NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Franchise Players/Free Agency/High Profile Releases

“The Red Zone” on SIRIUS NFL Radio, hosts Solomon Wilcots and Gil Brandt spoke with WR Joey Galloway, who was released today by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Host, Gil Brandt: “Was it a surprise to you because I still think you’ve still got a lot of gas left in your tank. You keep making those big plays and scoring TDs.”

Joey Galloway: “I wouldn’t say it was a surprise, especially with the way the season went for me last year in Tampa. I fully understand that when you sit down and start making business decisions that sometimes guys don’t fit into what you plan to do. So, as part of this business, today is my last day in Tampa and I’ll look for a new team.”

Host, Solomon Wilcots: “Do you plan to continue playing?”

Joey Galloway: “Absolutely. I feel great. Physically, at the end of last season, because I didn’t play a lot during that season, I came out probably as healthy as I’ve been in my 14 year career. So I’m pretty excited about what happens next. I’ve started working out, preparing myself, which I always do at this time of year. So I’m looking forward to it and I feel great physically, mentally. I’m looking forward to the new challenge. So we’ll see what happens.”

On the future of the Tampa Bay Bucs:
Joey Galloway: “I think Raheem Morris is a great coach. I think he is a very bright guy and I think he’s going to be great at it. I think that the people I know there in that organization and the players that I know that play for that team, I think they’re going to be a really good football team. It may not be next season. It may not be the season after but I think that is one of the teams that if you look and say ‘Ok, what team can get hot? What team can be that next great team?’ I would not be surprised at all if Tampa was to do it. They have great people there. Honestly, I’ve enjoyed my time there and I think they are all great people and I think they’ll be fine.”

On his future:
Joey Galloway: “I haven’t really had a chance to sit down and look around and think about teams. I’ve been fortunate to play for three great organizations in my career and as far as teams out there I’m just looking to play for somebody that hopefully wants to have a chance to win some football games, has a pretty good nucleus of veteran guys that are looking to go to the next level. So for me it’s not going to come down to certain coaches or maybe certain players. It’s going to come down to, I’d like to go to a team that’s looking to win something, heading in the right direction.”

Galloway: “Nobody’s out of the mix and that is one of the wonderful things about the NFL. Nobody would have picked the Cardinals to get to the Super Bowl. Each and every season it just seems like there are different teams that come out of nowhere and are able to become good football teams. So that makes it wide open and that makes it exciting for the fans, for the players, for the coaches, for everybody involved. It keeps it exciting. Believe me, I’ve been in it for 14 years and I have not caught on to that shooting star team yet so maybe this is my chance.”

BIG name in my eyes. At the right team he could be a monster

Has been whining for a new deal every single year after we give him one. Injuries have taken away his speed and he complains too much for the little production he's been producing. I hope to God we have someone lined up though.

He asked for the release as well. Hopefully that means we don't have to pay out his contract.

Update
Vernon Carey sign 6 yr deal with Dolphins.
Channing Crowder signs 3 yr deal with Dolphins.
I expect the Dolphins to pick up C Jason Brown from the Ravens on first day of FA.
Same with Coles.

Update
Vernon Carey sign 6 yr deal with Dolphins.
Channing Crowder signs 3 yr deal with Dolphins.
I expect the Dolphins to pick up C Jason Brown from the Ravens on first day of FA.
Same with Coles.

Bit annoyed by the Crowder signing, was hoping he'd be snaffled by the Broncos. Good solid ILB with 3-4 experience who could slot straight into the new look D...

Has been whining for a new deal every single year after we give him one. Injuries have taken away his speed and he complains too much for the little production he's been producing. I hope to God we have someone lined up though.

He asked for the release as well. Hopefully that means we don't have to pay out his contract.

Yeah, agreed. He's already 31 and didn't really do enough for the money that he has been getting. Got to have someone prepared you would think. Surely the Jets aren't that dumb.

The article said that he is still on the books for $6 million guaranteed in '09

BIG name in my eyes. At the right team he could be a monster

and a cancer. always found a way to promote disharmony in the change rooms. no doubt a handy player, but there's baggage that comes with it, including injuries.

Coles and Crotchery may have been a handy tandem at the Jets, but overall, it is a position which has been weak over the last few years. Neither are real deep threats. Im still flabbergasted that Tan-gini didnt make any major moves in the area during the big spending spree last off-season/drafting. at least its a dead certainty to be a focus this time around, whether in FA, trade or draft.

Have a read of this article http://was.scout.com/2/841569.html

I don't know if the author is an overly pessimistic Redskins fan, or someone who really knows what he's talking about, but if the article is true the Redskins are definitely going to have to cut some pretty big names to fit Haynesworth under the cap

Good read and makes one wonder how they could possibly sign AH. After reading that piece it seems all but impossible that he will be a Redskin but who knows? Snyder always seems to be able to land a big fish and the Skins seem to be perenially pushing the cap limit.

The Bucs could be a darkhorse here. They have around 65 mil. in cap space after the cuts they made and apparently have to spend 35-40 mil of that before next season as per league rules.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

Yeah, agreed. He's already 31 and didn't really do enough for the money that he has been getting. Got to have someone prepared you would think. Surely the Jets aren't that dumb.

The article said that he is still on the books for $6 million guaranteed in '09

Nah, Coles re-structured it so that he we don't owe him anything, which was good of him. He earns respect for doing that, but these last couple of years he's just been too much of a problem.

Can guarentee the "anonymous" quotes popping up in articles about the Jets from players will disappear now. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Report: Warner breaks off contract talks with AZ Cardinals
ESPN is reporting that Kurt Warner has broken off contract talks with the Arizona Cardinals.

The Cardinals and Warner were apparently unable to reach a deal before Warner's free agency status starts Friday.

Just Wednesday, the football star stopped by ABC15 and sounded optimistic about getting something done.

"I think we're making progress. We're talking and both sides are sharing," Warner said. "I think the idea is that they want me back. I want to be back, and so I think in some way, shape or form we'll be able to make this thing work, so it's the best thing for everybody. I think that's what everybody is looking for, we want to continue what we started last year. It'll just take some time."

It sounds like things have since changed, and neither side is willing to budge on their demands just weeks after the Cardinals Super Bowl appearance.

Various reports have said the two sides are $4 million dollars apart.

With free agency status starting Friday, Warner can now accept offers from other teams.

http://www.abc15.com/content/sports...act-talks-with-AZ/7rm7M20smkGNYvuVgKywOQ.cspx

Just give him his ****ing money Graves you tight fisted w***er.

Just a few notes...

FA just starting :D

Saturday staying with the Colts... If he had elft I probably would have given the Colts a 75% chance of finishing 500 or under.

Gibril to the Fins for 27.5 mill for 4 years... Decent deal there... Bell re-signed

Cowboys 40 yo back up in Johnson is cut... :(

I got this off a Ravens forum: Jason Brown to be released from the Ravens, his contract demands too high, and is reportedly off to the Dolphins or Redskins sometime today (US time). :) This cap room should allow Baltimore to sign Bart Scott and Ray Lewis to new contracts however.

As the clock struck midnight, CB DeAngelo Hall struck it rich.

Hall reached an agreement with the Washington Redskins on a six-year, $54 million deal that includes $22.5 million guaranteed and $30 million in the first three seasons.

Agents Alvin Keels and Joel Segal spent recent weeks negotiating with the Redskins and put the finishing touches on the deal as free agency kicked off.

Hall joined the Redskins in the middle of last season after being released by the Oakland Raiders.

Are they f***ing insane?

I know, I know . . . but even for the Skins that's just bloody stupid (cap or no cap)

First it was Fred Taylor, now Paul Spicer.:eek: Lucky Jimmy Smith retired or he would be next. Not sure what Gene Smith has planned, but it better be good.

They better bloody be investigated for cap breaches.

I wonder if the 'skins owner is convinced the salary cap is going so is splurging now and willing to take a hit?

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back