C: Leigh Montagna; Chris Judd (c); Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt (vc); Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson; Lance Franklin; Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox; Lenny Hayes; Gary Ablett
INT: Hamish Mcintosh Scott Pendlebury Joel Selwood; Aaron Davey

Changes to Aussie Gun
Davey Pendlebury Mcintosh IN
Jolly Sewell Enright OUT

Spot the dreamteam/supercoach junkie who get's confused between what being a midfielder and a defender involves. Your cracking list is what midfielders are meant to do. The fact you're saying I should pick defenders who 'make goals' means I should probably just ignore you. A defender is told to defend and stop his opponent. Presti is probably the best 1-on-1 defender in the game.

so wats the difference between a defender who soley shuts down a key forward, and a tagger like crowley for instance last year who effieicently solely shut down key opposition midfielders. for example i cant recall anyone else effecting ablett last year apart from crowley in that one point game at subi last year. crowley over and over again did the job, as do many other players in the league however presti receives a shit load more attention than the rest.

so wats the difference between a defender who soley shuts down a key forward, and a tagger like crowley for instance last year who effieicently solely shut down key opposition midfielders. for example i cant recall anyone else effecting ablett last year apart from crowley in that one point game at subi last year. crowley over and over again did the job, as do many other players in the league however presti receives a shit load more attention than the rest.
HE DIDN'T PLAY IN DEFENCE!!! You don't just chuck 22 players together. It's a team so you put them roughly in the positions they play. You're saying Crowley should be FB instead of Presti. Crowley tags midfielders, Presti shuts down guys over 190cm and 90kgs. That's why their is something called a key defender.

HE DIDN'T PLAY IN DEFENCE!!! You don't just chuck 22 players together. It's a team so you put them roughly in the positions they play. You're saying Crowley should be FB instead of Presti. Crowley tags midfielders, Presti shuts down guys over 190cm and 90kgs. That's why their is something called a key defender.

how in any way was i suggesting crowley to be named at full back. i thought that anyone on an afl forum would have enough common sense to realise the point i was making was that in the AA squad they dont pick a tagger. every team has one, every team needs one but they are overlooked every year.

your saying a key position defender is essential to a team, which i agree with but players like scarlett and glass provide this as well as effective rebound offence, hence why they are picked in AA squads.

how in any way was i suggesting crowley to be named at full back. i thought that anyone on an afl forum would have enough common sense to realise the point i was making was that in the AA squad they dont pick a tagger. every team has one, every team needs one but they are overlooked every year.

your saying a key position defender is essential to a team, which i agree with but players like scarlett and glass provide this as well as effective rebound offence, hence why they are picked in AA squads.
Because we were arguing about Presti being selected as a defender. So I don't know how we ended up on a tagger. I can understand where you're coming from in saying every team needs a tagger and over the past few years I've had a Ling, Kirk or Cornes in the side. This year I don't think there has been a dominant tagger. I think we are seeing the attacking midfielders getting the upper hand.
I can understand if you don't want Presti in the team, but your initial comment just sounded like you were bagging him for the sake of it and saying the AA team should be 22 players who can get possessions and kick goals.

Because we were arguing about Presti being selected as a defender. So I don't know how we ended up on a tagger. I can understand where you're coming from in saying every team needs a tagger and over the past few years I've had a Ling, Kirk or Cornes in the side. This year I don't think there has been a dominant tagger. I think we are seeing the attacking midfielders getting the upper hand.
I can understand if you don't want Presti in the team, but your initial comment just sounded like you were bagging him for the sake of it and saying the AA team should be 22 players who can get possessions and kick goals.

AA is all about induvidual performances.
i just dont think presti brings enough to the table to be considered.

Depends what you're looking for in a defenders performance. You want possessions and goals, I want someone who negates the opposition forward.

and im saying that if history tells us anything in regards to KPD, AA selectors look for players that bring both possesions, ball use and neagting oppostion key position players to the table.

Darren Glass had made previous teams. He's another who just focuses on beating his opponent.

i think darren glass and a lot of west coast eagles supporters would be offended in saying he solely focuses on beating his opponent. he continually provides the effecient link out kick from the back 50, which sets up the start of west coasts offensive plays.

you cant put the two in the same class, glass is mile ahead.

i think darren glass and a lot of west coast eagles supporters would be offended in saying he solely focuses on beating his opponent. he continually provides the effecient link out kick from the back 50, which sets up the start of west coasts offensive plays.

Yes, I'm sure every West Coast supporter is offended I stated their number one defender over the past decade focuses on defending. You are kidding right? I would have thought they would have roughly the same average possessions per game over their careers. Both extremely good 1-on-1. I'd say most Eagles fans would recognise Glass isn't the best attacking defender. Glass and Presti are extremely similar. Just say you don't like Presti as a player, stop trying to make reasons.

you very good at misunderstanding posts. i was implying theyd agree glass is a class above presti and brings to the table kicking and play making skills tha presti does not, or he might but we dont get the chance to see them.

i wont argue the fact any longer, i have made my point.

you very good at misunderstanding posts. i was implying theyd agree glass is a class above presti and brings to the table kicking and play making skills tha presti does not, or he might but we dont get the chance to see them.

i wont argue the fact any longer, i have made my point.
I agree he is a class above as well. But not this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so who's collingwood's tagger?

Yeh....the seasons Presti has spent injured.

ROFL at this whinging Fremantle fan. This is what supercoach does to people I guess.
The sad thing is that's exactly what it is. It's because he averages maybe 20 points a game, so people think he's rubbish. He does a brilliant job at blanketing opponents. I don't get this crap that he needs to have an attacking side to his game to get picked.

Notorious - lets get see serious - darren glass would not be in the best 4 full backs this year, hence "THIS YEAR". it is that simple - so because Zac Dawson is in a team that runs forward and his role is included in the rebound of the ball out of defensve 50 you would rate him a better fullback then Presti this year?
Two full backs are clearly ahead of all others this year - Scarlett (who is still the gun) and secondly presti, scarlettt will and should get the nod (barring injury).
But your arguement that glass would be picked before presti is completely wrong IMO.

so who's collingwood's tagger?
Collingwoods only recognised tagger (and i use the term very loosely) is Toovey, and his name should not be mentioned again in any thread relating to All Australian selection (unless there is an all australian team for players who butcher the ball)!

Collingwoods only recognised tagger (and i use the term very loosely) is Toovey, and his name should not be mentioned again in any thread relating to All Australian selection (unless there is an all australian team for players who butcher the ball)!
toovey is clearly not a tagger. he's a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back