2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the Adelaide game Taylor's second half of the year hasn't been as good as his 1st. Frawley has been awesome in the run home. Neither is a certainty imo. As was mentioned before not many standout defensive defenders. Maybe that's just the nature of the current era though. More attacking defenders and defensive forwards seem to be the trend at the moment.

Locks for my team:

B: ????? - Lake - ?????
HB: Goddard - ????? - ?????
C: Pendlebury - Selwood - Chapman
HF: Didak - Franklin - Ablett
F: ????? - Riewoldt - ?????
R: Sandilands - Hodge - Swan
INT: Hayes - ????? - ????? - ?????

Green can become a lock with a good performance today.

Deledio, Enright, Frawley, Taylor and Gilbert fighting for the 4 defensive spots. Judd, Boyd, Montagna fighting for two of the other mids on the bench. Pav, Green, Hall, Goodes and LeCras for the forward spots.

And yet you don't even include Steve Johnson, with these numbers below, as any chance at selection.

You can throw in the score involvements stat or whatever it's called too, as i'm sure he'd be doing well in that area.

The hatred is astounding.

forwards_stats2.jpg

Brad Green hurt his chances today. Jamar did very little around the ground but 37 hitouts is nothing to laugh at and Brogan is a quality opponent.

James Frawley really had a bit of a nothing game. I don't really know what Bailey was doing with him. Gray and Schultz were clearly going to be their two most dangerous forwards yet he put Garland and Warnock on them respectively. It took until the 3rd quarter for Frawley to be put on Gray and I'm pretty sure he kept him goaless after that. Please don't turn Frawley into a Fletcher Dean Bailey!

It's no hatred. The other cats poster summed it up perfectly. He didn't think SJ had been that influential this season, then looked at his stats and said he should be selected. That makes no sense. He has been good and I should have included him in those names since I included LeCras.

Plus I don't hate SJ. I hate this trend that if you don't rate players you must hate them or the club. Some Hawks poster accused me of hating Hawthorn because I rate Riewoldt ahead of Buddy early in the year. Stupid.

Grundy has been on a good run of form and slips in ahead of Fisher. Watson unlucky but Thomas just keeps performing. Mumford holds on for now. Hudson was ok on the weekend. No idea with the last two forward spots. Schneider and Brown could easily be substituted for any of the unlucky's.

In: Deledio
Out: Pavlich

It's really Pav/Hall in the pocket. Can't split them because they have both been fairly inconsistent. For that reason I wouldn't rule out Goodes/SJ and LeCras just yet. One massive game from one of those three next week might be enough. I've probably hung on to Pav's early season form for too long.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a fair few mid types as forwards this year:

HF: Thomas - Franklin - Chapman
F: Didak - Riewoldt - Ablett

Finally the reverse coleman stats have been shown:

Brian Lake 21
Troy Chaplin 24
James Frawley 26
Dale Morris 27
Dustin Fletcher 28

I wish they made this stat public because I'd like to see where Taylor is. Chaplin the surprise from that list. I talked him up early but then he had a shocking few weeks and I jumped right off him. Same with Carlile.

Finally.

Chaplin had a superb game today but I wouldn't have him in the AA team.

There needs to be a big asterisk next to Dustin Fletcher!

I reckon you've got it spot on Aussie gun except i have a feeling they will squeeze in a midfielder instead of Barry Hall. I really like your work.

Finally.

Chaplin had a superb game today but I wouldn't have him in the AA team.

There needs to be a big asterisk next to Dustin Fletcher!

Why? All that shows it that he has been one of the best rebounding defenders in the game this year without giving away many goals at all. Injuries might keep him out of the team, but that's the only thing that should. Where are O'Brien, Deledio and the other so-called 'defenders' on that Reverse Coleman list?

Why? All that shows it that he has been one of the best rebounding defenders in the game this year without giving away many goals at all. Injuries might keep him out of the team, but that's the only thing that should. Where are O'Brien, Deledio and the other so-called 'defenders' on that Reverse Coleman list?

Because the reverse Coleman should be used to judge how good the best defenders are at stopping the best forwards. Fletcher doesn't play on the best forwards. Simple. He picks a weak forward to play on and consequently doesn't get many goals kicked on him. He is a fantastic rebounder though but that is definitely a statistic that could be misleading.

But in AA discussions, Fletcher isn't being judged as a full-back anyway - he is being judged against the Gilbert/Malceski/O'Brien/Enright/Deledio-type defenders, and all those reverse-Coleman statistics demonstrate is that he is a far better 'pure' defender than any of them, whilst also providing the drive of a rebounding backman.

Swallow and Harvey were very good again today. Harvey having been in the side before has the runs on the board and is an able on baller or forward pocket. I'll spew if he doesn't get a nod this year. Has been consistent and prolific all year as well as kicking the big goals in our wins.
Swallow needs another couple of years of this sort of form in my book but is mapping out a consistent couple of seasons at the moment.
On a side note as much as I hate them I can't help but be amazed at the improvement in Dale Thomas. Great season and deserves to be in the initial squad. The rest well what everyone expected really, tomayto tomato.......

I really don't get the love for Pavlich this year. He has been very quiet for a while now and Franklin has been better. I don't think there's room for both of them in the AA team and on form throughout the year I'd choose Buddy.

According to raw stats Franklin has been the best forward quite easily this year. Here is a comparision to Jack Riewoldt for example

Disposals per game -
Franklin - 18.3
Riewoldt - 11.8

Marks per game -
Franklin - 5.4
Riewoldt - 5.8

Goals per game -
Franklin - 3.5
Riewoldt - 3.6

The goals and marks are pretty close to even, whilst Buddy gets 6 and a half more possesions than Jack.

Mind you Buddys averages per game for goals and disopsals this year would both be CAREER BEST figures for Jacks cousin Nick Riewoldt!!

Anyone who thinks Buddy hasn't had a great this year is truly misguided. His year this year is better than anything Nick Riewoldt has ever produced ( statistically speaking )

Swallow and Harvey were very good again today. Harvey having been in the side before has the runs on the board and is an able on baller or forward pocket. I'll spew if he doesn't get a nod this year. Has been consistent and prolific all year as well as kicking the big goals in our wins.
Has he though? He has had some absolute stinkers this season. I don't think Harvey has been good enough to warrant an outcry if he isn't picked. He is in no man's land for the squad. Mids have been better and he hasn't kicked enough goals to make the forwards section. Selectors will probably squeeze him in somewhere.

imo Swallow has been better from North anyway.

I still think Goodes is being underrated but he is in the same position as Harvey. Half mid / half forward but he has kicked enough goals to be picked as a forward. Coming 7th in The Age player of the year votes. Top 10 in the coaches votes as well.

re: HAD, I'd say games missed is why some people aren't picking Franklin.

It's no hatred. The other cats poster summed it up perfectly. He didn't think SJ had been that influential this season, then looked at his stats and said he should be selected. That makes no sense. He has been good and I should have included him in those names since I included LeCras.

It make sens ein that eventually you have to realise that your own observations aren't the be all and end all, and raw stats show he's been very good in a lot of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me, or has Deledio gone past Murphy and Gibbs as no. 1 picks? They're not even considered. Yeah sure, Deledio plays a flanker game but Gibbs often does too and Deledio has often got a major tag, he doesn't have Judd to take pressure off him. I don't think Deledio will make AA but he's clearly shown his worth as a no.1 pick IMO, a class player.

Is it just me, or has Deledio gone past Murphy and Gibbs as no. 1 picks? They're not even considered. Yeah sure, Deledio plays a flanker game but Gibbs often does too and Deledio has often got a major tag, he doesn't have Judd to take pressure off him. I don't think Deledio will make AA but he's clearly shown his worth as a no.1 pick IMO, a class player.

Yes Deledio = late bloomer like Luke Hodge. I think Deledio will just keep getting better and better and better

But in AA discussions, Fletcher isn't being judged as a full-back anyway - he is being judged against the Gilbert/Malceski/O'Brien/Enright/Deledio-type defenders, and all those reverse-Coleman statistics demonstrate is that he is a far better 'pure' defender than any of them, whilst also providing the drive of a rebounding backman.
No it doesn't. It merely proves how lucky Fletcher was to be shifted away from Mark Lecras after he'd conceded 3 goals in less than 2 minutes. If Fletcher had been a better "pure" defender he would've stayed on LeCras for the entire game and shut him down. Not that I'm knocking Fletcher, just the logic of your post.

Finally the reverse coleman stats have been shown:

Brian Lake 21
Troy Chaplin 24
James Frawley 26
Dale Morris 27
Dustin Fletcher 28

I wish they made this stat public because I'd like to see where Taylor is. Chaplin the surprise from that list. I talked him up early but then he had a shocking few weeks and I jumped right off him. Same with Carlile.

In my opinion, the "Reverse Coleman" is a load of shit. You can't blame defenders for conceding goals or credit them for stopping goals without taking into consideration all the other factors involved.

Things to consider:
  • the quality and form of opponents they play on
  • the quality (and quantity) of passes which their opponent receives
  • the help they get from other defenders
  • the help they give other defenders (maybe they conceded a goal because they had to cover two men)
Has a full back played a good game when the full forward took 20 marks, kicked 2.11 and handballed off about 3 or 4 goals?

What about the goals which a defender costs his team, but doesn't concede to his direct opponent? (eg some of Brian Lake's poor efforts from the previous weekend vs Geelong - silly frees, turnovers, missed tackles, fumbles, misjudged spolis, etc, etc)

Reverse Coleman... Pfft... Reverse Kanga, more like it...

I've said a hundred times I haven't watched as much football as last year, so don't value my opinion anymore than the next guy.

From what I've seen Johnson hasn't been as influential in games as stats suggest. He took a while to get going and then really hit his form after his 3 week break.

I'd say games missed is why some people aren't picking Franklin.
How many good games does Buddy Franklin have to play before people will STFU about the paltry 5 games he missed early in the season? Jesus H, it's not like he has missed 7 or 8 games. The MRP have robbed Buddy of this year's Coleman Medal and now people wanna rob him of an All Australian guernsey (for the 2nd time!)

Franklin has played more good games in 2010 than ANY of the other forwards, Jack Riewoldt included.

The All Australian team is supposed to be about picking the best team of the year. It's not about picking the best team from players who played 20 or more games.

Even if you pretend Buddy hasn't missed a game, just on total stats, he's still done more than just about any other forward. And it's not just his stats. People must have blinkers on, not to notice the quality of Franklin's around-the-ground play. If Joe Bloggs did some off the stuff that Buddy does, they'd be going nuts.

I will puke if lesser-performed forwards like Pavlich, Hall, Stevie J, Green and LeCras are selected ahead of Franklin

According to raw stats Franklin has been the best forward quite easily this year. Here is a comparision to Jack Riewoldt for example

Disposals per game -
Franklin - 18.3
Riewoldt - 11.8

Marks per game -
Franklin - 5.4
Riewoldt - 5.8

Goals per game -
Franklin - 3.5
Riewoldt - 3.6

The goals and marks are pretty close to even, whilst Buddy gets 6 and a half more possesions than Jack.

Mind you Buddys averages per game for goals and disopsals this year would both be CAREER BEST figures for Jacks cousin Nick Riewoldt!!

Anyone who thinks Buddy hasn't had a great this year is truly misguided. His year this year is better than anything Nick Riewoldt has ever produced ( statistically speaking )

Spot on Chewy, I posted this before ^^^

He will make it, no doubt. If he doesn't it would be farcicial

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back