2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooney was AA in 07!

Mooney was superb in 2007, easily deserved his spot.

I can not agree that Pods has had a better year at all. You say he's just a solid contributor in a good side? What's Pods then? He kicks bags of goals when Geelong pump teams down at KP and that's it.

Travis Cloke has kicked 2 goals in the 3 Collingwood losses and draw combined. And only 2 bags of 5 in 'demolition jobs'.

I'm all for Cloke as AA. We need a decision so utterly ridiculous that AFL greats, fans and every other stakeholder invades AFL house and throws the idiots in charge of AA, the rules committee, the umpires and the administration as a whole into the river/bay.

Mooney AA in '07 was a genuine joke. But Cloke in '10 would be a joke of far more epic proportions.

Moons did manage 60 odd goals that year.

This, from a pies fan, take note lozza63.

I'm all for Cloke as AA. We need a decision so utterly ridiculous that AFL greats, fans and every other stakeholder invades AFL house and throws the idiots in charge of AA, the rules committee, the umpires and the administration as a whole into the river/bay.

Heh, damn straight! Ooh yeah, let allow goals that bit the post and bounce in to be goals, it's not freaking rugby!

Richo, Nev, Lunchlady - it is ok, you guys are correct - re Cloke I became somewhat over exuberant - and acknowledge he is not up to AA yet.

Clokey has had a relative return to form, deep down I KNOW he has not yet had the scoreboard pressure that we would expect of a centre-half forward. I do believe his forward entries and ability in the air make him vital for us.

Got my nose outta joint when Richo rebutted.

Consider my nom withdrawn - yet I hope his potential will one day be fulfilled and he can reach the mantra of the best power forward in the game, at 23 there is time, and he is making good strides towards that (although I suspect that with Buddy and Roughie out there competition will be stiff)!

No sweat buddy. :thumbsu:

Of course Cloke is vital to your team. There are many players vital to their teams. Doesn't mean he'll get picked IMO. Harvey is vital to North, and has had a much better season than Cloke, but he wont get picked is my prediction. Cloke benefits from being in the side that he's in. I think Cloke is a good player but I think he's a little off AA. When midfield generals like Boyd who has been super all season even in their losses is still iffy, you realise that an AA spot is a battle, to get picked should be a recognition of a fantastic season. To me, Cloke has been good, but he hasn't been fantastic. LeCras, he's been fantastic. Montagna, a great season. Taylor, great season. Franklin, great season. These are the types that should make it, not Cloke. I suspect pies fans that you'll get your fill, so don't panic, but in reality clubs shouldn't really spend too much time worrying about whether their players get AA spots, as long as they win you games, and if Cloke has a flag this year, honestly, who really cares?

Gilbert Lake ??????????
Enright Taylor Goddard
Pendlebury Selwood Chapman
Didak Franklin Ablett
????????? Riewoldt ?????????
Sandilands Hodge Swan
Montagna ???????? Judd ???????​

Yeah I think that's pretty much how I'd have it

????? - Lake - ?????
Enright - Taylor - Goddard
Pendlebury - Selwood - Chapman
Didak - Franklin - Ablett
????? - Riewoldt - ?????
Sandilands - Hodge - Swan
Montagna - Hayes - Judd - ?????

Green is pretty safe for one of the pockets for my team.

Deledio, Frawley, Gilbert, Goodes, Hall, Pavlich, SJ and LeCras the others in contention. Maybe O'Brien if he has a BOG and guys like Deledio and Gilbert are woeful but I doubt I'll bring him in.

Put my team in for the original thread and copped a bit of flack, but here's my new team with the season almost done.

Enright Lake Fletcher
Hodge Taylor Goddard
Selwood Swan Montagna
Ablett Riewoldt Didak
S Johnson Hall Green
Sandilands Judd Hayes

Matthew Pavlich, Paul Chapman, Scott Pendlebury, Harry O'Brien

Rest of the Squad:

Backs:
James Frawley, Brett Deledio, Sam Gilbert, Brady Rawlings, Nick Malceski
Mids: Nick Dal Santo, Mark Jamar, Adam Cooney, Shane Mumford, James Kelly, Matthew Boyd, Marc Murphy, Andrew Swallow
Forwards: Mark LeCras, Lance Franklin, Eddie Betts, Brent Harvey, Dale Thomas

After Round 21:

B: O'Brien - Lake - Frawley
HB: Deledio - Taylor - Goddard
C: Pendlebury - Selwood - Montagna
HF: Chapman - Franklin - Ablett
F: Didak - J. Riewoldt - Hall
R: Sandilands - Hodge - Swan
I: Hayes - Judd - D. Thomas - Enright

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put my team in for the original thread and copped a bit of flack, but here's my new team with the season almost done.

Enright Lake Fletcher
Hodge Taylor Goddard
Selwood Swan Montagna
Ablett Riewoldt Didak
S Johnson Hall Green
Sandilands Judd Hayes

Matthew Pavlich, Paul Chapman, Adam Cooney, Harry O'Brien

Rest of the Squad:

Backs:
James Frawley, Brett Deledio, Sam Gilbert, Brady Rawlings, Nick Malceski
Mids: Nick Dal Santo, Mark Jamar, Scott Pendlebury, Shane Mumford, James Kelly, Matthew Boyd, Marc Murphy, Andrew Swallow
Forwards: Mark LeCras, Lance Franklin, Eddie Betts, Brent Harvey, Dale Thomas

Note - Left out Pendlebury because the selectors normally leave out young players on their first break out season.

Do I have to say it again?

Fletcher - His 2010 = Maxwell 2009. A good year, but they don't take the best defender, they play loose, therefore shouldn't be rewarded with AA selection.

Montagna - yes, he's had a good year, but this isn't Pendles' 'break out season'. He's been a gun for three years now, at least.

Johnson - You're joking right? Good season, yes, but not great. Mark LeCras has kicked more goals in a losing team - Stevie J wouldn't get a game if LeCras was on Geelong's list.

O'Brien - Overrated. Fullstop. Period. End of story.

The players in bold are the players that come in.

I agree with the O'Brien comment and the Fletcher comment, except for the fact that loose defenders shouldn't make the team because they are important part of modern football. The Johnson/Le Cras comment regarding getting a game at Geelong is rubbish though.

Johnson - You're joking right? Good season, yes, but not great. Mark LeCras has kicked more goals in a losing team - Stevie J wouldn't get a game if LeCras was on Geelong's list.

look at how dumb you are

lecras offers goals and nothing else - he's a one trick pony and selfish to boot

johnson not only kicks plenty of goals, but sets up many more

besides, if we didn't share the ball around so much, johnson would be well ahead of lecras on goals anyway

look at how dumb you are

lecras offers goals and nothing else - he's a one trick pony and selfish to boot

johnson not only kicks plenty of goals, but sets up many more

besides, if we didn't share the ball around so much, johnson would be well ahead of lecras on goals anyway

I know that it was a dumb post by eth38 but don't fight ignorance with further ignorance.

i'm not the only one who has leveled this accusation

prefers to take a ping from an impossible angle than pass it to a teammate

When you've got Quinten Lynch in the goal square, you're better to take the shot.

The Johnson/Le Cras comment regarding getting a game at Geelong is rubbish though.

Yeah, good point.

I was just trying to say that they are very similar players - medium sized forwards who can snap them from just about everywhere - but LeCras has kicked more goals in a wooden spoon team.

Especially considering he didn't make it last year with 70 odd goals...he's been unlucky

say what you will about the q-stick, but he did manage to boot 60 in a premiership team, and thats more than lecras has ever done

Le Cras's kicked about that this year in a team with much worse midfield delivery. No Judd, Kerr, Cousins and Embley (at his peak) streaming through the midfield to deliver it lace out to young Mark. I'd rate that as a better effort than Quinten's. It's definitely not Mark's fault that West Coast was so terrible this year.

Umm, he was in the 40 man squad last year and polled the most brownlow votes at Collingwood. His breakout season was 2007!

Fair enough. I wouldn't of said his 2009 season was anything spectacular (he wasn't poor by any means, but in the top 13 midfielders?), but if he made the squad last year, he'll definitely make the team this year as he's been fantastic.

Also, by 'breakout' season, I mean the point where they go from good, talented young player - dominating the occasional game, to All Australian contender - dominating almost every game. My example would be Marc Murphy, who had been a good player in his first three years, but 2009 was his first real stand out season. Despite kicking 30+ goals and getting a heap of the ball, he was left in the squad.

I know Pendlebury was a good player before this year, but this is the first year he's really dominated week in, week out (in my eyes anyway).

Johnson - You're joking right? Good season, yes, but not great. he has kicked more goals in a losing team - Stevie J wouldn't get a game if LeCras was on Geelong's list.

Kicking more goals in a losing team as a better performance is a fallacy. Mark LeCras has had a good season, but should Stevie J suffer because Geelong has multiple avenues to goal, compared to West Coast's two (LeCras is the only avenue at the moment).

Steve Johnson - 54 goals, 22 goal assists
Mark LeCras - 62 goals, 9 goal assists

Johnson has played two less games as well.

I seem to remember having this same argument, but about Eddie Betts in the last thread..

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back