morris lake callan
hargave williams gilbee
boyd cross akermanis
higgins hahn murphy
welsh minson johnson
hudson cooney griffin
hill everitt giansiricusa addison

emg ward reid harbrow

harbrow can do some excting things but then let the whole team down for example agaisnt geelong in rnd 16 his man was darren milburn for f**k sake

eagleton is finished considering in the prelim he coondt kick the goal from 50 out in front thats the reason he is in the team

Just wondering what a Hawthorn supporter is doing declaring our players careers over?

I think that's just about the worst role you could pick for him (other than ruck). Being a tagger doesn't play to his strengths at all. He's too slow to keep up with most midfielders, and not fit enough to keep up with the rest of them. He's also much better suited to a role where he makes his opponent worry, as opposed to worrying about what his opponent might do. I think the forwardline is the best place for him, because it plays to those strnegths (and minimies the weaknesses) and also allows for all the turnover and 50/50 balls he wins to be quickly converted into shots on goal.

but he can go missing for large periods, either on the ball or up forward. With an opponent to lead him to the ball he would be involved in many more contests. I think we did shift him into the centre against sydney with great results this year, didnt we? To combat sydneys scrum style of play.

He could certainly train work on his endurance over the summer with an eye to a midfield role. I dont actually think his endurance is that bad, I remember him being up with the pack in time trails a year or three ago when he was playing midfield previously.

I understand that many on this forum think the defensive side of his game is great.

I am more basing it on his output. Has the guy ever got into double figures with his possessions? I do not think he has and this is what is needed.

I had been in the group critical of Harbrow and his lack of possession but he changed my opinion in the final series where he contributed strongly in all 3 games.

Actually in 12 games in 08 he reached double figure possessions 9 times including 16 in the prelim against Geelong.

Originally Posted by Mr. Walker

Has the guy ever got into double figures with his possessions? I do not think he has and this is what is needed.
I had been in the group critical of Harbrow and his lack of possession but he changed my opinion in the final series where he contributed strongly in all 3 games.

Actually in 12 games in 08 he reached double figure possessions 9 times including 16 in the prelim against Geelong.

Oh dear Mr Walker....a little embarrassing:eek:

but he can go missing for large periods, either on the ball or up forward. With an opponent to lead him to the ball he would be involved in many more contests. I think we did shift him into the centre against sydney with great results this year, didnt we? To combat sydneys scrum style of play.

He could certainly train work on his endurance over the summer with an eye to a midfield role. I dont actually think his endurance is that bad, I remember him being up with the pack in time trails a year or three ago when he was playing midfield previously.

Yeah, I agree that he does often go missing for long periods, but I don't see tagging as a viable option for him. Like I said, he doesn't really have the pace or acceleration to go with the zippy midfielders, and whilst I'm not sure on his endurance levels, I can't see him keeping up with the hard runners all day.

I don't mind the idea of chucking him into the middle to change it up a bit though, I remember around 2004 he was very good out of the centre. I just don't thing tagging would suit him though.

B: Gilbee Lake Hargrave
HB: Addison Williams Morris
C: Hill Boyd Griffen
HF: Hahn Murphy Higgins
F: Minson Welsh Johnson
Rucks: Hudson Cross
Rover: Cooney

Inter: Akermanis, Giansiracusa, Everitt, Tiller

Emerg: Ward, Harbrow, Skipper, Wight

Apologies to all the young pups that will defintely make their presence felt in 2009!

GO DOGS!!

The key is for players like Harbrow, Everitt, Tiller, Callan ect ect is if they are 'dropped' not to get put there heads down. It might even be just a matter of match ups that week that forces the coaches hand. None of them are million miles away from AFL football and they just have to go back to the VFL and show why they should be selected the following week.

^^^^

Look's pretty good.

I think we have to find room for Callan & Harbrow in that team.

Callan for possibly Tiller to play on the opposition's quickest small forward.

Harbrow for ?? , yeah it's hard, I just think he has to play as he has a lot to offer.

Agree......Harbow was the most difficult as he showed during the finals that he deserves his spot. However for team balance two smalls and two talls (with flexibility) was the way to go on the bench imo. If one of the ruckman gets injured during the game Williams can help for a small amount of time; with a new ruckman coming in the following week.

Likewise with Tiller.........he grew as a player against the Swans and then particularly against the Cats. If he can maintain that intensity, belief and for form he will be extremely valuable for us as he can play both forward and back.

The key is for players like Harbrow, Everitt, Tiller, Callan ect ect is if they are 'dropped' not to get put there heads down. It might even be just a matter of match ups that week that forces the coaches hand. None of them are million miles away from AFL football and they just have to go back to the VFL and show why they should be selected the following week.

Well put Butane!!

This level of competition amongst the group can only strengthen us.

With the squad now assembled, if you don't play well or stick to the team rules (especially defensively), make way for those that do and are playing well at Willy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B. Morris lake everitt

hb. Gilbee williams hargrave

c. Griffen boyd johnson

hf murphy hahn akermanis

f welsh skipper higgins

foll. Hudson cooney cross

inter. Giansiracusa minson harbrow addison

emerg. Eagleton hill ward

b. Callan o'shea roughead
hb. Tiller wight stack
c. Hill reid picken
hf. Lynch grant wood
f. Mulligan boumann o'keefe
foll. Cordy ward eagleton
inter. Shaw ogle jones daniels white

B. Morris lake everitt

c. Griffen boyd johnson

hf murphy hahn akermanis

f welsh skipper higgins

hb. Tiller wight stack
c. Hill reid picken
hf. Lynch grant wood

Seriously that is one of the laziest typing efforts I have seen.

I'd have Hill and Callan in the seniors and Welsh and Skipper will have their work cut out to make the senior side.

Yeah sorry bout that. Did have it in capitals then when it posted went crazy...

I think Skip could be used early until they get some quality game time into Bouey and Granty at Willi seniors. I still dont understand why no-one is putting Welsh in their starting teams. I thought he was quite valuable considering he was being played out of position for most of the season. His best footy is played in the forward fifty, not drifting up past half forward as he was instructed to do for a large portion of last season.

Yeah sorry bout that. Did have it in capitals then when it posted went crazy...

I think Skip could be used early until they get some quality game time into Bouey and Granty at Willi seniors. I still dont understand why no-one is putting Welsh in their starting teams. I thought he was quite valuable considering he was being played out of position for most of the season. His best footy is played in the forward fifty, not drifting up past half forward as he was instructed to do for a large portion of last season.

If Skipper is picked at any stage it is likely to indicate some serious injury issues.

Welsh is certainly in contention, but I would see him as likely to play off the bench. I believe he is past his best.

We will need to manage some older players like Welsh, Aker, Hudson and even Johnno to get them through the season. Mitch Hahn may need the occasional rest because of the physical style he plays.

B. Morris lake everitt

c. Griffen boyd johnson

hf murphy hahn akermanis

f welsh skipper higgins

hb. Tiller wight stack
c. Hill reid picken
hf. Lynch grant wood

Love this senior line up, minson and huddo to rotate, and skip at ff for the whole game.:thumbsu:

Love this senior line up, minson and huddo to rotate, and skip at ff for the whole game.:thumbsu:

Why are some posters in love with Skipper.
Going into his ninth year on the list with just 45 games.

If he can hold down a place in a full strength side we will also expect a cure for cancer and Collingwood to volunteer to play in all yellow.

_If_ hes fit, and _if_ he plays like a guy on his last chance (which he is), then I reckon he is our best bet at FF in the short term. Thats not so much a comment on Skippers ability, but on the quality of candidates we have for the FF position (in the short term).

Who is his competition?

Minson? Not good enough and is needed to take the workload off Hudson in the ruck so we can get a full year out of him.

Grant? not yet.

Johno? Lets not go there again

Welsh? Is dangerous, but not in the long target role.

Now we get the sound of scraping wood because we have hit the bottom of the barrel.

_If_ hes fit, and _if_ he plays like a guy on his last chance (which he is), then I reckon he is our best bet at FF in the short term. Thats not so much a comment on Skippers ability, but on the quality of candidates we have for the FF position (in the short term).

Who is his competition?

Minson? Not good enough and is needed to take the workload off Hudson in the ruck so we can get a full year out of him.

Grant? not yet.

Johno? Lets not go there again

Welsh? Is dangerous, but not in the long target role.

Now we get the sound of scraping wood because we have hit the bottom of the barrel.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather play a Higgins/Johnson/Giansiracusa full-forward then a 'tall' who's not up to it. Worked for West Coast when they won the flag.

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather play a Higgins/Johnson/Giansiracusa full-forward then a 'tall' who's not up to it. Worked for West Coast when they won the flag.

Well put Butane.
No point in a long target who hardly gets the ball or provides a contest.

Minson was pretty good last year and his leading and marking improved greatly late in the season.

If Skipper is the answer the question must be
"Who will be delisted/finished at the end of 2009?"

West Coast had Lynch at FF(3 goals) and Hansen at CHF(2goals) and providing 5 of the 12 goals scored. You can't win a flag without at least 1 tall forward.

You cant look just at the individual performance of the player(s) up forward. The makeup of the forward line, particularly at FF affects the whole side.

I think it puts too much pressure on our midfield to have to hit up short targets on a lead 100% of the time. And it makes us too predictable.

If our only options are a quality small or Minson, then Ill take Minson, (while regretting that Hudson has to take the full ruck load and risk breaking down at the business end again.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 Starting Lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back