Gilbert and Drummond struggling with injuries and Goddard a bit quieter lately. So look for players like Enright and Davey to push for the 3 non-key defensive roles. Presti just gets the nod over Bolton in the BP. Yes, Bolton was on Franklin and Presti was on Robertson but you judge them on the performance and I thought Presti took the lead in the battle for an AA position. Tarrant and Chaplin also had good games on the weekend.
The midfield is probably the easiest to select of the lot. The Saints trio of Hayes, Dal Santo and Montagna all had another good game against North. Ablett was near BOG as was Judd. Cox cemented his place as the no.1 ruckman, but I know that is not how a lot of you feel. I think he is being harshly judged this season. Jolly just pipping Sandilands again. Selwood moves to the bench and with Sewell I think need to be in the side. Boyd as the emergency for the midfielders, with Pendlebury close behind. Of the midfielders in the squad I'd say Mitchell, Watson and Bartel would be hanging on. Swan, Edwards and J.Bolton are pushing.
Up forward I think Franklin would get the FF position just ahead of Brown and Fevola. It's the hardest position to pick. I had Tredrea in the team last week and now he's not even in the squad. Simply due to the fact he had the less influencial game compared to the other contenders. Fev wasn't in the squad last week and I almost chose him to go straight into the side. S.Johnson can play poorly for the next 3 weeks and still be in the team. Davis and Riewoldt are comfortably in. Rioli would be ahead of LeCras at the moment. Chapman are the contentious selection. Goodes and Higgins closest at the moment. Knights closing extremely fast. I've selected Goodes as a forward in the squad because that's where he is having a massive impact. Drifting around the half forward line while O'Keefe works up into the midfield. Goodes has 20 goals, tons of inside 50's and has been more then serviceable as a 3rd tall. Knights is another who is fast approaching selection but simply due to the fact he was average in the first 2 rounds and missed the next 4 with injury he is probably a game or two away from being in the team. Knights and Goodes are probably the two most in form players in the competition. I've always been a harsh judge on Goodes but he has probably been a better player than Chapman this year, so it's 50/50.

Very nice work there.

This would be mine:

B: Paul Duffield - Matthew Scarlett - Simon Prestigiacomo
HB: Brendon Goddard - Sam Fisher - Chris Tarrant
C: Leigh Montagna - Chris Judd - Joel Selwood
HF: Leon Davis - Nick Reiwoldt - Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson - Jarryd Roughead - Cyril Rioli
R: Aaron Sandilands - Brad Sewell - Gary Ablett
INT: Dean Cox - Marc Murphy - Lenny Hayes - Craig Bolton
EMG: Hamish McIntosh - Jimmy Bartel - Adam Goodes

In: Jarryd Roughead, Paul Duffield
Out: Warren Tredrea, Jarrad Waite

if presti doesnt make the main side the AA team is a joke, more so than it already is... assuming of course he continues his great form.

Aussie, I have one question, why do you have Lovett as a forward?
Because in another thread two Essendon supporters still consider him a hf/wing who works up the ground. Plus, he's having a good season but he would be behind over 20 midfielders and he's been better than most true forwards. So he best chance for selection is in the forwards. I don't mind midfielders like Goodes, Higgins, Gia, Knights, and Lovett who actually spend some game time in and around the forward line being selected on the HF line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know how Watson is only ''hanging on'' after playing another great game, he was arguably our best player. Maybe only behind Lovett. Might have even got a Brownlow vote.

That's fine. FF and the ruck positions I'm happy to except people will go with Fevola, Roughead or Brown and McIntosh or Sandiland. Both positions are too hard to be certain of who you select.
0,,6661126,00.jpg

A picture says a thousand words. When the other AA candidates get double teamed (by a fair duo themselves) for a 1/2 to reduce their influence then they can lay claim to be the starting AA ruckman.

Cox is still the best ruckman in the league, and will pick up another AA jumper this year. Was brilliant against the Cats.

I dont know how Watson is only ''hanging on'' after playing another great game, he was arguably our best player. Maybe only behind Lovett. Might have even got a Brownlow vote.
He's not hanging on, he's just behind most in the category. Edwards and Swan have been in very good form and Watson will need to keep performing like he has been to hold his spot. Having said that Mitchell, Bartel and Murphy would go out before him.

I rate the midfielders in this order (Goodes, Davey and Davis not included):
1. Ablett
2. Judd
3. Montagna
4. Hayes
5. Dal Santo
6. Selwood
7. Sewell
8. Boyd
9. Pendlebury
10. Watson
11. Murphy
12. Mitchell
13. Bartel
-----------
14. Swan
15. Edwards
16. Bolton

im not sure why presti is rated so highly. seriously, any half wit could play a sole defensive role. a group of elite footballers , which is what the AA squad represents, should only consist of players that find their own ball, use the ball extremely effeciently and set up or make goals themselves. the list could go on.

he might be able to do some of these things if he had a different role, and he obviously can if he made it to AFL level.

Beaten? Scragged more like.

Took two to subdue him. Still got 27 knocks and 20 possessions and 6 clearances against the two of them.
Yeah I thought he was good on the weekend, I just don't think saying he had two guys hanging off him (which most key forwards do) was a good argument for him. I know it's a sign of a good player to be double teamed but it worked in slowing his influence. It was the double teaming that probably stopped him going into my side. It was good coaching form Williams. Jolly played well on the weekend anyway. It's 50/50.

im not sure why presti is rated so highly. seriously, any half wit could play a sole defensive role. a group of elite footballers , which is what the AA squad represents, should only consist of players that find their own ball, use the ball extremely effeciently and set up or make goals themselves. the list could go on. he might be able to do some of these things if he had a different role, and he obviously can if he made it to AFL level.
Spot the dreamteam/supercoach junkie who get's confused between what being a midfielder and a defender involves. Your cracking list is what midfielders are meant to do. The fact you're saying I should pick defenders who 'make goals' means I should probably just ignore you. A defender is told to defend and stop his opponent. Presti is probably the best 1-on-1 defender in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back