2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After last nights game I'd say Higgins would be swapped into the squad of 40 as a forward. Probably at the expense of Akermanis. Cooney is building, still a fair way off grabbing a spot in the squad but his Brownlow form has returned. Boyd keeps performing and along with Montagna and Sewell, has probably been the most consistent midfielder this year. In defence, Lake has been pretty good this season. He has had a lot of break evens with his opponent and rarely gets smashed. Morris is still not as good as last year, after quarter time he did well, but had a poor 1st quarter on Morton. A player who has really impressed me since Round 6 is Harbrow. I'd say he has finally grabbed his opportunity and is performing at a high standard. Was very good last night across the HB line.
Jackson is still the best Tiger this season by a fair margin. Newman is having a decent year in defence.

Agree with all that, I had to check what number Higgins had been drafted, because compared to Griffen and Deledio he just looked on a different plane, fantastic user of the ball.

Harbrow has also impressed me every time I've seen him. Dash and poise off half-back, but also has the defensive smarts which others might have to sacrifice to be so attacking. I may be wrong, but didn't he start as a small forward? Good move by Rocket to send him back there, him and Gilbee provide a great springboard.

All-Australian Team (Round 10)

B: Simon Prestigiacomo Matthew Scarlett Josh Drummond
HB: Corey Enright Craig Bolton Brendon Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna Chris Judd (VC) Lenny Hayes
HF: Leon Davis Nick Riewoldt (C) Cyril Rioli
F: Steve Johnson Lance Franklin Mark LeCras
R: Aaron Sandilands Joel Selwood Gary Ablett
IC: Dean Cox Brad Sewell Sam Fisher Nick Dal Santo

Unlucky: Paul Chapman, Scott Pendlebury, Sam Gilbert, Darren Jolly, Jonathan Brown, Hamish McIntosh

Hardest spot to pick is the ruck. In the end I went with Sandilands because I think his best has been a pretty high level. Cox for general consistency with Jolly and McIntosh both probably suffering from me not seeing enough of their games.

Key forwards after Riewoldt is the most likely spot to change. Franklin, Brown, Roughead, Tredrea all in the hunt.

Chapman and Gilbert the two toughest to omit. Gilbert lost out mainly because I thought both Scarlett and Presti deserved a spot while Chapman I expect will have earnt a spot by season's end.

B: Gilbert Scarlett Drummond
HB:
Fisher Bolton Goddard
C: Montagna Selwood Dal Santo
HF: Davis Riewoldt (C) Rioli
F: Johnson Franklin LeCras
R: McIntosh Hayes Ablett
IC: Pendlebury Goodes Higgins Judd (because he farted and Robert Walls smelt it)

[Hayes] Has probably overtaken Dal Santo and is just behind Montagna as the Saints best midfielder.

Hayes and Joey don't get the same attention Dal does though. Hayes was head-to-head with Simpson for a lot of the day. A lot of Hayes opponents have had very big games.

I've got Hayes in my team right now, but Dal or Joey have been quite worthy of selection as well. I thought Dal's game today was particularly impressive.

Hayes and Joey don't get the same attention Dal does though. Hayes was head-to-head with Simpson for a lot of the day. A lot of Hayes opponents have had very big games.

I've got Hayes in my team right now, but Dal or Joey have been quite worthy of selection as well. I thought Dal's game today was particularly impressive.
I've got all three in my team and I can't see them going out of the side any time soon. They all warrant selection.

So...if Franklin kicks 4 or less tomorrow than Fev's an automatic inclusion in your AA teams, right? Seeing as though Franklin's only been picked in most teams for having kicked more goals than anybody else...

Wrong. Franklin had more goals than Mooney in 2007, yet was overlooked for AA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong. Franklin had more goals than Mooney in 2007, yet was overlooked for AA.

Exactly my point. Franklin's been selected in just about every team despite being very underwhelming and extremely undisciplined while Fev hasn't rated a mention. Neither has recaptured last year's form but Fev's had more impact - had more shots on goal than any other player after 11 rounds but inaccuracy hurt him.

Not sure if either of them should be considered AA at the moment (though Fev's last fortnight has to put him right back in contention).

Exactly my point. Franklin's been selected in just about every team despite being very underwhelming and extremely undisciplined while Fev hasn't rated a mention. Neither has recaptured last year's form but Fev's had more impact - had more shots on goal than any other player after 11 rounds but inaccuracy hurt him.

Franklin's on top of the goalkicking table . . . or at least he was before tonight. He still has a game in hand.
That would be why he gets 'mentioned' more than Fev.

Not sure if either of them should be considered AA at the moment (though Fev's last fortnight has to put him right back in contention).

You probably have the Coleman Medallist in most years.

Apart from Riewoldt none of the big forwards really deserve AA selection. I had Tredrea just ahead of Brown, Franklin and Roughead. Fevola was a bit futher back but would have jumped up to at be just about level with them. Kosi is another who has been good. He was my AA FF in the first 4 rounds, then injury struck. He has had a few good games since. Bradshaw has started playing in defence because Patfull and Merrett have been injured. I've got no idea who I would select at FF, might just have to resort to whoever's leading the goal kicking.

yeah the FF spot is just about the hardest to do, and very much up for grabs. All the usual suspects have been up and down, Tredrea, Fev, Brown, Buddy, Kosi etc. have been great some games and dissappeared the next. Will be very tough to pick if none of them can sustain form.

Unless Jolly has a good game today, I'd say Sandilands would be in my team now. Duffield has impressed me as well and would be close to a spot in the squad of 40. Tarrant and Chaplin has good games in defence and increased the pressure on the other key defenders for a spot.
Simon Black is starting to find form as well. The improvement in Paul Bower as a pure defender has been exceptional. It can still be a bit of a worry when the ball is in his hands because he doesn't always make the best decision. But from a defending point of view he has been very impressive. Judd further cemented his spot in the AA team. Murphy had another good game. Gibbs finally had an influence on the result instead of just getting cheapish posessions. Fev finally delivered as well.

Eddie Betts would have to be out of the side now.

He's kicked too many of his goals when the game is already over, and has been quiet the last few weeks.

The two players to watch for me are Paul Duffield and Chris Knights.

Duffield's form in the past 6 weeks has been excellent, and is averaging nearly 24 disposals a game. And by the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the squad as a defender.

While Knights has been very good since being moved forward. Has kicked 14 goals in the last 4 matches, and has another 3 to 3/4 time today. If he continues with this form up forward, he'll go very close.

Edit: Make that 19 goals in 5 games for Knights.

I'm seeing a lot of teams without S.Fisher. I would have though he's been the best backmen in the league behind Scarlett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back